Thread: Upcoming MMOs?

Upcoming MMOs?

I haven't been on much to keep up with what's coming out soon. I have no interest in WoW anymore but I want to grind some stuff out somewhere. Are there any upcoming games that are promising? I'd like to get in on something from the ground floor and not something that's been around for years.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodaway View Post
    I haven't been on much to keep up with what's coming out soon. I have no interest in WoW anymore but I want to grind some stuff out somewhere. Are there any upcoming games that are promising? I'd like to get in on something from the ground floor and not something that's been around for years.
    Blade and soul will launch in west quite soon I think, so it will be new and fresh here.
    Skyforge is an mmo currently in open beta available now, a fun game.
    Wildstar will "re-launch" at the end of this month as f2p

Investor confidence seems to have shriveled up in the MMO market.

It's a massive investment and many MMOs have turned out to be minor successes. Investors and developers probably view MMOs as an inefficient placement of capital and labor relative to, say, the mobile market.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Deleted
    While not technically new, Archeage is launching a fresh server tonight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Albion Online if you are into sandbox games with a strong PvP element, not recommended to be played solo, a decent guild is a requirement.

Blade & Soul is being ported to the West this Spring; it's an action combat (no bars or anything WoWish) game with an Eastern Fantasy setting. As with all Eastern mmos, it has skimpy girls so that might be a no-no if you have sanity left.

Star Citizen; a MMO space simulator is in development by Chris Roberts and may be out for beta next year, possible release in 2017.

7+ Year Old Account
    you really should try wildstar when it gets f2p (29th september) got into the f2p beta and i just LOVE the game!

Formerly known as Arafal

I may try Wildstar. bought it at launch but real life got me and i never got to get into it

Deleted
    Project Theralon.. the site of which I had to dig up before posting here and which now direct to the dragon's prophet mmo for some reason..?

Did theralon die a silent death? I remember reading about the project a few months ago (may/june?) as still being a work in progress.

I am looking forward to when Wildstar is F2P, I enjoyed it when I did play it loved the housing a lot, but didn't want to pay for two MMOs at the same time so kind of stopped since I had so much time invested in wow. Now that I quit wow for a while, it will be nice to get back into wildstar.

Deleted
    Skyforge is actually a hugely hyped MMO coming out.

Anyone using the words "exciting" or "hyped" when referring to the future of MMORPGs are kidding themselves. There are a few niche communities looking forward to B&S, Black Desert, Skyforge, Wildstar F2P, GW2 expansion, EQNext, Crowfall, Tree of Savior, etc. but that's about it.

The only MMORPGs with any kind of a future are WoW, FFXIV, and maybe a few MMORPG-likes such as Destiny and Warframe what not. Even their future is pretty bleak though. The age of MMORPGs (at least as we know it traditionally) is coming to an end. People want more reward for less (time) investment now. They want to be able to get in and get back out. Blizzard recognized that hence their direction with WoD and what not, but they haven't figured out the best formula for it yet. I guess all that's kind of off-topic though.

So to the OP, as far as new entries there's not really much to choose from (sure there are new MMORPGs coming out, but any that are promising?). B&S didn't do too well for NCSoft in the East so I doubt it'll do much better here. Black Desert looks nice but the gameplay seems pretty shallow. Skyforge just seems like a Neverwinter/Tera wannabe (maybe with some Vindictus mixed in). EQNext/Crowfall are a long ways off. Tree of Savior will be popular with the Ragnarok crowd but I dunno if it really has mass-market appeal. etc.
    Last edited by Maconi; 2015-09-13 at 01:05 AM.

Blade & Soul first CB is at the end of October with 4 more following. Expected release date early-spring 2016

Everquest Next is a big tease if you've ever watched people play Landmark, which is the playground for the engine. 2016/2017 24 month time span.

The Division is not talked about enough. Open world 3rd person shooter with other elements sprinkled on, you have the option of sabotaging your team at any point. March 8th 2016.

Black Desert, pegged for 2016 release date. Lot of hype around this. Not much is known other than how pretty it is and the character creation screen is the best. No other game comes even remotely close to how many things you can adjust on a slider.
    Those are the big 4 coming out. Can't really think of any other MMO on its hype level. A personal one of mine that I believe will be a sleeper hit: Peria Chronicles. If you've played and enjoyed Ni No Kuni, oh my loving good. Youtube this gem, no idea if there's a release date/has it been released? It looks phenomenal.

Proclaiming the death of MMO's is quite a silly thing to do. The problem is the market is poly supersaturated with different MMO's and people have TONS of choices. This is probably why folks aren't playing wow as much these days either.

WoW is the gold standard and while you might not be a fan of WoW today, you'll (as we all do) eventually come back to it.

Back on topic:

Crowfall, Star Citizen, The Division, EQ Next (DOA?), and others all at least provide glimpses of what we might see in the future. I think the problem with them however is pretty much going to be the same problem WildStar had: They released before the game was done or at least was stable.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maconi View Post
    The only MMORPGs with any kind of a future are WoW, FFXIV
    Not this again...

There's truckloads more of MMO's that are chugging along just fine.
    Most MMOs do not have to have 5mil+ players to have "a future"...

Quote Originally Posted by Sicnus View Post
    WoW is the gold standard and while you might not be a fan of WoW today, you'll (as we all do) eventually come back to it.
    Why do people think this? Most of the people I know who played WoW moved on YEARS ago.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by RoninaThorstone View Post
    Why do people think this? Most of the people I know who played WoW moved on YEARS ago.
    It'll be in the same league as the others in a few years. I don't see it rising past 5 million once everyone's played Legion for a few months. It's inevitable. All Gods burn and crash eventually.

Forgot one to add to the list: Lost Ark. Isometric diablo-esque mmorpg. Try and wrap your head around that. Gameplay is fast and there seems to be a lot of variety with 18 planned classes.