Cool Won an Intel i7-5960X. Upgrade or Sell? Halp

Hello,

Trying to decide what to do with this newly acquired (free) processor. I hadn't planned on upgrading my current CPU anytime soon, but it may be time.

Option 1:
    If I were to upgrade, which parts do you recommend I upgrade and do you have any recommendations?

Basics:
    • Budget flexable, but roughly Mobo ($250), Ram ($200), Cooler ($100).
    • Resolution 1080p (higher in the future)
    • Software: Mainly gaming (Bioshock Infinite, Witcher 3, Warcraft, Guild Wars 2, Project Cars), with a little bit of streaming. Previous job required video transcoding, but not currently.

Current build:
    CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K 3.6GHz
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
    Motherboard: Asrock Z68 Extreme7
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600
    Boot Disk: SSD OCZ Vertex 3 (120GB)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB (Games, Vids, Music)
    Storage: SAMSUNG SpinPoint P Series HD160JJ 160GB (Cloud Storage stuff)
    Storage: Seagate GoFlex USB3.0 2TB (Backup)
    Video Card: Asus STRIX GTX980
    Monitor: Asus VW246H (24inch 1920x1080)
    Monitor: Dell E196FP (19inch 1280x1024)
    Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 650D
    Power Supply: Corsair AX860
    Operating System: Win10

Option 2:

Sell the processor and buy new GSync Monitor?

Thanks in advance, and let me know if you need more information.

10+ Year Old Account
    This CPU is a freaking beast and personally speaking I'd keep it. But I believe you're going to have a hard time finding a decent motherboard for it at $250.

coming from an IT tech person: keep it.
    coming from your bank account: sell it.
    Games don't use more than 4 cores RARELY, and even though that thing is a fucking monster that wants to be unleashed from its cage and OCd to the walls - you really won't see a big performance increase from using it. You'll have sweet, sweet, SWEET 3dmark scores though...

so all in all: i'd sell it. 2600k is still a very fast chip.
    i7-6700k @ 4.4ghz \ EVGA GTX 1080 FTW \ MSI z170a Carbon \ corsair hx 850 mod \ 16gb savage 2666 \ 4tb raid 1 wd black \ 256gb 600p m.2pcie
    HakudoshiFarsaj

Deleted
    Speak to noctua to see if you can get the 2011 brackets for your cooler, that should save you a lot of money as that cooler works, just buy a new board to fit it, otherwise you are golden, I wouldn't sell it really.

Sell it. You'll probably get better gaming performance out of your current rig. Most games barely use 4 threads, let alone 16.

Get a decent SSD for game loading.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    Sell it. You'll probably get better gaming performance out of your current rig. Most games barely use 4 threads, let alone 16.

I'm considering this. My games folder right now is over 500gb. Any SSD you recommend? Maybe two 500gb SSDs and raid 0 them?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, for gaming it's mostly irrelevant. For anything else done at the computer the leap in performance should be enormous.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Yeah, for gaming it's mostly irrelevant. For anything else done at the computer the leap in performance should be enormous.
    How about encoding for streaming on twitch? Are there OBS or XSplit CPU benchmarks? hah

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swiffer View Post
    How about encoding for streaming on twitch? Are there OBS or XSplit CPU benchmarks? hah
    I'd say that your 2600K wouldn't have too much of a problem handling the streaming but with the 5960X you can literally put everything at the maximum quality possible and forget about it. Those kinds of software tend to use all the threads, which benefits a lot this CPU.

Deleted
    Get this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Motherboard: Asus X99-A/USB 3.1 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($233.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($115.78 @ Mac Mall)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($159.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $509.75
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-16 04:39 EDT-0400

Contact Noctua and get the 2011-3 fitting for your cooler. I used the savings from your RAM to get a large SSD.

Personnally, I would sell the 5960x + your current CPU/Mobo/Ram and upgrade to Skylake (6700K) and keep that NH-D14 :P

I agree with the "get Skylake" assessment. Or keep your build. Anyway, even tho it's awesome and future proof, I'd sell it.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post

i agree sell it, but this chip will definetely outperform a 2600k given everything else equal.the difference just wont be worth the $900 or so you can put in your pocket (plus the extra you have to shell out for a mobo and ddr4)
    Intel i5-2500k@4.4ghz
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Razer Naga

Personally I'd keep it just to have it, but selling it is probably your best option unless you plan on turning your PC into a workstation computer

Are you in need of real life money (in need meaning you can't do anything fun because you gotta pay the bills to survive)? If yes sell it, if no enjoy your new badass toy.

Sell it and upgtade your rig with that money. That CPU is quite expensive and you should make a decent buck with it. Aim for an i5 or something.
    And with the rest have a nice day out with friends or something. Refresh your batteries. Fun stuff you know.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Weischbier View Post
    Sell it and upgtade your rig with that money. That CPU is quite expensive and you should make a decent buck with it. Aim for an i5 or something.
    And with the rest have a nice day out with friends or something. Refresh your batteries. Fun stuff you know.
    why would he go buy a i5 if his current build has an i7?

Owh on OP's question, i present to you the 3th option. The option thats laughble, greedy, and not in your best interest. Give it to me =P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onaturi View Post
    why would he go buy a i5 if his current build has an i7?

Owh on OP's question, i present to you the 3th option. The option thats laughble, greedy, and not in your best interest. Give it to me =P
    I was thinking the same thing lol i was like ugh why would op want an i5 considering his current build has an i7. But yea i would sell the processor and get an SSD or something more than 4 cores like everyone said really isnt used in games.