Page 1 of 60
... LastLast
    Deleted

"Chrissie Hynde was right about rape. Now feminists want to silence her"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/1...bout-rape.html

By Julia Hartley-Brewer

"By saying that the way women behave and dress can contribute to sexual violence, the singer dared to challenge the othodoxy of modern feminism"

---

My opinion: I agree. I think we need to be able to discuss these issues without hysteria coming from feminists who want to silence the debate, and silence people like Chrissie Hynde and Julia Hartley-Brewer.

What do you think?

This lady came on the news, she was a consultant who worked for universities to reduce instances of rape on campus. Part of her program was to teach young ladies how to avoid rape, don't drink unless it's safe, go in groups of four etc. It was an effective program that worked.

She caught a lot of grief from girls on campus who accused her of victim blaming.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would only rape her if she is hot. So the solution is that women should be ugly.

Infracted.
    Last edited by xskarma; 2015-09-01 at 03:26 PM.

Deleted
    Yes, people should learn to be responsible for their own actions, even woman..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    She caught a lot of grief from girls on campus who accused her of victim blaming.
    Well, that's the discussion point basically in this: where does victim blaming begin and where does personal responsibility for your safety end?

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    What do you think?
    While always good advice, it doesn't get to the core of the problem. It doesn't matter how the woman dresses, if she is raped it isn't her fault because of how she dressed. It is the man's fault for raping.

I'm amazed at how this very simple concept is so difficult to understand.

The fact that we are teaching women ways to avoid getting raped says a lot about how far we have yet to go to be the civilized society we think we are...

The skimpy clothes women wear were designed by women to take advantage of men's more primal desires. Women don't wear the stuff they wear because they like it. They wear it to attract men.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dave Chappelle said it best:

Quote Originally Posted by nôrps View Post
    I just think you retards are starting to get ridiculous with your childish language.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Well, that's the discussion point basically in this: where does victim blaming begin and where does personal responsibility for your safety end?
    I do not think that anyone is saying that the woman are the ones solely responsible for their rape, that would be just as stupid as claiming that they can't do anything wrong.
    But if even admitting that you might have done something wrong as a female will bring you the scorn she has gotten then there is something wrong.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MeHMeH View Post
    I do not think that anyone is saying that the woman are the ones solely responsible for their rape, that would be just as stupid as claiming that they can't do anything wrong.
    But if even admitting that you might have done something wrong as a female will bring you the scorn she has gotten then there is something wrong.
    The rapist is the only one causing the rape. Not both perp and victim.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/1...bout-rape.html

By Julia Hartley-Brewer

"By saying that the way women behave and dress can contribute to sexual violence, the singer dared to challenge the othodoxy of modern feminism"

---

My opinion: I agree. I think we need to be able to discuss these issues without hysteria coming from feminists who want to silence the debate, and silence people like Chrissie Hynde and Julia Hartley-Brewer.

What do you think?
    I think that its never right to victim blame.

That said, whilst we can I am sure all agree we should live in a world where you can wear what you want, and act how you want, and not get physically attacked....thats not the world we actually live in. There is such a thing as taking reasonable steps to protect yourself.

To put it another way, yes I should be able to put on expensive watch and jewelry and go walking through the dodgy-est neighborhood I can find at 3am shouting about how rich and well off I am, and not get attacked....but I'd be fucking stupid to give it a try.

Deleted
    My opinion is:

Rape is always the fault of the awful human being who carries out the action. No actions or situations negate this whatsoever.

At the same time it is important that you realise we don't live in a perfect world. There are awful human beings who murder, rob, rape etc out there and it's important that everyone is aware of this and doesn't put themselves in dangerous situations when it's possible to avoid them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    The skimpy clothes women wear were designed by women to take advantage of men's more primal desires. Women don't wear the stuff they wear because they like it. They wear it to attract men.
    I've already linked articles etc. In past threads that show more conservatively dressed women are at higher risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Naxere View Post
    Dave Chappelle said it best:

Yeah, in the US our comedians are our intellectuals.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikesglory View Post
    My opinion is:

Rape is always the fault of the awful human being who carries out the action. No actions or situations negate this whatsoever.

At the same time it is important that you realise we don't live in a perfect world. There are awful human beings who murder, rob, rape etc out there and it's important that everyone is aware of this and doesn't put themselves in dangerous situations when it's possible to avoid them.
    Dangerous situations like having a boyfriend or male friends?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    While I as a woman would not be that crazy running around drunk and in underwear by night and expecting to go out without any harm (=common sense, dictated by expecation of the worst qualities of people anywhere), I still would want men to behave and not try to rape me if I should ever be in such a situation.

Rape is a crime, and the focus should lie on the criminal, not the victim.

Let's be honest, the homophobia of some men can only stem from the fear, that homosexual men could to onto them the same thing, they would have no problem to do unto women. The big underlying problem is not the attire of women, but the fact that many men don't view rape as a crime, because "the bitches want this" in their weird private world.

Hello there! Would you want a gay man to rape you? No? Then don't rape women!

I don't think anybody is arguing who is responsible for the rape; obviously the male doing the raping. What's being said is that women can certainly contribute to making themselves more of a target based on how they dress. Does that mean the woman has done anything wrong? Of course not. Does that mean they should be forced to dress a certain way or not dress another? Absolutely not, but you cannot argue there's no correlation between the two. Saying "dressing a certain way can increase your odds of being a victim" is in no way an attempt to say it's the woman's fault or that she's done anything wrong, it's just a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilla Blomma View Post
    Dangerous situations like getting blackout drunk

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilla Blomma View Post
    That's definitely not a dangerous situation in the vast majority of cases. But the personal experience of the person who made this statement originally is a good example of situations you should probably avoid.

You wouldn't walk drunk through an area known for muggings while flashing your phone and expensive watch.
    You probably shouldn't get drunk with a biker gang and suggest group sex.
    You wouldn't deliberately trespass on the land of someone you know is a gun nut who shoots tresspassers on sight.

None of these situations negates the crime carried out, but at the same time you should try to maintain a level of personal safety.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Extremity View Post
    I don't think anybody is arguing who is responsible for the rape; obviously the male doing the raping. What's being said is that women can certainly contribute to making themselves more of a target based on how they dress. Does that mean the woman has done anything wrong? Of course not. Does that mean they should be forced to dress a certain way or not dress another? Absolutely not, but you cannot argue there's no correlation between the two. Saying "dressing a certain way can increase your odds of being a victim" is in no way an attempt to say it's the woman's fault or that she's done anything wrong, it's just a fact.
    Dressing conservatively increases the chance. Not "skimpy".