Thread: Earbuds

Earbuds

Could someone recommend me a pair of decent earbuds?

They don't have to be top of the line ultra amazing sounds noise reducing earbuds.

I'm just sick of getting earbuds where the wire comes loose and they're garbage after a few weeks of use.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love my Bluetooth Jaybird X3s, maybe little too heavy on bass but I use them at least 4 hours a day, sometimes pushing double or triple that time. Charge fairly quick, I get solid 90% in less than 20 minutes of charging (rough estimate) and usually last for 8-10 hours.

You can get some decent deals on them, here in UK as low as £70 and £120 depending which colours you want. I have forest/olive green which were around £75.
    -K

Phillips SHE35** series tend to be cheap and sturdy. My 3570s have been through a couple of 40°C washes. Easy to replace if you loose 'em too. Normally available for around $5 at my local electronic store.

Been using some skullcandy ones, decent enough for the price, haven't broken em yet.

I think Apple AirPods are well worth the price, especially if you have an iPhone. They just fit perfectly and never fall out (at least for me), and their charging solution is easily the best that I've seen - the charging case is brilliantly designed.

7+ Year Old Account
    Bought a pair of these last summer:SENSO Bluetooth Headphones, Best Wireless Sports Earphones w/Mic IPX7 Waterproof HD Stereo Sweatproof Earbuds for Gym Running Workout 8 Hour Battery Noise Cancelling Headsets ~$30
    I use them when hiking, jogging, and biking. Solid sound. Blocks out background noise pretty well. Solid purchase for something that I picked up on a whim.

Anker soundbuds slim, was 20$ on amazon. 7 hours use per charge, decent sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberria View Post
    I think Apple AirPods are well worth the price, especially if you have an iPhone. They just fit perfectly and never fall out (at least for me), and their charging solution is easily the best that I've seen - the charging case is brilliantly designed.
    Problem is Bluetooth is easily blocked by body mass. I cant even put my phone in my pocket and listen to music. Doesn't matter what phone or what headset.

If you look carefully at every manufacturers fine print about Bluetooth, for music they recommend that the device be no further than 2ft from the headset. Even the AirPods.

When they are pressed, they basically just say "get an armband".

Its my only major complaint with my LG Tone Ultras. For talking they work fine (the data sent is different somehow), but i cant even take a walk and listen to music. And its been like that on literally every phone and BT headset ive owned.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Problem is Bluetooth is easily blocked by body mass. I cant even put my phone in my pocket and listen to music. Doesn't matter what phone or what headset.

If you look carefully at every manufacturers fine print about Bluetooth, for music they recommend that the device be no further than 2ft from the headset. Even the AirPods.

Its my only major complaint with my LG Tone Ultras. For talking they work fine (the data sent is different somehow), but i cant even take a walk and listen to music. And its been like that on literally every phone and BT headset ive owned.
    Unless you're roughly the size of a dumpster it is unlikely related to mass. As to range, with a cheap pair of buds I grabbed on amazon I can easily leave my phone by my pc and walk to the other side of the house without losing anything, I can even go downstairs with some minimal signal drops.

I have my phone in my pocket listening to spotify as we speak, in fact-and I'm not a small guy. Are you wedging the receiver between your neck and your shoulder or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    Unless you're roughly the size of a dumpster it is unlikely related to mass.
    Incorrect. Its body water content that does it. You can be 120lbs, and itll still do it. Read here:

http://www.drnicksrunningblog.com/bl...k-for-running/

You can repeat those results reliably to this day.

As to range, with a cheap pair of buds I grabbed on amazon I can easily leave my phone by my pc and walk to the other side of the house without losing anything, I can even go downstairs with some minimal signal drops.
    I can do all of those things too. Because the phone isn't on your body and trying to transmit through your torso. And, the Bluetooth signal can bounce off of walls and other objects in the room to more easily reach the headset. It cant do that outside.

I have my phone in my pocket listening to spotify as we speak, in fact-and I'm not a small guy. Are you wedging the receiver between your neck and your shoulder or something?
    Read the article. Gonna call BS on that. I can replicate it on any phone with any pair of Bluetooth earbuds you care to name. When walking, its even worse, because the signal will cut out every time my hand passes the pocket (i cant run because of a back injury, so power walking is as far as i get). Cant mow the lawn either. My arms are cocked up to hold the mower, which just brutalizes the signal.

Done it with EarPods on iPhones, done it with LG Tones of various makes, Jabra sets, dozens of different Android phones from top-end Galaxies to my sons' 100$ ZenFone 3 Max.

Its a common and notorious problem and its a weakness of Bluetooth that simply cant be fixed. To fix it would require much stronger broadcast strengths which would remove the ONLY thing Bluetooth has going for it - power efficiency. Might as well just switch to RF at that point, like most PC wireless sets, and it would annihilate battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by Laqweeta View Post
    Could someone recommend me a pair of decent earbuds?

They don't have to be top of the line ultra amazing sounds noise reducing earbuds.

I'm just sick of getting earbuds where the wire comes loose and they're garbage after a few weeks of use.
    Try Skullcandy Hesh 2. It's really awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    Been using some skullcandy ones, decent enough for the price, haven't broken em yet.
    I'm using Skullcandy for last 2 years. It provides me best service.

Bullshit.

About Airpods: Not only my body never blocked signal and sound is always good (i'm no near Music Expert and sound quality snob), but also I've tested AirPods on range: I've putted a phone on work desk and moved around 20-30 meter into defferent room (phone was blocked by average thin walls of an office building) and lost signal at around 30 meters.
    Last edited by OmniSkribe; 2018-06-29 at 03:21 AM.
    When a player quits EVE and goes to WoW, the average IQ in both games increases.

I had problems with cheaper Bluetooth wireless headphones losing connection (on both Android and iOS devices), but Airpods are perfectly fine. They have a specialized chip in them (A1 or whatever it's called) that makes the bluetooth connection more powerful.

I have a SoundMAGIC E10C. It has pretty good sound and clarity. Not pricey also.

If you find that your earphones have their wire breaking around the plug easily, I 100000% recommend getting some self-bonding silicone rubber tape.

I coat my earbud connector with that and roughly 2-3cm(~1inch) of the wire with the tape and it protects the wire from nearly all of the damage. The tape can crack with time, but applying a new layer isn't that difficult.

And yes, it might look a bit uglier, but for someone like me who uses earbuds 6-8hours per day as hearing protection inside a Datacenter(where the ambient noise from cooling systems can be damaging during prolonged exposure) while listening to music, it is 100% worth it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Earbuds are a bane of my existence. I bought Sennheiser Momentum wired and I was thinking - finally the indestructible pair... And while they lasted more than usual the usual happened anyway and one of the cans stopped working about a year in.

I'm now going for Bluetooth neckband ones also Sennheiser Momentum to see how these will work out. Sound quality is great, but only using them like 3 months so no claims about resilience here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberria View Post
    Or just good old EarPods to be honest. For the price, the sound is surprisingly good.

I don't use many earbuds anymore after stopped listening to music while running, but audiobudget.com/leaderboard/iem might be somewhat usefull I've heard. Also there's some IEM shootout videos that ZReviews has done, which may give you some direction on good buys.

But if you expand your search to portables and can bear the looks of Koss KSC75, they are some of the best bang for the buck portables I've ever come across.