Poll: Do you care about the lore?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Question Do you care about the lore?

Hello champions of Tyria! Good to see you today!

So, something has been bothering me: Do you care about the lore in GW2?

Other MMO's, like WoW, have a pretty cool lore, full of amazing characters and things like that.
    Aside from the story of my favourite npc ever in an MMO (Tybalt! ), I'm not "familiar" with the lore of the game and or/the characters, and I end up not caring too much, even with the personal story.

What about you?

See you soon!
    Last edited by Lotus Victoria; 2015-09-18 at 04:43 PM.

Aside from the Ascalonian-Charr backstory, I didn't find the lore particularly interesting. Rytlock was the only character in the story I had a liking to, and even he didn't get much screen time compared to Traenheart.

Deleted
    the only lore I really know of is the backstory of the sylvari, and a bit of the humans.

Not at all.

Guild Wars 1 captivated me fully. GW2, could not care less.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only a few bits and pieces as most of it is a jumbled mess IMO. I basically RP (making up little scenarios in my head as I explore and do hearts, JPs, etc) my characters while I do stuff when I'm not doing story stuff.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

I like GW2s lore, it's very deep and there's tons of potential to tell more interesting stories in the game. Events are great but there could be more with it's own storylines. Don't get me wrong: there are quite a few event-chains out there which are outstanding, but not nearly enough imo. Lately events are more about big metaevent chains which tell us the story about Tyria's war (against Mordremoth at the moment).

Quote Originally Posted by Turbotef View Post
    Only a few bits and pieces as most of it is a jumbled mess IMO. I basically RP (making up little scenarios in my head as I explore and do hearts, JPs, etc) my characters while I do stuff when I'm not doing story stuff.
    Are there specific things you feel are a jumbled mess? Perhaps we can clarify.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

I've seen a lot worse "jumbled messes" in an mmo than this one. I quite like the lore. I thought it was better presented in GW1 though.

Reflecting on this topic, I realize that I only know the barest plot outline of GW2. I don't know what the "story" actually is or remember most what I did read/hear in-game.

For example, I remember the Charr areas having lore relevant to my interests but can not recall a single thing from those areas. Only that it was there, so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    The thing is, sometimes you just want to play the goddamned game. Not sift through 4000 pages of random stuff to find the 1000 pages that are actually relevant to the book you're reading. So the result is that sometimes you just kind of float through the zones, barreling through one event after the next, and never really see anything that's going on because you didn't stop and wait 90 seconds for some NPC dialog to start or something.
    I feel there is some truth in this- although I recall enjoying/being interested in the story of certain areas. Like little of it stuck though.

More accurate to my experience, though I think your insight is valid too, GW2 has a real anonymity to it all. I always felt like stuff was just happening all the time and most of it didn't concern me or was so 'busy' (so to speak) that my character didn't matter ultimately.

You're the commander of the pact, of course you matter!
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

No not at all. As in I don't put any effort into it. Whatever I pick up I pick up. I do like the idea behind races etc, it gives character to my characters, but eventually it all stops mattering as there is next to no practical difference between playing the different races, other than the fantasy in your head.

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I finished Victory or Death! yesterday (after two years playing the game ) and I was quite impressed of how boring the ending was, even if the mission was fun.
    The only characters that I really, really remember in GW2 are Logan, Caithe, Zojja, Rytlock and Eir (OFC) and Tybalt.

Tybalt was a very well writen character. He was charismatic, likable and funny.

Let's hope that with the new "Loremaster" mastery, the lore and characters get better too.

I ended up caring more about the lore when the living world started. I haven't played an MMO with constant story updates as this one before, so couldn't help but want to see what would happen next.

I remember meeting the new cast for the first time and how their characters developed since then. It seems to be a cast of minorities with the lesbian couple, the foreshadowing of an interracial couple between a Norn/charr, the bad guy slyvari who is trying to redeem his past actions and the crippled child-genius asura.

So I guess you can say I care more about what happens to these characters than the overall plot regarding the dragons.

Everyone cares about lore.

Those who read every line of story in the game, or even those who ignore everything cos 'lol lore' but then know the name of every villain, character, etc.

So yes, even if not all 'jump in' and admit they care about lore. EVERYONE does.

Otherwise the game, or games in general would be - kill X monsters. kill boss A. Use ability Y. Zones would be called Zone1,Zone2,Zone3, etc. All that is lore, even if people don't realize it. Without lore, you wouldn't have ---RPGs.

(That being said... there's good lore, and bad lore :P)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    Otherwise the game, or games in general would be - kill X monsters. kill boss A. Use ability Y. Zones would be called Zone1,Zone2,Zone3, etc. All that is lore, even if people don't realize it. Without lore, you wouldn't have ---RPGs.

(That being said... there's good lore, and bad lore :P)
    Hopefully you do know that games like super mario bros (the old ones for the SNES) work exactly according to this principle.
    You run from one side of the level to the other, defeat bosses (most of them named, some not) and finish the game without caring that much about the lore (you have to save the princess, that's it).
    Most of the zones in these games were even called zone 1, zone 2 etc..

While it is ofcourse true that RPGs (even MMORPG) benefit from having a both an interesting storyline and a fair amount of lore (which would in turn strengthen the storyline and the characters in game), not all games require lore.

Also, to build upon the first part of your post, not everyone cares about lore.
    A good case in point would be the PvP players in this game, who can play PvP without taking one step into the open world or experience any of the story besides the introduction mission.

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    Otherwise the game, or games in general would be - kill X monsters. kill boss A. Use ability Y. Zones would be called Zone1,Zone2,Zone3, etc. All that is lore, even if people don't realize it.
    I often think of MMOs in this context. I forget all the names of things (skills, towns, NPCs, zones, etc) and only really know them by their general look exit/entry points, the 1/2/3 buttons, et cetera.

Generally, only gameplay is relevant to my interests.

Without lore, you wouldn't have ---RPGs.
    This is objectively false. Role Playing does not explicitly require any mythos, narrative or plot. I can write you a DD/T right now that could be paper proofed without mythos or narrative.

Deleted
    It's a great game, but the lore... not my pair of shoes... I did story once and that's enough for me

Deleted
    Got into GW lore, and was interested in it in the beginning of GW2.

When they added Scarlet my interest dropped dead instantly and haven't been interested since.

Deleted
    I dont know if "care" is the right word for it. I just enjoy the story and I like woodenpotatoes lore videos about the guild wars universe.