Deleted

Questions about upgrading desktop

Hi Guys.
    I am upgrading my Desktop for the first time.
    I bought an "entry" level pre-built gaming desktop back in 2009/2010. I know I should just invest in a new desktop at some point, however due to budget issues I decided to upgrade the current and invest in a new one in a year or so.

Oh well, here's my current setup:
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz
    Mainboard: Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. ga-P55m-ud2
    Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1Gb
    Memory: 4 GB
    PSU: SL-700 500W
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7, 64-bit
    I have already ordered a new Graphics card and a SSD:
    Videocard: EVGA GTX 750 TI SC 2Gb - mainly due to the low power consumption and cheap price.
    SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

So my question is, is this something I should return or will this be okay/make do for the next years’ time?
    Thanks in advance.

Herald of the Titans Pterodactylus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulvemakt View Post
    So my question is, is this something I should return or will this be okay/make do for the next years’ time?
    Thanks in advance.
    Well, it will certainly be a nice upgrade for your current set-up, but it's nothing like getting a new rig. That 750 ti is a decent little card. At the end of my MSI RMA saga, I bought a (ASUS) 750ti as a space holder until I could buy my current rig and I was pretty impressed with it.

If that's all your budget allows, I think it is a nice step towards doing a nice upgrade in a year. Try to save a hundred or so each month, and get a nice rig this time next year. If you know you are going for a new rig, you can map out parts and keep an eye out for sweet deals and try and get parts on the cheap.
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

The i5 750 handles tasks surprisingly well for its age, and usually overclocks well. That PC will be fine if you're a bit budget constrained, especially with the 750 Ti and SSD which will carry over to a new core if you put one together in the near future.

If you have open RAM slots I'd suggest an upgrade to 8GB RAM. DDR3 is end-of-life, but 4GB RAM is really cheap and will allow the OS to precache a lot more. Even if you don't see your existing 4GB cap out, the upgrade is well worth it... especially since it means fewer pagefile hits on the SSD.
    Super casual.