When would be the best time to start working out?

My husband and I want to get in better shape, but we are having a hard time deciding when to exercise. We both work from 3:30pm to about 12:20am Monday to Friday. would it be better to work out before work, or after we leave? We do have access to a few 24 hour gyms, so i am leaning more towards after work.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Depends if you think you'll be able to work after working out. I do both times of the day and am fine. When I work out before work, I find I get an extra boost in energy halfway through the morning. Sometimes if I go after work it's tough to be motivated and stop in on the way home. I'd suggest hitting the gym before you do get home, because I've had days where I get home and I'm just like ehh fuck it and don't end up going. It's a lot easier to just go straight from work. I don't know what your sleep schedule or anything like that is like, but it seems like you do have plenty of time before work. To each their own, try both out and do what you enjoy?

We usually go to bed around 3:30 to 4:00am, and try to be up by 11:30am. I do most of my cooking and cleaning before work, and usually just play video games after work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whenever you have spare time in my opinion. I generally don't have time until after work, and that can sometimes be as late as 9 or 10pm. Whatever you do, don't rationalize skipping it!

Deleted
    Friends of mine in night or early shifts all tend to go BEFORE work. Their experience is that when you go to work first, you either are too tired or find ways to tell yourself to skip it. By getting your workout done first thing in the day, you're sure to reel in those gains

i would suggest either when you wake up or right after work on your way home
    LFGdating
    Currently playing: WoW, D3, SC2, and wait for it ... Red Alert 3. (And possibly some Goldeneye here or there.)

Deleted
    If i were you, I'd be going to bed as soon as i got home to get as much good sleep out of the night as possible. Sleeping through the night is really healthy for you. It's change in routine but would also help you get fitter.

Your organs operate differently at night. They don't work as hard and don't process foods that well, so you naturally get less fit, more fat.

Try to maintain a normal sleeping pattern, and workout between 9am-2pm?

10+ Year Old Account
    Whenever that's convenient for you. The "optimal" time won't make any difference if you aren't that level.

Deleted
    Right from work to the gym works best for me..

However if losing weight is the main prio, do cardio in the morning before breakfast.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bantokar View Post
    However if losing weight is the main prio, do cardio in the morning before breakfast.
    Was about to post to say this^ Good way of burning body fat instead of carbs induced from breakfast.

Also I would personally suggest doing it prior to work. Gives you a boost for work, and I've found that working out at night (post work for you) may cause you to feel stimulated and not feel tired when you should be going to sleep.

Best of luck!
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Deleted
    Then again if losing weight is the goal heavy weighlifting is better for losing fat over cardio as well. Not sure that it's heavy lifting you want to get into though

I'd workout after work, it all comes down to YOUR personal preference. Working out after work for me makes it feel like my muscles are more awake and my whole workout is more intense, compared to going there right after rolling out of bed, which just leaves me with a slow body + mind.

I would say find what works out best for you. I tried both before work and right before I go to bed. I am not a morning person at all so I found that working out late at night is the best for me to keep at it. I get home from work about 5:30pm and make dinner do things around the house. I start my workout around 9:30-10pm. A lot of people will say that working out late at night will keep you awake but I have found it completely different. Workout, protein shake, shower and then maybe some video games for a little bit if I can still keep my eyes open at that point.