10+ Year Old Account

[GYM] Lf basic advice

Hello resident gym experts!

I am what you call a gym newbie and looking for some tips on what to do.

Like i posted in another thread, my goal is toning/definition and a bit of mass/strength gains.

Having dropped from 95kg - which was quite overweight for my build - to a mark ranging from 79 to 81 kg a few years ago, i now want to get rid of the, well, regular look i have, you know, that one where one looks skinny and fit with clothes on but turns out theres fat still. Im 178cm btw.

Working from 8 to 4.30pm, i started hitting a local.and small gym on late afternoons. I was assigned one them general workout programs, where one hits a bit of everything. As far as bar related exercises, i do the...incline push or is it lift, along with sitting dead lift. Despite the apparent strong looking build, i dont have a lot of strength on the arms, so i push on incline with like 2 plates of 10kgs.

The sets and reps are the same for all the machines, 3 sets of 15 reps, with weights varying from 30 to 40 kgs.

With that said, i was looking to know if theres anything i can.do.specifically.

Deleted
    What equipment do you have available at the gym? I would not recommend a programme that does not incorporate Sumo or Conventional Deadlifts, Squats, and Military or Overhead Press, if you're looking to build some functional strength.

Mass gains will be limited if you're simultaneously trying to lose fat, but if you're new you can do both for a while if your diet is on point. For cardio I would recommend 20 mins of HIIT 3 days a week, and LISS for 20-30 mins the other 1 or 2 days you train. Rest a couple of days a week to allow for recovery and hormonal rebalance.

10+ Year Old Account
    The gym routine assigned consists of 10 machines, more or less divided between legs and arms/torsof (i dont know the exact terms): sitting shoulder press, butterfly machine, biceps curl on that preacher bench, seated row machine,incline press and pull ups for upper body; seated leg press, those 2 machines where in one you open your legs and in the other you close and standing leg curls for lower body.

Pre and post workout is usually 10 mins on the treadmill. I also do between 50 to 75 crunches on the end.

You need cardio to get rid of fat. Fat doesn't magically go away when you gain muscle. Crossfit is something that would be up your alley

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, im not exactly trying to lose fat. I reckon im at the point where i have fat, but it'll turn into muscle with the proper exercise.

Deleted
    First of all, fat will never turn into muscle. You need to build muscle and fat needs to be removed through exercise + diet.

What is your plan? 5 days in the gym a week? 3 or?
    Will you be dieting meanwhile?
    Are you looking to take supplements?

30% of the result is gained in the gym, 70% is from what you eat, just keep that in mind.

Find a pull-up bar, do them constantly. Don't forget squats, bench, core (planks, yoga) and running (sprints) or swimming.
    LFGdating
    Currently playing: WoW, D3, SC2, and wait for it ... Red Alert 3. (And possibly some Goldeneye here or there.)

Try not to use the weights machines, you're better off using free weights. If you train on your own then I'd recommend using dumbbells over a barbell (you're more likely to be able to push them to the side in case of accident. Dumbbells are also good in activating more stabiliser muscles).

Rather than sticking to a specific format of e.g. 3 sets of 15 reps, go by time - e.g. 5mins of a specific exercise (don't worry about sets; your goal is total reps within the time limit). Then each week you can either try more reps in the same time, or if you're doing 50+ reps then increase the weight. It's a good way to train because there's constant progression; even if you're only doing 1 rep extra, you can still see you're improving.

Deleted
    As a newbie lifter you need to make a solid foundation, this is paramount. Google Starting Strength, its one of the most recognisable starting out programs where you can make solid gains in lean muscle mass and strength gains. This is a full body 3 day a week program will also get you accustomed to the mains lifts.

The main lifts you will do are Deadlifts, Squats, Bench Press, Overhead Press and barbell row. These are your bread and butter of any program worth its salt. Learn to love them. Start out lighter initially so that you get used to doing the lifts with proper Technique. Bodybuild.com has decent exercise video guides.

However all the lifting in the world wont help you if you dont get you diet in check, 80% of gains happen in the kitchen not the gym. Evn if you wish to loose weight then heavy weightlifting is superior to cardio for fat loss. Fact is the more muscle you have the more calories you burn, its that simple. Check out this calorie calculator to see how much you need to eat mper day to make gains/loose fat. http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/. Idealy ull want to eat about 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight. about 0.3-0.5 grams of good fats per pound of bodyweight and any left over calories after that use on quality Carbs.

if you want more info feel free to Pm me.

Check better sites for GYM, not an online game forum. Seriously, 90% here probably don't know what they're talking about. You should see a special trainer, dietetician. No one can really help you through Internet with so low information about yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Haven't come here for a while, but thanks for the advice.

As for what's been said, as far was weight goes, like i said before, im at my ideal weight, but i just happen to still have that flabby look on my torso.

Diet wise, i still do my eating the regular way, since i've read/heard that many body builders or whatever do the 4 or 5 meals a day schedule. Concerning my food, since i cook it myself, it's always the same thing, a cereal based breakfast (oatmeal mixed with slices of banana / red fruits and shaved coconut), chicken/turkey breast with greenies and brown rice. Dinner tends to either be small portions of lunch or cereal again.

On my latest visits to the gym, i've tried experimenting with a few more weights, like the regular dumbell exercise or have a go at the squat bar, but i still have sort of weak arms, so i haven't ventured much in weight department.
    I tend to do like 10mins on the treadmill on an high speed for pre and post workout exercise. On off days, i may or may not ride my bike for a bit over an hour.

As for going for PT or nutritionist, that's a no go, both due to where i live and for financial restrictions.