Deleted

Visiting The States, what parts to get?

Hello there. I am visiting The States in November (Blizzcon, yay!). I know computer parts are much cheaper in the US than in Europe (especially this tiny country called Netherlands, everything I try to order from Amazon says "no we don't ship there"...), so I am considering getting a couple PC parts while there! I've decided on CPU, GPU and mobo. See my last post.

Budget: 700-1000 euro / 800-1100 usd (conversion rate on my bank account is 1 euro for 1.11140 usd)
    Resolution: My screen is 1920 x 1200, 22".
    Games / Settings Desired: I am flexible here. Pre-ordered Fallout 4, would love to play that on high settings. No lag beats high graphics though. I can afford to spend 500-1000 euro on parts every year, so if it's wise to spend less now to replace parts later, please say so.
    Any other intensive software or special things you do: Nothing really
    Country: United States (need to be taken on an airplane), Netherlands
    Parts that can be reused: Got 2 screens with HDMI port.
    Do you need an OS?: No. Still enrolled in a uni, free Windows, yay!
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)?: I could do with a new keyboard and speakers. Everything else is themed red/black and I'm neurotic about sticking to the theme.

Added:

Little bump! I've done some research and this is my build so far. How does that look? Anything you think I should change? I'm aware I'm missing a cooler. What can you advise me? By the way, I don't care about optical drives. I have a usb blu ray player collecting dust in the unlikely situation I have to use a cd.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($248.95 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($124.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($333.49 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($103.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM (64-bit) ($134.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $1181.39
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-30 15:43 EDT-0400

I won't have to pay for Windows, I just included it to show the current build. I'd get the cpu + mobo for $399 from Microcenter. Which gets me to $1016. How does this look?
    Last edited by mmoc7be6787211; 2015-09-30 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Updated build

If the total value is more than 500 dollars, customs and excise will want some money off you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyonis View Post
    Slightly off-topic question: Am I going to have trouble at border control with computer parts in my bag?
    Yes.

TSA.gov or some other government page has a FAQ about this very subject.

My advice to you is save your receipts and more importantly your boxes, so that when your parts are inspected or stolen from you you can prove what they are/were.

Remember some blue-shirted mouth-breather is going to think your ram is a detonator, and your Power-supply is some kind of bomb. Expect the worst.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    If the total value is more than 500 dollars, customs and excise will want some money off you.
    Confirmed.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you are going to Blizzcon, you'll be near Microcenter! Great place to shop for anything you are looking for

http://www.microcenter.com/ The store near all the Blizzcon stuff is in Tustin, CA.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gaexion Ramza Beoulve View Post
    Remember some blue-shirted mouth-breather is going to think your ram is a detonator, and your Power-supply is some kind of bomb. Expect the worst.
    They see this stuff all the time... don't assume.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermicious View Post
    They see this stuff all the time... don't assume.
    I hope so. I know about custom charges. I can take up to 430 euro of goods back home without paying taxes (21%), so 860 euro total. I'll edit this in my post.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I hope so. I know about custom charges. I can take up to 430 euro of goods back home without paying taxes (21%), so 860 euro total. I'll edit this in my post.
    Depends some on if you put it in carry-on or checked baggage. They may open your bag for visual check either way. Having receipts/etc will make it go smoother if you are questioned.

Deleted
    I'll give customs a phone call when it opens. What parts do you people advise me to get though? Thanks for the help!

Customs told me everything will count together. I can share the stuff I bought with my partner, so we can take 430 euro each. If we take more, we need to pay 21% taxes for each item that surpasses that price.
    Last edited by mmoc7be6787211; 2015-09-23 at 06:43 PM.

Deleted
    Things you can carry easily, like a gpu, mobo, an ssd on sale etc. Not worth getting hdds, cpu, od, cases, ram and definately not monitors cause too many things can go wrong. Those usually have similar prices in eu. Problem is how can you test them to be 100% sure they work and not DoA? If you can't then...i wouldn't buy it. Maybe the shop you buy can test it on the spot for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    Things you can carry easily, like a gpu, mobo, an ssd on sale etc. Not worth getting hdds, cpu, od, cases, ram and definately not monitors cause too many things can go wrong.
    CPU and RAM are the two components with the highest value density (per weight or per volume) you can get, and they come with protective plastic cases that save space. Both are highly unlikely to by DoA or otherwise defective as compared to the GPU or mobo. They're also the least likely to be damaged during transport. I've dropped my CPU before, and it still works fine.

If there was a way to test the components, I'd get:

1) CPU
    2) SSD
    3) RAM
    4) GPU (if space allows)
    5) Mobo (if space allows)

Also consider getting a PSU since there's a greater selection in the US (e.g. Seasonic). PSU to wall outlet cables are modular, so that shouldn't be an issue, just make sure the PSU supports the voltage back home. Some older PSUs have a switch, most modern quality PSUs have auto switching between 110V (US) and 240V (EU).

Deleted
    There is no reason to get a cpu or ram cause they have the same prices more or less in EU as well. Thats the reason i didn't mention them not cause they might get harmed during a trip... Unless you go to microcenter and find a cpu/mobo/ram sales deal.

Deleted
    Even for CPUs I'm looking at a 30% price difference. I guess I'll see how big everything is and how much of a discount I can get at Microcenter.

- - - Updated - - -

This is the build I'm aiming for. I'm missing a motherboard and CPU cooler, SSD (250-500 gb), a case, and I think I need a sound card and network card? Maybe cables? So far I've always upgraded existing systems, so I'm not entirely sure what to expect.

The first one is parts I'd get from US, second one is using parts I'd get at home (prices in Germany are comparable to at home)

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($327.99 @ NCIX US) (Actually $299 if I go to Micro Center)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($86.89 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($348.99 @ SuperBiiz) (or maybe http://www.microcenter.com/product/4...DR5_Video_Card from Micro Center)
    Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $808.86
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-23 14:06 EDT-0400

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (€349.33 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (€89.49 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card (€361.26 @ Mindfactory)
    Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (€79.90 @ Caseking)
    Total: €879.98
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-23 20:11 CEST+0200

Getting in US:
    - CPU
    - SSD

Getting at home:
    - RAM
    - Case

Not sure:
    - GPU (need advice on which one is good)
    - Motherboard (unless it's cheaper and I can take it in my bag without damaging it)
    - Power supply (I may send it through post if it's cheaper)

So, could you give me some advice regarding what other parts to pick? And how does the GPU go with the rest of the build? As mentioned in the OP, my budget is around 1000 euro / 1100 dollars, but I can go over that, if it would make the build better balanced. Thank you!
    Last edited by mmoc7be6787211; 2015-09-23 at 06:29 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    For starters be aware:

The stuff you will bring make sure it's allowed into hand baggage and that it's packed very well as it needs to fit in the compartment above you.
    You could bring a GFX card but a mobo is pushing it due to it's delicate nature vs. people in the plane ramming their bags all over the place.

PSU: Don't bother bringing that from the US as it's just too big/cumbersome with the box and everything.

Anything that is relatively small you can bring and you should bring it in the bag you're allowed to bring onto the plane.

F.ex. just bring a CPU, SSD, RAM and GPU... toss the boxes and bring only what you can tuck away.

Don't have any computer stuff in the bags that go into the plane cargo hold, unless you're VERY lucky it WILL get damaged. (personal experience here)

I've done the exact same thing and live in the NL as well and luggage carriers are NOT friendly with bags.

So as much as it's more expensive get the bigger components from our own shops (PSU, Mobo, HDD... etc.).

Let's not start with how you should specify at customs that you're going to a "gaming convention in Anaheim" ... otherwise they will ask you more questions.
    As the people in my party were confronted and delayed by the customs thinking we were going and I quote "Attending black magic witches and warlocks conventions".

Also make sure that you know the exact value you can bring along before customs will tear you a new one and print that out for the people at the airport to be able to read that as well ... because they honestly have no idea, or play that they don't know, how much you're allowed to bring.

Last thing:
    Make sure you fill out and pay the following crap: https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/
    If you don't fill this out and pay them (thieves....) they can deny you access to the US and you'll basically be SoL at the airport.
    Either that or pay an extra fine, fill it out and be very courteous to the customs there because if you even so much as get annoyed visibly they will deny you access.

They are extremely grouchy.

Deleted
    @Evildeffy Thank you! I've taken care of that and it's accepted, so all good. I've also contacted customs and I'll be fine. I can take a CPU, GPU and RAM considering my budget. I may get a PSU and send it through the post.

@willq I noticed! I'm looking at an 80 euro difference for the GTX 970.

Deleted
    Little bump! I've done some research and this is my build so far. How does that look? Anything you think I should change? I'm aware I'm missing a cooler. What can you advise me? By the way, I don't care about optical drives. I have a usb blu ray player collecting dust in the unlikely situation I have to use a cd.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($248.95 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($124.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($333.49 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($103.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM (64-bit) ($134.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $1181.39
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-30 15:43 EDT-0400

15+ Year Old Account
    Personal recommendations:

All looks fine but I would pick some other things but purely out of future selection (note: I did not say proofing!) and aesthetics.

GFX: I would go for something like an MSI R9 390X Gaming 8G, yes it's 60 USD more but it's in general better without question.
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX, because it just looks so much more bad ass and is very spacious and amazing handling system.

As for the rest... bring me 1 of those PSUs from the US as well would you? Been looking for a fully modular good PSU here around that price and there aren't fking any.

Deleted
    Yep, PCUs are expensive here. I'll probably take it as well. I like the case you suggested. I'm going to look into that. Tad more expensive here though, and I don't think a case will fit in my bag.

About the GPU, it looks good. I'll consider it. Thing is though, I want to do certain things that I'm quite sure I'm not allowed to talk about on here for which I'll need an Nvidia GPU. And I think both WoW and Assassin's Creed run better on Nvidia, right?

15+ Year Old Account
    Yep, PCUs are expensive here. I'll probably take it as well. I like the case you suggested. I'm going to look into that. Tad more expensive here though, and I don't think a case will fit in my bag.

About the GPU, it looks good. I'll consider it. Thing is though, I want to do certain things that I'm quite sure I'm not allowed to talk about on here for which I'll need an Nvidia GPU. And I think both WoW and Assassin's Creed run better on Nvidia, right?
    The case won't fit and yes it's more expensive but I personally would say "WORTH IT", that's how much I like that range of cases from Phanteks.

PM me with what you want to do with it but is there a real difference between AMD and nVidia in Assassin's Creed? Nah not that much actually.
    Both are so close to each other it's creepy with the edge going to the R9 390X with more wins till you push the GTX 980 far in overclocking.
    The difference is that an R9 390X is 100 USD cheaper than a GTX 980.

Regardless though... I wasn't joking about that PSU... bring me one :P