Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    Because once you level a character to 80, outfit it in decent gear, and complete the map, there's basically nothing else left to do except mindlessly zerg PvE events or mindlessly zerg in WvWvW. People argue that everything in GW2 is endgame which means there's a ton of stuff to do at 80. I beg to differ on that. After being at 80 for a bit, you realize that there really isn't shit to do that's fun anymore or that you haven't done already. It becomes a pointless grind for cosmetics and nothing else. That's the reason why I haven't really done anything with the game since before the LS season one ever ended. I've poked my head back in from time to time just to see if they made the game any better or actually gave us something worthwhile to do.....but nope. Still the same old boring, repetitive shit as before.
    So exactly like wow :P There is living story and other things. In wow I got raids and that's about it. Instead of chasing skins you chase stats (i prefer skins). PvP in wow became dull. Maybe legion will change it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    And it's basically got the best payment model for an MMO. All MMOs should follow in its example.
    This is kinda specious. Of course it is your opinion and I am not about to say you are incorrect for expressing it.

However, one could argue that the optimal payment model is one whereby the customer can approach the product with their own price point relative to the value they perceive in the product. At least from a consumer-centric position.

Though evidence and market data suggests the above is advantageous for developers and publishers too. And my work with a F2P publisher confirmed the greater profit margin was found in ala carte purchases.

The best payment model for a consumer is that which the customer sets themselves.

The best payment model for a developer is that which allows continual and compulsive payments by consumers.

Quote Originally Posted by Killyox View Post
    So exactly like wow :P There is living story and other things. In wow I got raids and that's about it. Instead of chasing skins you chase stats (i prefer skins). PvP in wow became dull. Maybe legion will change it.
    As someone that didn't raid much at all in WoW, it's really amusing to see these discussions. They always say "there's no endgame" when they really mean "there's no raids". I'd take the most repetitive Living Story update over the joys of Molten Front for 6 months.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    As someone that didn't raid much at all in WoW, it's really amusing to see these discussions. They always say "there's no endgame" when they really mean "there's no raids". I'd take the most repetitive Living Story update over the joys of Molten Front for 6 months.
    When people say endgame they mean very difficult content usually.
    Raids are a big part of why wow is so big and has been for so many years.
    But wow has other endgame content then raids.

It has Mythic dungeons, Brawlers, Pet battle/collecting, challenge modes, Arenas, Rated BG's,

Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post

It has Mythic dungeons, Brawlers, Pet battle/collecting, challenge modes, Arenas, Rated BG's,

Sooooo its basically GW2 endgame with the additions of raids and inferior pvp

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by woodydave44 View Post
    inferior pvp
    https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net...0675/gw008.png

I too, enjoy firework displays. Preferably outside, not on a screen that's going on 5 fps due to the ginormous clusterfuck of AoE visuals.

And that screenshot (not mine) is a *very* mild example.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2015-08-20 at 04:42 PM. Reason: use thumbnails or resize images.

Deleted

Dungeons are dungeons. It's the same content whether it's CM or Mythic or HC. They look the same, feel the same, got the same stuff. Mythic is tiny bit harder than HC. CMs are more fun but most people do gold and are done with it. Pet battles I wouldn;t call it an endgame at all. Arenas and BG are just a PvP but ok.

I can find a lot more in GW2 myself. Nowadays I only log for raids in wow and that's it. Well not even that now as my SSD died yday and it had wow and all addons + profiles and cba to set it up all again before I get new ssd from plextor due to warranty.

I think we should revisit this thread and talk about endgame once Heart of Thorns is release and Living Story Season 3 begins.

Still GW2 has the type of content WoW never had like jumping puzzles, wvwvw, mini games like Southsun Survival (hunger games), Keg Brawl, Sanctum Race, Meta Events, lots of hidden areas and most of all Super Adventure Box. This thing was amazing and I can't wait for continuation.

Wow over the years became more and more about raids and less about everything else.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vanya View Post
    https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/90675/gw008.png

I too, enjoy firework displays. Preferably outside, not on a screen that's going on 5 fps due to the ginormous clusterfuck of AoE visuals.

And that screenshot (not mine) is a *very* mild example.
    That's WvWvW. There are other forms of PvP. Constructed for example. Also WoW looked the same in old Tarren Mill vs Southshore or old 40v40 middle AV.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2015-08-20 at 04:42 PM.

You'll see why when you're max level.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix19 View Post
    Hi there,

Just bought GW2, after finally getting sick of WoW. I just have one question really...why isnt the game more popular. A one off payment for a good game, epic graphics and imo one of the nicest gameplay styles i have ever encountered. Literally played 30 mins and im hooked.
    TBH, they don't have the marketing hype that Blizz generates (many times for free). It is a well designed game that uses a different approach. One of the bigger problems is that people have entrenched in their minds that if it isn't exactly like WoW, but better, than it is complete garbage (kind of like Apple or Android fanboys).

Another thing to consider is that McDonalds is far more popular than, say, Five Guys. It doesn't mean that McDonald's is better, just that more idiots go there.

Quote Originally Posted by Adoxe View Post
    You'll see why when you're max level.
    Because no one plays max level and has tons of fun? Honestly it's pretty simple. Currently in GW2 you do the same sort of things you did while leveling as you do at max level. If you enjoy how the game plays while leveling (assuming you didn't just craft yourself to 80 or something random like that) you'll likely enjoy what there is to do at max level because the game doesn't change. If you want to take part in sPvP you actually don't even need to level at all because you'll be boosted to level 80 and have all your skills unlocked.

Deleted
    Seen a guy with 64x lvl 80 chars XDD

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by woodydave44 View Post
    Sooooo its basically GW2 endgame with the additions of raids and inferior pvp
    I havent seen any challenging meaningful 5 man content in guildwars 2.

So to answer your question. No

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Killyox View Post
    Dungeons are dungeons. It's the same content whether it's CM or Mythic or HC. They look the same, feel the same, got the same stuff. Mythic is tiny bit harder than HC. CMs are more fun but most people do gold and are done with it. Pet battles I wouldn;t call it an endgame at all. Arenas and BG are just a PvP but ok.
    I disagree that dungeons are dungeons. There is a very large gap between Heroic and Mythic. Challenge mode is dungeons with a different approach. Arena's and Rated(rated is important here because its the difference between clusterfuck, and organized) BG's are just PvP. yeah, but its still organized endgame content. I dont know fully how PvP works in Guildwars but most of the time it just seems like a big clsuterfuck

Maybe GW2 is the casuals heaven and wow is more for people looking for a challenge.

Thats completely fair and NOT a way to demean GW2 players

Deleted
    I bought it right away but never made it past lvl 20 and then some.
    Because you don't really get quests I always felt like I was walking from one grinding spot to the next.

Albeit, like people already said it IS pretty popular, WoW is a phenomenon nothing you should measure other MMOs on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I played the first one it was great for a week but has no real long term attraction. I didn't buy gw2 because I figured they would make the same errors and I was right according to a lot of the complaints I have read

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The shallowness of the primary and secondary systems of Guild Wars 2 is what causes this phenomena of 'pointlessness'.

Everyone is essentially the same 2-3 build types, using the same mechanisms. It really doesn't mean a goddamn thing that my Mesmer is tossing exploding butterflies, my Elementalist is hurling ice shards and my Ranger is firing off arrows- the effect and function is mechanically almost identical.

GW2 is the most anonymous MMO I ever played and feels and plays that way to a large degree. One has to buy into the fantasy of giggling at their bespectacled Asura, posing beside waterfalls with their Charr and showing off their rainbow staff Elementalist as a longevity hook.
    I'm going need some clarification on what you mean in regards to play, because GW2 has distinct play for each class that varies between each class much more than other MMOs that I've played.

Even if that Mesmer, Ele and Ranger are all trying to kill the same thing, they play very differently from each other in doing so. So "the effect and function is mechanically almost identical" doesn't make any sense at first glance.

15+ Year Old Account
    I gave GW2 a fair shot, but ultimately I couldn't get into it due to its lack of a hard trinity. I really just like to heal. :/
    Mistweaver Monk | Holy Priest

Quote Originally Posted by zed zebes View Post
    Even if that Mesmer, Ele and Ranger are all trying to kill the same thing, they play very differently from each other in doing so. So "the effect and function is mechanically almost identical" doesn't make any sense at first glance.
    I'm just guessing but I think Fencers might have meant the basic weapon skill layouts are mostly the same between classes. Like the 1 is always the default autoattack, 2 is always the burst skill, etc.

Which isn't say I don't agree that each class feels very different to me and distinct from each other.

As for the OP, the game is very popular. Population is surprisingly decent right now considering the lack of content updates before the expansion. I still see the same people in the game that I've been seeing for the past 6 or so months.

At the same time, it's not near peak population at all. However, it's a very popular MMO. It won't reach the mindshare of WoW because of the timing and culture of the time surrounding WoW. Community was FAR more positive in regards to MMOs at the time of WoW's first expansion compared to the public's attitude towards MMOs now. (Which is a negative attitude mostly formed by playing a lot of WoW.)

At a time where it's cool to hate MMOs, GW2 is still well regarded.

I havent seen any challenging meaningful 5 man content in guildwars 2.

So to answer your question. No

- - - Updated - - -
    Well then, youre in for a treat come expansion.

Except PvP (not speaking to quality, but presence, GW2 has same), most of that stuff was added way later. Is Mythic a Dungeon thing? thought it was just raids. They had the challenge-mode or whatever dungeons, didn't they? Pet Battles was a Mists addition, Brawlers Guild is already dead, isn't it? I've only heard about it, but it didn't seem as well regarded as GW2's limited time equivalent (Queens Gauntlet stuff).

And really, early WoW focused a lot of attention on raiding, but it was a small part of the actual gameplay. Since then, IMO, they've spent more time trying to get more people to raid, rather than coming up with other things to do. GW2 has had an assortment of mini-games, jump puzzles and so on, certainly nothing that lasts forever for fun, but the same can be said for WoW.

(And I'm barely even in GW2 right now, been logging in for daily reward then going back to TOR.)
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."