boomkin mouseover macro

today i started trying to create a mouseover macro for my DoTs. #1. Should I use one? #2. I havent been completely successful yet in making one. im currently using...

/castsequence [@mouseover,exists]Moonfire,Sunfire;[@target]Moonfire,Sunfire

I have been testing this ont he practice dummies. The Sunfire part of it seems to work fine as it will refresh the dot and overwrite the dot if i try. Although it doesnt always show the visual for some reason, but i dont care about that. The Moonfire part of it does not always work for some reason. It seems to sometimes dot and sometimes does not. sometimes it will dot one but not the other, sometimes it will only dot my target... I cant really figure out what its consistently doing but its not doing what i want. Does anyone have a better mouseover macro than this one?

Thanks a lot

Mouseover DOTs aren't really needed.

Typically only useful in PVP settings.
    The Boomkings(WIP) :: YouTube Project

Quote Originally Posted by Cyous View Post

so do you just target each then dot?

Hey dude, try this macro

Code:
    #showtooltip moonfire
    /cast Moonfire [target=mouseover,harm,exists][target=target,harm,exists][target=focus,harm,exists][] Moonfire
    No need for sunfire becuase moonfire turns into sunfire when in solar.

What this macro does is, you can be focused on the boss and just mouse over tidyplates to dot up adds, makes it super easy

Quote Originally Posted by Scrubkin View Post
    so do you just target each then dot?
    Pretty much. TidyPlates makes it a bit easier to track off-target DOTs.

Code:
    #showtooltip
    /cast [@focus,exists][@mouseover,exists][] Moonfire
    if focus exists
    Cast @focus
    Else if mouseover exists
    Cast @mouseover
    Else
    Cast @target

Imlazy to target stuffs

Mouse Wheel Down
    #showtooltip
    /cast [mod:ctrl,@mouseover]Moonfire;[help,@mouseover,nodead]Rejuvenation;[harm,@mouseover,nodead][]Wrath

Mouse Wheel Up
    #showtooltip
    /cast [mod:shift,@mouseover]Cyclone;[mod:ctrl,@mouseover]Entangling Roots;[help,@mouseover,nodead]Healing Touch;[harm,@mouseover,nodead][]Starfire

Mouse Wheel Click
    #showtooltip
    /cast [mod:shift]Ursol's Vortex;[mod:ctrl]Wild Mushroom;Hurricane

R button
    #showtooltip
    /cast [mod:shift]Typhoon;[mod:ctrl@mouseover]Solar Beam;[help,@mouseover,nodead]Remove Corruption;[harm,@mouseover,nodead][]Starsurge
    Last edited by Ern; 2015-08-16 at 12:37 PM.

Ignore this. Mouseovers are extremely useful in pve too.
    Code:
     /cast [@mouseover,exists,harm,nodead] SPELLNAME; SPELLNAME

The Moonfire part of it does not always work for some reason.
    Do you know that Moonfire only works on Lunar phase and Sunfire Only works on Solar phase, don't you?
    Just use Moonfire spell name, the game will change do Sunfire automatically on solar phase.
    Last edited by Ern; 2015-08-16 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soisoisoi View Post
    Ignore this. Mouseovers are extremely useful in pve too.
    Name a situation where mouseover macros are actually needed in PVE, there is literally no difference when 9-29 other people can fulfill the same task, especially interrupts.

Considering DOTs are the primary factor, Sunfire spreads, and you should be in Solar for AOE (with Sunfall glyphed).

Hence, PVP finds them useful ~ but PVE is unneeded. There is no reason to further complicate gameplay for no advantage. (And yes, mouseover macros for DPS have some difficult gameplay associated with it. Healing macros are mandatory imho, but not for DPS.)

Name a situation where mouseover macros are actually needed in PVE, there is literally no difference when 9-29 other people can fulfill the same task, especially interrupts.

Considering DOTs are the primary factor, Sunfire spreads, and you should be in Solar for AOE (with Sunfall glyphed).

Hence, PVP finds them useful ~ but PVE is unneeded. There is no reason to further complicate gameplay for no advantage. (And yes, mouseover macros for DPS have some difficult gameplay associated with it. Healing macros are mandatory imho, but not for DPS.)
    Killshot.. Misdirect.. Various slows (conc shot, slow), I'm sure my class is not the only.

Quote Originally Posted by Christea View Post
    Killshot.. Misdirect.. Various slows (conc shot, slow), I'm sure my class is not the only.
    This is for balance druid (thought it was implied).

probably the dumbest thing I've ever read

and you should be in Solar for AOE (with Sunfall glyphed)
    Are you meaning the minor glyph that turns starfall into sunfall? If so, I have not been using that and didn't realize I should... if yes, should I be using it for all multi target fights?
    Last edited by Scrubkin; 2015-08-16 at 10:45 PM.

Are you meaning the minor glyph that turns starfall into sunfall? If so, I have not been using that and didn't realize I should... if yes, should I be using it for all multi target fights?
    Solstice glyph, yes. It's situational. If you're going to be in Solar to make use of Sunfire's cleave effect, then you may as well use Sunfall. Specifically, it's good when adds will live for ~20sec.

There are more complex theories for maximizing AOE output, but that's the only worth knowing for now. (You can get away with Starfall on everything, this is just small, but noticeable, differences.)

(Don't want to shove the super hardcore playstyles on your plate. Simple and repeatable is always the best solution.)

As a Hunter, I have MO on all of my shot abilities. I can keep auto-shotting and gaining Focus with Steady Shot on the current target, and instantly deal damage on adds without ever switching targets. Amazing for the likes of Kilrogg, Mannoroth and... well most fights since they're all add fights. It saves time between switching and potential losses.

As a Boomkin, or any other class it has the same benefits, time saved between, so you don't have to even target the mobs you literally just mouse-over where you know they're going to spawn and can press xyz abilities as soon as they do. Small but noticeable differences. Why force the "9-29 other people to fulfil the same task" when you can do it too? There's literally no reason not to if you can.

Other classes for PvE Mouseovers:
    DK: Death Grip/Gorefiend's Grasp/Strangulate/Asphyxiate/Chains of Ice/Mind Freeze/Outbreak
    Druid: Interrupts of any spec/Moonfire/Roots/Cyclone/Rejuve
    Mage: CS/Mage Bomb/Ice Nova
    Monk: Interrupt/Paralysis/Provoke
    Rogue - Kick/Blind/Gouge

Need I go on? Point is, if there's a reason they're useful in PvP, then the same goes for PvE -- they're either useful or they're not (Hint: They are).

Note: For PvP Arenas they're not the most efficient, but for WPvP or other instanced PvP they're very useful.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2015-08-17 at 12:16 PM.

Given this is a PvE Moonkin discussion and the fact that their only interrupt is Solar Beam on a 1min cd, pretty much the only thing you would put on mouseover would be Moonfire/Sunfire.

Globals are quite costly for moonkins due to the nature of the eclipse cycle and the relatively low haste. You also don't want to DoT mindlessly on everything. Actually targeting allows you to be sure you are applying dots to the correct target and avoid situations of miss-doting in overlapping mobs. Since there is no autoattack, the global cd is more than enough to switch between targets.

(at least that's my take on it)

Solstice glyph, yes. It's situational. If you're going to be in Solar to make use of Sunfire's cleave effect, then you may as well use Sunfall. Specifically, it's good when adds will live for ~20sec.

There are more complex theories for maximizing AOE output, but that's the only worth knowing for now. (You can get away with Starfall on everything, this is just small, but noticeable, differences.)

(Don't want to shove the super hardcore playstyles on your plate. Simple and repeatable is always the best solution.)
    Good to know. where are some of these more complex theories for aoe output? I would like to read through them.
    Last edited by Scrubkin; 2015-08-17 at 03:54 PM.

OP asked why hes macro wasn't working, not a discussion on how mouse-over macros are useless, its all personal preference

Good to know. where are some of these more complex theories for aoe output? I would like to read through them.
    Unwritten. But involves timing the very start of your AOE at the end of Solar phase. Get your Sunfires rolling, Starfall already ticking (pre-cast before add spawns). Moonfre-spam all the things. It's just exceptionally difficult to pull off due to encounter timing.

today i started trying to create a mouseover macro for my DoTs. #1. Should I use one?