Poll: A slap on the buttock, is it a crime ?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post
    Actually, who have to give an opinion about this are scientists studying this issue, like child psychologists. The idea that having a child makes you some kind of expert in children behavior who have a relevant opinion is just naive.
    I wouldn't say having a child makes you an expert...but it does give you experience that the majority of the posters here do not have.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't agree with any sort of physical punishment towards kids. I was spanked and slapped as a child and it did nothing. It didn't teach me why what I was doing was wrong, just that if I did it again I would be in pain. Plus children should not fear their parents

fear =/= respect

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Like too many things in life, the simple black-and-white approach of all or nothing ignores the real issue.

We certainly want to stop child abuse, but a quick slap to the bottom doesn't scar a child for life like some would like us to believe. Try the carrot approach first, but sometimes your child is only going to respond to the stick such as a quick slap to the bottom, stand in the corner, or (my favorite) carry them out of the store and sit them in their car seat until they realize they aren't going back until they stop.

Deleted
    why do you think hitting a defenseless child is acceptable. When doing the same to an adult would be assault.

You are supposed to protect your children, not hit them.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Yeah, I don't see any reason for assaulted anybody unless I had to, so I for sure don't agree with assaulted a child, I think it should be illegal and anybody caught doing it brought up on charges.
    This one post pretty much sums up what is wrong with society, rather than help the parents with their children lets just lockem up instead..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Houyi View Post
    why do you think hitting a defenseless child is acceptable. When doing the same to an adult would be assault.

You are supposed to protect your children, not hit them.
    There is protecting and there is reasonable disciplining of the child, not doing enough to keep your child on the straight and narrow will lead to major ramifications later in life..

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    I don't agree with any sort of physical punishment towards kids. I was spanked and slapped as a child and it did nothing. It didn't teach me why what I was doing was wrong, just that if I did it again I would be in pain. Plus children should not fear their parents

fear =/= respect
    I had the same experience. One of my parents was more pro spanking when I was little, and I just read it as a fight I was losing, and the second I could squirm away enough to hit back, I'd start hitting back.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post

fear =/= respect
    Thing is that most children of today show not one ounce of respect to their elders.. They are taught in school of their rights and with that they can pretty much do what they like because they know how to get away with it..

Deleted
    Came in expecting random bottom slapping, /disapointed

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grexly75 View Post
    Thing is that most children of today show not one ounce of respect to their elders.. They are taught in school of their rights and with that they can pretty much do what they like because they know how to get away with it..
    Respect is a two way street. Just being a parent and feeding/housing/clothing a child (its your job, get over it) do not mean you are deserving of the utmost respect. You can be abusive in other ways besides physical you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    I had the same experience. One of my parents was more pro spanking when I was little, and I just read it as a fight I was losing, and the second I could squirm away enough to hit back, I'd start hitting back.
    That's exactly why I will never hit my children in order to make them "listen" or "Do what I say" because that is compounding the problem, not fixing it. I don't want them to act good out of fear. I completely agree that parents are supposed to protect their kids, and make them feel safe.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

It seems to have pros and cons, but definitely shouldn't be registered as child abuse. Sometimes very young kids are wild and will respond to literally nothing else. Going too far the other direction, and never punishing your kids, has a very visible negative effect on their growth. If their parents don't knock some sense into them (making that sound more violent than intended, but I'm rolling with it) at a young age, they'll get that sense knocked into them by the world, far less gently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

If it's one thing I've learned from working as a kindergarden teacher it's this: If you respect the kids like the human beings they are, they will respect you back and listen to you. It has to be mutual. You aren't more deserving of respect because you are older than someone - I hate this "honor your elders"-type of culture. The new generations are always better.

If you resort to physical punishment that means you've given up on reasoning. And that whoever is recieving it should right then and there, instantly drop all respect and faith in you as a person.

Deleted
    This one post pretty much sums up what is wrong with society, rather than help the parents with their children lets just lockem up instead..

- - - Updated - - -

There is protecting and there is reasonable disciplining of the child, not doing enough to keep your child on the straight and narrow will lead to major ramifications later in life..
    I've never had to assault a child to "discipline" it. Sorry, but if you think hitting an adult is wrong (and any sane person should think that), then surely hitting a child is worse, the child is smaller, weaker, does not understand.....so you hit it? What kind of fucked up shit is that? If you need to hit a child, for any reason, you have failed as a parent.

As for those people saying the parent loses patience......thats just absurd. its a child, you are an adult, exercise some self restraint.

A kid does not understand why its being hit, its just learning pain and fear. its learning that if it wants to make someone smaller and weaker than itself do something, it should use physical force to make it happen. Its learning to fear the parent, the person it should trust most in the world, the person who should be guiding it, and be there for it, who should incite total trust so the kid can always go to it, no matter what.

If you want your kids to respect you, show them some respect in turn.

- - - Updated - - -

a kid spends its early years with its parents, and most of its time with its parents during it school years.

Dont blame schools for your failures to instill values and manners in your children, and dont blame schools for you not bringing up civilized productive members of society.

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by mmoc3f25629bd0; 2015-08-17 at 11:06 PM.

it's just proven to be a generally bad idea. It doesn't help a child understand the reasons for why they shouldn't do something other than, "because they'll hurt me". Just proven to be a really poor way to raise kids. There are so many so much better ways to incentivize good behavior.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not beating my wife, I'm reasonably disciplining her.

The use of physical force to correct behavior isn't acceptable, period.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Some responses in this thread explain to me why the kids today are entitled brats who have zero respect for authority.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mentia View Post
    Some responses in this thread explain to me why the kids today are entitled brats who have zero respect for authority.
    How do you explain Baby Boomers, then?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    How do you explain Baby Boomers, then?
    What about them?