Deleted

Should i role a prot warrior?

Hi!

I am considering level a prot warrior but i am noobie at tanking so...

Do you think is a good idea begin tanking with a warrior?

7+ Year Old Account
    Prots pretty easy play style wise when it comes to tanking, you can also dps with it as glad if you dont like tanking or want to Dps in your group.

I enjoy playing it so i encourage you to do so as well
    Last edited by Fawkess; 2015-09-05 at 01:41 AM.

Deleted
    oh , ty ^^

/10char

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Riptor View Post
    Prots pretty easy play style wise when it comes to tanking,
    No, it's not. Unless you're not aiming to be good at it .

Quote Originally Posted by Rypherior View Post
    Hi!

I am considering level a prot warrior but i am noobie at tanking so...

Do you think is a good idea begin tanking with a warrior?

Prot has its flaws and its qualities. Actually, it's one of the best tanking specs (at least in the top 2).
    Its gameplay is always engaging and provides a lot of stability.

Still, like anything else, you'll have to work hard at it to eventually master it, but if you're looking for an easy tanking spec ("easy" = that will allow you a lot of room to mess up), then Prot isn't the best spec for you.

You'll get destroyed as a bad Prot Warrior, whilst you'll get destroy slightly less badly with other specs.

I think it's a good choice for a new tank. The rotation is simple (ss>rev>dev). The mitigation is easy to understand (max effective block uptime in most situations. Barrier for unblockable spikes or to not rage cap.) Weave other cds into block downtime. There are of course many nuances and I'm dramatically oversimplifying, but if you do what I just said, you'll already be better than a majority of tanks.

It's a fairly straight forward and high paced spec, it's one of the easier tanking specs to play. Good survivability, great mobility, high damage output and the ability to switch stances and become a real dps.. I definitely recommend anyone to play a Prot Warrior, it's one of the best specs in the game right now in terms of class design and a stark contrast to Arms/Fury (generally thought of as badly designed, horrible specs).
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Riptor View Post
    you can also dps with it as glad if you dont like tanking or want to Dps in your group.
    l
    Debatable. The gearing style for prot is different then the gearing style of gladiator. Some prot warriors will go full on mastery for survival, while gladiator goes towards crit more.

That said, Prot is ok. I find it boring. I really find it lacking in anti magic defense. We rely heavily on having Something up most of the time to mitigate damage. The one true anti magic move we have is weak and barely makes any noticeable differences.

Certainly not a class I would recommend for a noob tank. I would recommend dks for that. Very few offensive moves and a smallish tool kit with clear, obvious choices on when to use them. Their biggest mitigation move, death strike, can be managed entirely by an addon to tell you when to use it. One other easy one would be prot paladins. Their mitigation is very straight forward as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    It's a fairly straight forward and high paced spec, it's one of the easier tanking specs to play. Good survivability, great mobility, high damage output and the ability to switch stances and become a real dps.. I definitely recommend anyone to play a Prot Warrior, it's one of the best specs in the game right now in terms of class design and a stark contrast to Arms/Fury (generally thought of as badly designed, horrible specs).
    Cannot agree with this assessment for a new player. We also can't "Switch stances to become a real dps". Maybe if you use gladiator and were gearing towards crit, but only outside of combat can you change stances for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

You don't need to gear towards crit to do good dps as gladiator, you can just use your tanking set exactly as it is (aside from legendary ring), which is likely to have more than sufficient crit in any case. And nobody said anything about switching stances during combat.

My strongest stat if I sim my Gladiator set right now is Mastery, followed by Multistrike and then Crit.. At high levels of gear Crit really levels off because you will have more than enough from basic HFC itemisation. In any case it really doesn't matter what you throw on with Gladiator, pretty much any setup of HFC tanking gear (even the badly optimised stuff that you won't want for either set) will allow you to do good dps as Glad.

I'd also argue that DK is a harder tank to play than Warrior, requires a lot more thinking to manage runes and cooldowns and the death strike gameplay than the straight forward Protection Warrior tanking.

Edit : Just to make a point here, one of our Warriors (who is currently tanking for us) regularly plays Gladiator dps on farm and has a top 5-10 ranking for the spec on every single fight he's done, including a couple of rank 1s, trinkets/ring aside there is no difference between his gear for tanking Mythic HFC and dpsing as a Gladiator.

You can check him on WCL, named Derodan.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2015-09-08 at 04:21 AM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4