Poll: Big Wigs x Deadly Boss Mods, which one?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Question Big Wigs x Deadly Boss Mods

so, which one u guys think its better?

i am using big wigs, and personally, for me, i prefer it over DBM. But there's people says dbm is better and even raids that demands you using dbm

Deleted
    bw has more options, is more lightweight and gets updated quicker. simply put, it's better in every regard that matters.

I prefer to use bigwigs, the only thing I prefer in DBM is the HUDmap, but now people are starting to just use weakauras for that.

I use bigwigs, but honestly sometimes bigwigs updates faster and sometimes dbm updates faster depending on bosses or certain tiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadwraith View Post
    bw has more options, is more lightweight and gets updated quicker. simply put, it's better in every regard that matters.
    DBM has like an update a day or more. Not sure how you can be quicker or why there's even a point...

Signature Created by Jassinta

Typically BigWigs has been updating quicker, but this tier it seems that DBM has been doing a better job in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Adramelch View Post
    Typically BigWigs has been updating quicker, but this tier it seems that DBM has been doing a better job in that regard.
    Yeah I finally swapped to bigwigs last tier cause DBM was pretty slow on some shit. This tier Bigwigs has been incredibly slow to update and I've basically just said fuck both and gone to making WA's for anything I want timers for lol

Guildies have said DBM has been spot on this tier though.

In past I've generally not had higher end guilds willing to share logs, often leaving me best to update best I can through log crawling through public logs and videos and doing best I can with that.
    This tier a guild in top 20 finally worked with me to make some of best mods DBM has ever had. It's completely unrivaled on mythic archimond. I hope this continues going forward.
    Not that I felt I was drastically behind on blackhand last tier. I actually corrected a few timers first and had mod more updated first. The caveat was the update was also untested so was bugged for weeks because no one actually tried it (or if they did they didn't report the bugs to me). so the mod literally sat broken until I got to the fight and saw bugs for myself. It was almost upsetting because I tried really hard to make good mods but often simply don't have the testers or feedback to make sure they work as well as I want. my blackhand mod def had more accurate timers and smarter auto correct code when smash was delayed by MFD and such. But actual announces/assignments had fragment/splitting bugs in MFD code that grossly effected mods phase 3 usefulness. Since that's what mattered most in phase 3, made the mods very poor until I was able to see bugs first hand and fix them.

I can say though a lot of mods from last tier (outside of blackhand) were still better. In fact even now you'll fund darmac, iron maidens, some other fights still have more accurate timers. Of course on early fights like darmac, people wouldn't actually notice DBMs tantrum timer is always dead on within like 0.5 seconds and bw can be as much as 10+ seconds off because they didn't account for x y and x affecting other ability timers. Thogar had a pretty nice built in intoframe that eliminated need to run mods like thogar assist. It even went as far as calling out the movements for you. literally telling and DRAWING where to run to for mythic using hud.

DBM traditionally has more features, and better ones when used in powerful ways like the HUD on archimond. I also strive to make sure the encounter mods are more accurate. I try to go extra mile to even dynamically adjust cds on fly when affected by other abilities or recognize and implement the patterns to make timers more accurate. I like to dr house the encounters and just solve the puzzle behind them and make better mods. I think that's where I excel more.

To show I can be unbiased though (something I doubt you'll ever see from a BW author).
    BW is more efficient, has more coders. Better skilled coders that will ensure it uses least cpu possible.
    BW has the support from more top guilds that result in them finding bugs in their mods quicker which can mean despite me making a mod first that's more accurate, theirs might actually WORK first. The last part being something I hope I can change in tiers going forward with more support from higher end guilds willing to test and report on mods and let me fix/enhance them quicker.
    BW has better localized language support. DBM supports maybe 3-4 languages. If you are a french player, or Spanish, or several other languages, your DBM will probably work like crap.
    BW is easier to navigate. GUI work is not my skillset. DBM GUI is clunky at best and can be pretty hard to navigate. Often why many features are overlooked or many users complain about things they didn't even realize they could turn off. Or they request features that were already there because they never enabled them. I've done substantial GUI rearranging and refactoring and it's gotten better in draenor but it's still far from ideal.
    BW is generally simplistic and out of box ready to use. DBM often requires more configuration to fit individual user tastes. More features often makes users feel more spammy. I've toned that a LOT this expansion as well, making code smarter and less redundant in way it warns vs how dbm was in past. But it still may require more user input than BW to get it just right for your needs.

That said, I still try to code as efficiently as I know how with DBM and it's gotten substantially better in recent two expansions. but many core parts of DBM are still sorely overdo for rewriting. DBM by no means is a cpu hog. I profile mods every raid and while it doesn't beat BW by any margin. It's not horrible either. Especially if you do an honest comparison (like disabling hudmap, infoframe, etc, so you can compare it to BW when it's not running features bw doesn't have).
    I try to take any and all feedback about GUI or features in general and am constantly tweaking and updating to ensure i address as much as I can.

BW will constantly claim repeatedly that I steal their stuff. That's flat out false. In fact the one thing I can say for certain is I never trust anything in bigwigs. Since I know I'm generally better with timers and features. Less so with code. If something is broken in DBM it's generally my coding that's at fault.

Now I might add a feature after them if users request it. But I don't steal it. I try to do it my own way. But that's just keeping up with jones'. They constantly add features I did after me too. Like the boss respawn timer idea from last tier. Having two distinct boss mods is good for everyone really because they push each other, and that goes both ways. I would never want there to be a boss mod monopoly because that'd be good for no one.

In my raids, I actually approve users run what they want to run. As long as it's up to date. When I added bigwigs version checking into DBM, some thought i was trying to defeat their faking feature. I frankly don't really care about that. I just felt a raid leader should be able to tell if ANY boss mod was out of date, so they could permit people to choose what mod they want to run. My raids actually have both dbm and bw users. It's allowed. In fact I make sure raids in this manner are compatible. I added seeds yells and assignments stuff first. about 2-3 months ahead of bigwigs, but when they added theirs it was not compatible with DBM. To ensure split mod raids didn't have problems I updated DBM to be compatible. Of course the snark I got for that was "you shouldn't try to add things before we do, because then you don't have anything to copy" , completely ignoring the fact that I TRIED contacting them the day I added it to DBM to work on it together outright for compatibility (and people tell me I'm the dick). My feature wasn't actually broken, and it was guilds that saw it in DBM that requested BW add it. But anyways, I try to keep the mods friendly with one another

anyways, TLDR, both mods have their plus and minus. Run what you want to run. But do so from your own opinion and not someone elses. especially when often times the opinion is from an outdated memory of other mod. DBM has changed a LOT in last year alone. most don't even recognize it now. I'm sure bigwigs has changed a lot too. So compare current to current. Not current to some old memory.
    TRY each mod and use what YOU like. Don't let someone else tell you which is better because at end of day it's subjective to your views. That's the ONLY thing I really have to say about any mod vs mod debate. someone else's opinion may not be your own so letting them decide for you could cut you out of what you'd actually like more. When you do run something, give feedback on it. the users opinions matter more than the authors and good authors listen to them. If something is broken, report it too.

10+ Year Old Account
    The difference between the two at this point is negligible. Each Addon has had there respective tiers where their updates being faster. Just use whatever you like...

As far as coding goes if you are worried about the difference between DBM and BW slowing down your computer, you need a new computer.
    Feel the hatred of 1̶0̶,̶0̶0̶0̶ 10010 years.

Prefer BW. The circles that appear for "bad stuff" with DBM just gives me cancer. (Not actually sure if it's DBM as I haven't used it since WOTLK.)
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Except if you're playing legion xd
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyoken View Post
    The day I die I want the shaman class developers to lower me into my grave so they can let me down one last time.......

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    At first I used DBM, because it was the only option. I stuck with it, because that is the easiest thing to do.

Then DBM made it so that ignoring update warnings when you entered a raid didn't work any more. I was annoyed, but I didn't make the change.

Then I had a couple incidents where it just wouldn't work until I updated it. I took a look through the code and found out that it turned itself off if it found out that someone else (or was it just the raid leader, I can't remember) had a newer version of DBM. I didn't want to deal with this kind of shit, so I left it for BigWigs. Now I can happily know when the boss is being pulled without having to update my addons before every raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Octa View Post
    Yeah I finally swapped to bigwigs last tier cause DBM was pretty slow on some shit. This tier Bigwigs has been incredibly slow to update and I've basically just said fuck both and gone to making WA's for anything I want timers for lol

Guildies have said DBM has been spot on this tier though.
    Some guildies have problems not seeing pull timers and such and they are all using DBM (and they have problems even when the timer was made by a DBM person), so I still prefer BW as I haven't had a single problem on it not working. It's been lagging behind a bit on ability timers and such the truth is, though.

DBM has been better this tier.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I always used DBM but swapped to BigWigs on Mythic Blackhand because It assigned the left // middle // right P3 marks and DBM didn't. I honestly don't really notice the difference, they're pretty much the same but I guess Bigwigs has more options and better options interface.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elementium View Post
    People so addicted that they're actually angry at Blizzard for WoW getting old >.< Insulting WoW because your tired of it is like hating your dad because he's older than you and not as fun as your friends.

I'm currently using both DBM and Exorsus Raid Tools, I have Bigwigs up to date too but don't use it atm.. Don't really have an opinion either way, they do the job.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Deleted
    Bigwigs usually has more accurate timers, for example this week on mythic iskar Dbm was 1 min off on the berserk timer while bigwigs was 100% accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by sdracklryeg View Post
    I always used DBM but swapped to BigWigs on Mythic Blackhand because It assigned the left // middle // right P3 marks and DBM didn't.
    DBM had this feature as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Razecog View Post
    Prefer BW. The circles that appear for "bad stuff" with DBM just gives me cancer.
    Because it's hard to click checkbox to disable something you don't need or don't like?

Quote Originally Posted by TOM_RUS View Post
    DBM had this feature as well.
    DBM had it late - AKA weeks after Bigwigs, or in other words, weeks after the top 100 guilds needed it for progress.

Because it's hard to click checkbox to disable something you don't need or don't like?
    Why would he know there's checkboxes to enable/disbale it if he doesn't use it? First impressions matter, if bigwigs historically has had better tools, added functionality and timers, and doesn't have eye cancer, why would even research DBM to see if he could turn it off? #logic.

Deleted
    DBM All the way! ♥

10+ Year Old Account
    Have been using BW all WoD, it's more customisable than DBM but atleast from my MoP impressions DBM works a lot better out of the box.