Page 1 of 23
... LastLast

My parents want me to move out

Hello guys,

My parents want me to move out of the house. I graduated from high school and I'm still not sure what I want to do next with my career. I am 18 and I don't have a job. My parents asked me to move out. They basically said you're 18, you're an adult, it's time for you to move out of the house. I was surprised and I'm not too sure what to do. Should I leave and stop talking to my parents? How can they just decide one day that they can throw me out like a piece of garbage? Any advice?

Tell them you'll move out when you have a stable job.

Tough spot to be for sure. Sadly once your 18 they can kick you out since you are no longer their responsibility. I' am 23 still live at home, I do have a job and some money saved up. If you can try and make an agreement with them, like say you will look for a job and start paying rent then start with that.

this happened to me, I deserved it, best decision they could have ever made.

I am now a successful father of 2 with a 6 figure income and I never looked back.

Embrace it, I'm sure they have their reasons.

I'm here to tell you, you will be fine, it will be rocky at first, you will be mad at them. I didn't talk to my parents for about 9 months.

Things eventually settle down. I was a jerk and made some really bad decisions that could have gotten them into a lot of trouble.

I'm assuming you live in the US.

If so, when you turn 18 you are a legal adult and any legal obligations your parents had to feed, clothe, and shelter you are now gone.

So yes, they can just throw you out -- it's not illegal, but perhaps heartless.

I'd strongly recommend applying to every and any job out there -- you might want to hit up temp agencies as well as they might turn into a real gig and generally give you more long term skills than burger flipping. Also, see if you can find a couch to crash on or someone who might need a roommate who would be sympathetic to someone who is short on cash.

It's a hard situation, but just remember it's just temporary.

All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Try talking with them and come up with a plan. That plan should include actively looking for a job, securing a job, finding a reasonable / affordable place to live, etc. It is likely that they don't just want to kick you out, but are trying to give you a kick in the butt to get moving on with your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Twix View Post
    Hello guys,

My parents want me to move out of the house. I graduated from high school and I'm still not sure what I want to do next with my career. I am 18 and I don't have a job. My parents asked me to move out. They basically said you're 18, you're an adult, it's time for you to move out of the house. I was surprised and I'm not too sure what to do. Should I leave and stop talking to my parents? How can they just decide one day that they can throw me out like a piece of garbage? Any advice?
    What should you do? Move the fuck out.

Oh to be a teenager again...lol.

Sounds like your parents are just throwing you in the deep end. It's not like they're disowning you, they're forcing you into a position that forces you to take some responsibility. Anytime someone says "They basically said..." it means they're leaving out information that will paint them in a poor light.

I don't know what is with kids today thinking they have to know what they want to do for a career before bothering to get a job. Go get a job. Any job. Plenty of them out there for kids your age. Yes the vast majority of them aren't glamorous but it's time to get off your ass and start becoming productive and that's all your parents are trying to do I am certain.

It certainly doesn't sound like they don't love you or anything like that, so your "should I stop talking to them" comment is very...well...teen angsty and over dramatic.

My advice, sit down and talk with your parents, tell them you are looking for work [and actually look for work]. Workout a timeframe and go from there.

I went through the very same thing with my parents when I was younger and have been on my own since I was 17 and I'm a much better person for it.

www.indeed.com is your friend.

Hello guys,

If you don't have any prospects for additional education you can't really blame them. It's how many parents teach their children self-reliance. You need to talk to them about a time table for getting a job and a place. After that you need to get... a.... job. Apply everywhere and anywhere. You only have a high school diploma so there isn't a job you're too good for. If you have to scrub toilets, then go scrub toilets. After you get a job, find a place you can afford. Often this means moving in as a roommate or renter to someone else as you're just starting out. Then, move into your new place and start getting used to life. Try to work your way up to making more money so you can afford your own place.

Tell them to let you get a stable job and then sit one day with them and let them explain to you how things are out there (i mean... what you would need to do, pay, etc...)

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    If you can try and make an agreement with them, like say you will look for a job and start paying rent then start with that.
    This is the best advice in my opinion. Strike a deal with them -- ask for a probationary period while you find a job and then offer to pay for rent and what not. That's the deal my mum has with my sister (she's 21 now, my brother and I have moved out already since he's getting married and I am at university) -- she can stay if she helps pay for rent and utilities (she does still get free food). My mum's logic is that she could rent out the spare rooms in the house to someone else and get some extra money.

If you actually try to find a job to get your own live - your parents are twats.
    If you don't actually try to find a job to get your own live - your parents are right to throw you out .. but they are still kinda twats.

Would need more info on this besides "my parents want to throw me out and I don't have a job" to make a better guess or give proper advise besides look for a job asap and try to stall. .

Herald of the Titans
    Are you putting any effort into looking for a job, or going to school?

Perhaps they are saying this to get you off your butt and into life beyond high school. If you ask them WHY, perhaps you'll figure this out.

There's always joining the military. It's a great way to get started in life, and get some job skills.

Tell them if they like people moving out so much they should do it themselves.

Deleted
    tell them if they ever want to see you again or ever want to see their grand children they'll wait until you have a proper stable job and a roof above your head.

Join the military. I'm serious. They have like 20,000 professions, get a usable profession like mechanic or lineman. And there are a lot of good benefits, especially if you want to attend college. And you get 2-3 years to figure out what you want to do.

If that's not to your liking, the economy is really taking off at the moment. You should be able to get a decent job really easily. Don't give up after 2 or 3 applications, really go after a job, send out like 40-50 applications. Learn from your interview and plan how to do better next interview.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Hello guys,

Why be mad at them, you are a piece of trash they are throwing out... an expensive piece of trash. Now do something to prove them wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    tell them if they ever want to see you again or ever want to see their grand children they'll wait until you have a proper stable job and a roof above your head.
    Don't say that, that's a bad idea

Not much you can do OP if they're serious you're just going to have to find a job and move out. Either that or try and reason with them like I'll move out once I have a steady job and save up some money to put down on an apartment. Or ask if you can pay rent at your own home. Either way its fucked that your parents are doing this to you OP and I'm wishing the best of luck to you

I left home when i was 16 (UK), I moved to London (mid 80's) and got a job and accommodation within a day of arriving, I've done a lot in my life since then, but it was the best decision i ever made.. Although now, i think most people would struggle doing what i did because of the way the world is these days.. I was looking for work a year of so ago, so doing the walk into a place and asking you get greeted with "Apply online only". Always difficult to find work without the internet these days.

If your parents want you to move out, maybe they would come to some sort of compromise, offer to find a job and give them some rent from your wage, or ask if they'd allow you to stay a few more months to get work and save money for rent.. If you feel you don't want to talk to them after that, then it's entirely your choice.