Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Keeping fit as a gamer?

So I've just broken up for my 6 week vacation, I'm looking forward to playing a lot of games as a break from work etc. I'm no good runner however I go to martial arts once a week. Could any body give me some small things to do throughout my 6 weeks to keep fit and maybe even lose some weight? Cheers!

Not playing video games 24/7 for six weeks would be a start.

Deleted
    You can simply join a gym, depends what your goals are but you barely need to spend an hour in the gym 3 times a week, if you think of it in pure numbers.. 172 hours a week and 3 of them are spent in the gym, it's nothing at all really

10+ Year Old Account
    1.Portion control
    2.Little to no processed foods
    3.NO sugary drinks(only water)
    4.Stay semi active dont just sit at your desk.
    5.Keep a log of what you eat
    6.Drink 2-3 glasses of water with each meal to fill you up quicker.
    7.Keep carbohydrates to a minimum unless you are about to do something that requires a lot of energy.
    8.Switch to whole grains. White bread is terrible for you.

Take these tips from someone who is prepping for a bodybuilding/physique show. If you need anymore help or a little nudge here and there follow me www.instagram.com/tbatcho07

- - - Updated - - -

But when it comes to the gym(lifting is far better for weight/fat loss than cardio). Cardio is only useful when trying to shed extra weight quickly. Keep cardio to a minimum in order to strengthen your cardiovascular system while preserving muscle tissue.
    Follow my journey to the bodybuilding stage! www.instagram.com/tbatcho07
    Musclemeds - Warrior - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...clemeds/simple

^ What he said but number 3 you don't have to be so strict with, have zero calorie sodas like coke zero and pepsi max if you want that sugar feel but not actually consuming sugar at all, drinking 2-3 glasses of water per meal is kinda dumb as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskar000 View Post
    ^ What he said but number 3 you don't have to be so strict with, have zero calorie sodas like coke zero and pepsi max if you want that sugar feel but not actually consuming sugar at all, drinking 2-3 glasses of water per meal is kinda dumb as well.
    Im not arguing about your thoughts on the subject, but please explain to me how drinking more water is dumb?

Weightloss is based on calories in vs calories out. I worry more about macros(Carbs/Fats/Protein) and Micros because thats what we do. One of the first and most important things we learn to do is drink 1-3(I do 2-3) glasses of water(8-24oz) with each meal to help fill your stomach so you dont keep eating. The issue with most people is they have 0 self control when it comes to portion control because most people eat quickly and do not give their brain/stomach the proper amount of time to register having ate enough.

And whether you find this silly or not, there is hunger and also similar feelings associated with your body not having enough liquid. The trick is to learn which is which with your body.

Again, not arguing, just telling you what I know and have been following to lose 105lb and 20% bodyfat..

7+ Year Old Account
    Sugary drinks are bad, but its okay to consume 1 a day which is what I do. Its all just self control and awareness of what your eating. And people keep in mind he just looking to drop a few pounds not get into bodybuilding.

10+ Year Old Account
    While he doesn't have to go full in to it like I am, I can assure you that the steps I follow aren't hard to follow, and you will see good results. And not only physical changes, but positive mental changes as well.

Deleted
    Walking .... 30 mins of walking a day that gets you slightly out of breath will do wonders

Do you have 30 minutes extra 3 days a week? I did this program awhile back after healing from an injury that pretty much turned me into a couch potato.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

It's called the "couch to 5k" program. It ramps you up slowly to the point where you can actually run 5k on a regular basis. Sounds like a lot to someone who doesn't run, but it's really not.

However, I do want to stress that these things aren't easy, even if this is considered an "easy" program. It takes a lot longer than the 9 weeks this recommends to get to the point where a 5k is effortless. But once you get there, and continue doing the 5k's 3 times a week, after a few months it'll just be habbit, you'll lose weight (as long as you don't eat bad) and you'll feel great.

Honestly, its sad how so many of my peers are overweight and unhealthy. I have been there myself (used to smoke a lot and do nothing but gain weight), and now that I'm back being healthy, it's just night and day difference.

7+ Year Old Account
    Gamers in general have a reputation for being overweight/unhealthy which does have some basis in truth. For the most part they have very sedentary lifestyles coupled with eating unhealthy foods, its the perfect scenario for gaining weight.

Kudos to you though for wanting to lose some weight. I have been their before and know that it can be an uphill battle at first, but found it very rewarding.

Quote Originally Posted by TheThirteenthWorstGamer View Post
    So I've just broken up for my 6 week vacation, I'm looking forward to playing a lot of games as a break from work etc. I'm no good runner however I go to martial arts once a week. Could any body give me some small things to do throughout my 6 weeks to keep fit and maybe even lose some weight? Cheers!
    6 week vacation. you gd Europeans! :P

Quote Originally Posted by TBatcho07 View Post
    Wut? Credible sources pls that aren't from the journal of broscience.

I have no idea what this has to do with cals in vs out and weight loss.

If you want to drink a Coke, then be accountable for the the carbs that come with it.

1.Portion control
    4.Stay semi active dont just sit at your desk.
    5.Keep a log of what you eat
    6.Drink 2-3 glasses of water with each meal to fill you up quicker.
    7.Keep carbohydrates to a minimum unless you are about to do something that requires a lot of energy.

Take these tips from someone who is prepping for a bodybuilding/physique show. If you need anymore help or a little nudge here and there follow me www.instagram.com/tbatcho07

- - - Updated - - -

But when it comes to the gym(lifting is far better for weight/fat loss than cardio). Cardio is only useful when trying to shed extra weight quickly. Keep cardio to a minimum in order to strengthen your cardiovascular system while preserving muscle tissue.
    1. white bread is not "terrible" for you.
    2. You don't have to keep carbs at a minimum, unless for certain health reasons.
    3. sugar is not "bad" in moderation in a rationally composed diet.
    4. prepping for a bb show doesn't make you an expert. (Not being disrespectful here just stating fact, and GL btw hope you do well!)

10+ Year Old Account
    Well go ahead and drink diet coke with all of the crap they add in. I'm only trying to help this guy. I knew someone would eventually spout the whole "broscience" thing and try to label me as a "bro". I follow what I know has worked for me and I even stated in my original post that its coming from "someone training for a show". You are FAR better off cutting out ALL forms of soda. I never said to go low carb for an entire year. Low carb diets are great in short term runs. Personally I do not need many carbs to function, I work much better off a high fat/low carb diet. But I will gladly bow out of this thread since my advice clearly isn't "valid".

Whichever advice you decide to listen to, I hope you get to where you want to be. Best of luck.

Well go ahead and drink diet coke with all of the crap they add in. I'm only trying to help this guy. I knew someone would eventually spout the whole "broscience" thing and try to label me as a "bro". I follow what I know has worked for me and I even stated in my original post that its coming from "someone training for a show". You are FAR better off cutting out ALL forms of soda. I never said to go low carb for an entire year. Low carb diets are great in short term runs. Personally I do not need many carbs to function, I work much better off a high fat/low carb diet. But I will gladly bow out of this thread since my advice clearly isn't "valid".

Whichever advice you decide to listen to, I hope you get to where you want to be. Best of luck.
    No one is saying your opinion is invalid or unwanted. Making claims (carbs, sugar, bread, etc. are bad) based on your anecdotal experience with SO MANY uncontrolled variables that you couldn't discern if that was the case, then prescribing that to everyone without evidence to back it up isn't helpful. This is the definition of "broscience."

If you come out and says these things might work for you just based on my experience, then it's a different story.

Yes carbs are not a necessity.

The reason short term drops in carbs causes you to lose weight is because you decrease glycogen storage and water weight, which in return makes you look flat. Soon as you go back up it returns.
    Last edited by Zelion; 2015-07-27 at 06:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Again, best of luck to the OP. I know what it's like to not feel comfortable with the way you look. Over the past 15 months I have lost 105lbs and close to 20% bodyfat. At the end of the day, just eat properly and trust the process. And please don't make the insanely common mistake of giving up after not seeing results within the first couple of days or ever weeks. You didn't put the weight on overnight, it won't burn off overnight. I apologize for sounding like a "Bro", as I am truthfully only trying to help someone in need.

Again, best of luck to the OP. I know what it's like to not feel comfortable with the way you look. Over the past 15 months I have lost 105lbs and close to 20% bodyfat. At the end of the day, just eat properly and trust the process. And please don't make the insanely common mistake of giving up after not seeing results within the first couple of days or ever weeks. You didn't put the weight on overnight, it won't burn off overnight. I apologize for sounding like a "Bro", as I am truthfully only trying to help someone in need.
    Congrats my man on your journey.

This is also sound advice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelion View Post
    Congrats my man on your journey.

This is also sound advice.

Thanks, Zel.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheThirteenthWorstGamer View Post
    Quick and easy respond:
    Adapt your meals for your activities. That includes:
    Macros (Fats, carbs & protein)
    Portion size
    Eating schedule

I would also say, regardless of activity or reason:
    Stay away from sugar.
    Tip: If you feel the craving of candy or something to eat when you have schedule not to eat, just take a gum or brush your teeth, that makes everything taste awful.

Good luck!

EDIT: I completely agree with TBatcho07.