Thread: Gaming Quirks

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Gaming Quirks

Playing Resident Evil 4 over the past few days has made me realize that I have a few video game-related quirks:

• I have a compulsion to have a weapon's magazine fully available; if there's an opportunity to reload, I will be reloading. Often times I do this at bad moments, leading to me taking unnecessary damage. Basically, if I'm not immediately in the line of fire, I'm reloading.
    • Inventory management. I can't count the number of times I've gotten an item in a game such as Resident Evil 4, only to drop whatever I'm doing, open up the inventory screen, and rearrange everything to their proper location.
    • I will hold onto "rare" items and never use them. Those elixirs in Final Fantasy VII? They will totally be useful later on. Even though I'm at the end-game. And my party is in critical condition. I'll totally find a better time to use them later.

Do you have any video game-related quirks?

Overhoarding, although it's only really obvious in games like WoW/Diablo/Xenoblade Chronicles. Often I'll end up having to spend like, 20-30 minutes just making space, and deleting/selling items to be like "Why was I even holding onto this".

Constantly rebinding keymapping. Every game I open up the keybinds and change them no exception.

Being very stingy about spending any currency in the beginning of a game. There's always going to be that thing that costs a lot but you'd have to grind to get it unless you saved up for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I try and put all greens I get on the Auction House.

10+ Year Old Account
    Someone has a signature on this site that is very true...basically not using your limited buffs/healing/consumable items for fear you might need them later, even while sitting at 10% health. From the old FF days, collect all the Elixirs and never use them throughout the entire game. Got an Antidote? Well the poison will wear off in 2 more steps, so I'll take the damage and save the Antidote for when I REALLY need it. =D

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure I do. Will have to think about it. To start I share all three of the ones you listed.

If armor cosmetically shows up on the character, I'll try to not make it clash even if I have to keep wearing statistical downgrades.

Looking at you, Xenoblade Chronicles.

10+ Year Old Account
    I get equally as OCD about my ammo...even in the competitive scene. Can't even begin to count the amount of times I've died in CS:GO reloading a clip with 18 remaining bullets.

I'll add another mention about packratting stuff. I'm really bad about it in WoW. I still have all kinds of items that are now useless but no longer obtainable (Spectral Essence, Black Dragonflight Molt, Stratholme Ghostbuster gun, item that turns Ras Frostwhisper into a human, etc). My warrior has like two main inventory bags full, most of the bank full, and only like 5 slots left open in void storage.

I also do the same thing on my alts. My warlock's bank still has all the items you use in Dire Maul for the epic mount quest.

I do the reloading thing too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    • I will hold onto "rare" items and never use them. Those elixirs in Final Fantasy VII? They will totally be useful later on. Even though I'm at the end-game. And my party is in critical condition. I'll totally find a better time to use them later.
    Pretty sure this is every gamers weakness .

Just finished FFX HD today and by the end of the game I had... Pretty much a maxed out inventory . 99x all the healing things, ether... Pretty much everything you can get a 99 stack of I had. including all of the ingredients for Rikku's mix.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    Your first and third quirks are extremely common. The first one a lot of people, who want to start playing FPSs competitvely, have to train themselves out of.

I also like to kill enemies as stylishly as possible. An example is when I fought Lingering Will in KH2FM I stopped myself from killing him just so I could use Trinity Limit on him to finish the fight.

10+ Year Old Account
    I always reload. So much so that in Call of Duty games, I had to make all my setups with quicker reloads. It kept getting me killed.

In games like Metroidvanias, or even Pokemon Snap, I will backtrack to the earlier levels to get new things once I learn a new skill IMMEDIATELY. Pokemon Snap as an example: Get the apple after Tunnel. Screw going back through Tunnel and using the apple to blow up the Electrode and advance to the next level. Go back to the beach because there are more things to find, like Surfing Pikachu and pissing off Kangaskhan.

Hoarding & quick-saving every 10 seconds are my biggest quirks.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Jumping in RPGs, if I can jump, I will do so. This can get me into trouble.

Like in WoW, on my hunter, I can jump while still killing things, but then I jump too much and either jump right into the aggro range of a pack of mobs or don't have enough time to run out of the fire while landing from a jump and have to use a cooldown to keep myself from dying.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, we could link the tvtropes page for Player Tics...

But I'll just say, I've died a lot in CS:Go due to reloading while an enemy turns the courner, because I was missing a bullet in my magazine
    Just preface all my posts with "Well, I didn't read the thread, but..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Kenobi
    You don't need to see any identification.
    This isn't the user you're looking for.
    Move along.
    Fixed a bug allowing Reaper to Shadow Step to unintended locations
    Minor text fixes

Quote Originally Posted by Alopex View Post
    I mean, we could link the tvtropes page for Player Tics...

But I'll just say, I've died a lot in CS:Go due to reloading while an enemy turns the courner, because I was missing a bullet in my magazine
    And then you finally get used to not reloading until counter is at zero and you start playing Insurgency with no ammo counters at all and you forget all about reloading until you face a hoard of enemies and greet them with 'click click, huh? oh crap'

10+ Year Old Account
    I am the "item keeper" on every RPG, i hate using those kind of one use items that are good just because, i hoard those items and let them rot on my inventory just because "i might need it someday"
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

10+ Year Old Account
    Adding a bit onto an earlier point, I also prioritize cosmetic appearance over effectiveness in games. I'm willing to have a harder time in a game if it means that I will look badass. Of course that is only in single player games. I always min max in games like WoW.

Also, single player or multiplayer if a game has a talent system, I will often look up an optimal build for it (so long as it doesn't effect muh fashion).

In games with multiple races and/or classes, I always need one of each race and class if possible. Even if I end up never playing the character, I just need to have created it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Also, single player or multiplayer if a game has a talent system, I will often look up an optimal build for it .
    Oh yeah, I do this too . I need to have my talent/skill tree laid about before I even load the game, I swear I spent more time on the talent calcs before I played Dragon Age Inquisition than I did playing the damn game.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30