Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

People sharing ignorant FB quotes

An alarming trend that seems to just get worse year by year is people sharing a picture of a politician with an absurd quote and 99% of the time it's usually either taken out of context or in most cases completely untrue. As someone who is skeptical of these things, the first thing I think to myself is, if that person really had said this, there would be outrage all over the media, a quick Google search later and I find it's completely fake. I think link the web page (usually snopes) or video to show them they are spreading lies.

It really makes me sad how people keep spreading ignorance, this done with Republicans and Democrats, it's a non partisan issue.

Is this something common that you all see as well or am I just lucky to have some of my FB friends be completely ignorant.

In the early days of the Internet connecting everyone was a big goal, ideas would be born, grow and people would implement them and the world would be a better place.

And then we met our neighbors.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    The amount of anti-intellectualism and utter fabrications on Facebook is astounding. I rarely see anyone thinking critically about issues, just sharing memes over and over again and acting like they've done some good in the world.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    The amount of anti-intellectualism and utter fabrications on Facebook is astounding. I rarely see anyone thinking critically about issues, just sharing memes over and over again and acting like they've done some good in the world.
    What? How dare you impugn my facebook activism!
    also side note, why 30 chars now?

Deleted
    This has been quite unsettling to me lately as well, and Facebook seems to have an even worse echo chamber effect than forums like this or reddit. At least here you can frequently get a discussion out of a controversial issue, even if it's not an entirely well informed one. With Facebook, some of the anonymity is removed, and most people don't want to fight with their friends or acquaintances, so you just get a long list of people agreeing with the original post, and the people that disagree just avoid it. As hostile as some forums can be, I think there is something to be said for anonymity on the internet, as it does seem to encourage debate. Even if the debate is stupid, it's still better than just letting a stupid idea stand uncontested.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    im guessing to stop the deluge of pithy one line statements and to encourage in depth analytical debate.
    the shits.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinzx View Post
    This has been quite unsettling to me lately as well, and Facebook seems to have an even worse echo chamber effect than forums like this or reddit. At least here you can frequently get a discussion out of a controversial issue, even if it's not an entirely well informed one. With Facebook, some of the anonymity is removed, and most people don't want to fight with their friends or acquaintances, so you just get a long list of people agreeing with the original post, and the people that disagree just avoid it. As hostile as some forums can be, I think there is something to be said for anonymity on the internet, as it does seem to encourage debate. Even if the debate is stupid, it's still better than just letting a stupid idea stand uncontested.
    I do see that often, and I've seen people rage or attack other people for disagreeing. One person shared a hate-filled, completely ignorant meme about Obama and when she was called out on it, she went nuts saying that she believes what she wants to believe, fuck anyone who disagrees, and went on a big unfriending spree. I was sad to say "goodbye" since we have been friends for nearly twenty years. I can't have that kind of utter ignorance polluting my life.

I won't brook it on my feed. I investigate most of the memes, cautionary tables, glurge nonsense, and other tripe and I will be vocal about it on whoever posts it.

Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    We're not sure what's causing it yet, but we'll get it fixed.

I do see that often, and I've seen people rage or attack other people for disagreeing. One person shared a hate-filled, completely ignorant meme about Obama and when she was called out on it, she went nuts saying that she believes what she wants to believe, fuck anyone who disagrees, and went on a big unfriending spree. I was sad to say "goodbye" since we have been friends for nearly twenty years. I can't have that kind of utter ignorance polluting my life.

I won't brook it on my feed. I investigate most of the memes, cautionary tables, glurge nonsense, and other tripe and I will be vocal about it on whoever posts it.

We're not sure what's causing it yet, but we'll get it fixed.
    Ugh thats sad, it's even worse when you show someone is wrong and they still defend it lol

10+ Year Old Account
    It seems that politics in particular has become incredibly bumper sticker in picking phrases and slogans to slam the opposition that are almost always devoid of context and sometimes just outright fabrications.

From Romney's 47% content, to Obama's "You didn't build that" and Pelosi's "pass it to see what's in it" these quotes all have their place in context that really soften the perceived horrible nature of what people want to slam these folks with.

It's lazy, it's wrong, and it's not helping anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I hope you don't watch the News, cause you'd be even more pissed off over this.
    He's from US, they don't watch news, they watch FOX

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank goodness substanceless memes are banned on this site.

People bitch about the intellectual quality on MMOC all the time, but it's far and away better than the vast majority of the internet.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    An alarming trend that seems to just get worse year by year is people sharing a picture of a politician with an absurd quote and 99% of the time it's usually either taken out of context or in most cases completely untrue. As someone who is skeptical of these things, the first thing I think to myself is, if that person really had said this, there would be outrage all over the media, a quick Google search later and I find it's completely fake. I think link the web page (usually snopes) or video to show them they are spreading lies.

It really makes me sad how people keep spreading ignorance, this done with Republicans and Democrats, it's a non partisan issue.

Is this something common that you all see as well or am I just lucky to have some of my FB friends be completely ignorant.
    Hope you never attended a post secondary school. If you think facebook is bad you should see what some political professors actually believe. I had one who was convinced if you payed workers less everyone would have more money... He yelled at me when I asked how that made sense...

10+ Year Old Account
    People don't like to question statements that match their own motivations and opinions. The truth is that everyone should always check their sources, to avoid being made the fool.

Deleted
    Well Facebook was the opener into people's day to day activities, you will often find that a lot of people don't particularly care much about being critical towards themselves. Which of course, isn't a particularly new thing, and it certainly isn't helped when we have news medias that throughout time has spun stories to ludacris degrees to fit a narrative.

All in all, people are dumb and Facebook showed that

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post

Welcome to facebook and all of social media. It's especially bad with Twitter because of the character limit nearly everything is out of context

Deleted
    People actually take FB posts serious?

7+ Year Old Account
    It's certainly terrible.
    But it's even more when the quotes and "news" are about medical, or health related stuff.

Not once or twice, but more times I've seen the "Argentinian doctors found lemons cure cancer", or "This woman eated 3 avocados a day and cured her kidney disease"..
    That stuff.
    And then, friends of mine, people I know and share my life with, comenting things like: "Omg, the pharmateuticals keep hiding this for profit. I'll eat 5 lemons a day now and spot with medication.."

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    People actually take FB posts serious?
    I know, right? I use it mostly for family, but some people just post some dumb shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Thank goodness substanceless memes are banned on this site.

People bitch about the intellectual quality on MMOC all the time, but it's far and away better than the vast majority of the internet.
    This is one of the rare places on the internet where I feel people with different viewpoints can actually almost debate civilly.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

I stopped using Facebook a couple of years ago, it was too terrible to bother with.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh