Page 1 of 12
... LastLast
    Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

How much do YOU pay for internet access?

So, my family pays about $90 a month just for internet, which includes:

Wifi, 4 ethernet ports on router, ~200kb/s torrent download speeds, and can run netflix + wow easily on one computer. (thats all i know)

Does this sound like too much to be paying a month? We have service in Minneapolis, Minnesota USA through CenturyLink.

What do you pay for yours and what does it include?

Deleted
    120mb/s, 25euro a month, Poland. Most stuff is pretty cheap here.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Helgrimm View Post
    So, my family pays about $90 a month just for internet, which includes:

Wifi, 4 ethernet ports on router, ~200kb/s torrent download speeds, and can run netflix + wow easily on one computer. (thats all i know)

Does this sound like too much to be paying a month? We have service in Minneapolis, Minnesota USA through CenturyLink.

What do you pay for yours and what does it include?
    DEAR LORD that is MEGA ULTRA RIP-oFF! Seriosly, you americans are being seriously buttfucked in this department.

100/100mbit 11,85EUR/month no data limit 11MB/s torrent upload/download + 3EUR monthly for REAL public ip, no modem just pure connection to internet direct IP on computer.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just changed my mother's CenturyLink package in that same area. She pays about half of what you do for 40mbps speeds. Honestly, if you just play wow + netflix you don't need that kind of speed.

I pay ~50/mo for 65mb down.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fauier View Post
    DEAR LORD that is MEGA ULTRA RIP-oFF!
    It's not really a rip-off, since there isn't an alternative.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I just changed my mother's CenturyLink package in that same area. She pays about half of what you do for 40mbps speeds. Honestly, if you just play wow + netflix you don't need that kind of speed.

- - - Updated - - -

Gawd okay, time to call em then i guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Helgrimm View Post
    Gawd okay, time to call em then i guess.
    If you're gonna call them, ask about 6-12month promotions they might have, and mention the 'loyalty' programs
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

i'm with-in a 1/8th to 1/4 of a mile in two directions from my house of two Fiber hoods till it spreads 30 mbs for 59.00 a month +taxes. The US lags very far behind in this area, and most people don't even realize it. If / when they bring the Fiber over i'll be trying the 1Gbps up/down for 100.00 /month.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Then it's a MONOPOLY rip-off. It's definition of ULTRA rip-off. Aren't there antimonopoly laws? I know in EU there are!

Also i don't know what can you solve by calling them, since you can't do nothing else and they will just laugh or i don't know, but you can try i guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    $90 for 150MB up and 25MB down

Cannot wait until Google Fiber goes nationwide and ass rams Comcast.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

$140/month for 100/40 fibre with unlimited data. My mobile phone is bundled in this plan along with a netflix account, an internet pvr and some other basic stuff (website hosting etc.) I think it's $90 for just the internet alone.
    Last edited by Jakexe; 2015-07-25 at 08:50 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    €39.90 for 100/10, includes my TV channels etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbotef View Post
    $90 for 150MB up and 25MB down

Cannot wait until Google Fiber goes nationwide and ass rams Comcast.
    I'm sure many are all for that but I just don't see that happening in my lifetime or even someone who was literally born yesterday.

Deleted
    €15 20/4

Old house, the newer ones across the street have 40/8 for €17
    But at least it is stable and works well even with torrents ( last provider limited them greatly )

My cousin that lives a couple of miles away has 100/20 for €30 , that's what you get if you live in the wrong neighborhood !

The Lightbringer Archmage Alodi's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    120Mbps , around 35 euros.
    THE HORDE WILL ENDURE
    THE HORDE IS STRONG!

10+ Year Old Account
    Then it's a MONOPOLY rip-off. It's definition of ULTRA rip-off. Aren't there antimonopoly laws? I know in EU there are!
    There are and aren't. Antimonopoly laws are in place when one company prevents other companies from rising up. This is a case (due to government regulation) where, by simply doing nothing, no other companies can rise up. It's too expensive to do so. Natural Monopolies are a problem but you can't 'do' anything about it. They can't make a company 'do' something to let other companies in.

Also i don't know what can you solve by calling them, since you can't do nothing else and they will just laugh or i don't know, but you can try i guess
    He can get a lower, cheaper package. It doesn't fix anything with the situation but it costs less for effectively the same thing.

The extra $40 is not worth being able to download a movie or tv show a few minutes faster.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a 4Mbps ADSL line with 100GB data usage a month, my data usage "rolls over" indefinitely though, meaning if I only use 50GB this month I'll start next with 150GB and so on..

Costs ~R620.00 / month for the ISP and ADSL line rental. That's about $50 USD. Rather on the pricey side by international standards I guess, but it's pretty much the best available to me in my area.

6$ per month for 25/25MBit optical (unlimited traffic, naturally). However I had to buy my own equipment, cables and pay for installation around 200-250$ in total.
    I can change my tariff to 50/50 (8$ per month) or 100/100 (10$), but I see very little point in it, since I very rarely need more than that and my 1040 routers peak at around 45-50MBit between them inside my home anyways. A 10/10 (4$ per month) plan is also available, but that is a bit low for me.
    Anyways, for me it is not about speed, but about stability of connection. My old provider gave me 50/25 for similar price, but ping times were too unstable (I'm talking about 100-250ms low-high variations). Now my ping times are 36-37 dead stable in WoW. And even though I get only 25MBit download now, I am more than happy for the change.
    Last edited by Gaaz; 2015-07-25 at 09:20 AM.

I pay $50 for 25MB, I have a great connection at all times, but do notice issues when streaming netflix, having phones, tablets and updates going.

Deleted
    £10 per month:

180 Mbps down, 80 Mbps up, unlimited traffic

London, UK

Poor Americans with their awful internets.

- - - Updated - - -

Also i don't know what can you solve by calling them, since you can't do nothing else and they will just laugh or i don't know, but you can try i guess.
    In Europe it's cheap because our governments pay for almost all the costs involved in laying high speed cables (which makes up the majority of the cost) and we have a very high population density.

In America their government doesn't invest as much in infrastructure & they have much lower population density. This means that the ISPs have a much much larger cost of business, which gets passed onto consumers.

Deleted
    €45, 16 down, 3 up, guaranteed reaction (2 hours) and fix times (8 hours).

Would be €20 without the guarantees.