Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Armory Stats - Battle Pet Collection, Tweets, Poll, Overwatch Gameplay Video

Bountiful Bounties Event, UEE Bonuses and Hotfix

Deck Spotlight: The Silver Hand, House of Discards Card Design Competition, TwitchCon

Introducing the Medic - Lt. Morales, PTR Not Starting Today

Armory Stats - Battle Pet Collection
    It Pet Battle Bonus Weekend, so we are starting by taking a look at the battle pet ownership achievement completion rate of players. Today's data is from 2.1 million players (not characters) that were active after August 1st.

You can see some of the same data to compare to last time we looked at pet battle stats, two years ago.

Keep in mind that the Safari achievements require you to collect every pet on that continent. The Raiding with Leashes achievements require collection of every pet that drops from different raid bosses. Crazy for Cats and Celestial Family require collecting specific pets.

Don't see a chart? Enable javascript!

Blue Tweets
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Mythic Dungeons don't count as dungeons for guild challenges while in a guild group? Intended?
    Not ideal, but a consequence of how the system was originally built. Challenges require queued dungeon activities (LFG) only. (WarcraftDevs)

Ghostcrawler Tweets
    Ghostcrawler still occasionally talks about WoW. Remember that he no longer works for or speaks for Blizzard.
    Originally Posted by MMO-Champion
    Except the "alternative" is always substantially less rewarding, so it will never be cared about. You can't just offer easy vs hard with the same rewards. Nobody will opt into hard "just because".

How can you be so sure? I always choose the hardest difficulty without knowing if I'll get better rewards
    The comment was specifically about group PvE content. If you offer 5 difficulty levels, all with the same rewards, and don't provide easy ways for other players to see others' accomplishments, then my experience is most players will see no point in suffering through the harder difficulties. Some will, but my expectation is that group will be small. In general, if players do more challenging content, they expect rewards appropriate for their accomplishment. Those rewards could be power based rewards, or they could just be recognition from other players.

This doesn't mean players don't like difficult content. I like difficult content. But generally in multiplayer games, players want some recognition or outright rewards that they did it the hard way. I think the mindset is just different in single player games. I play Dark Souls because I gain satisfaction over beating it. It's harder to lean on personal satisfaction in a multiplayer game where players spend a lot of brain space comparing their accomplishments to others. In multiplayer games, the social element is typically pretty massive or it wouldn't be a multiplayer game. Recognition, in my experience, is an important part of that social element.

Poll - How Many Battle Pets Do You Have?
    Please vote with the number of unique pets you have. You can get a fairly accurate count by checking the pets section of your armory profile.

Overwatch - Gameplay Footage
    Some more Overwatch gameplay video has been released, this time by a player that was able to visit Blizzard and play.

Last edited by chaud; 2015-09-25 at 05:41 PM.

Stood in the Fire Grimalkin of Old's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    inb4 "boohoo, Ghostcrawler tweets"

Percentage of Players that Captured Pets
    This graphics is bugged. '200 pets' missing and the following numbers are shifted

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    i am the 2.x%

kiss me

Quote Originally Posted by Arkentass View Post
    This graphics is bugged. '200 pets' missing and the following numbers are shifted
    There is a 150 pets and 250 pets achievement, no 200 pets one unless I missed it?

Interesting to see many people so far on the vote have over 600 pets, I'm at 735 uniques myself, it seems pet collecting is more popular (with MMO-C posters) than i thought. Me likey!
    Last edited by The Glitch; 2015-09-25 at 05:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glitch View Post
    Interesting to see many people so far on the vote have over 600 pets, I'm at 735 uniques myself, it seems pet collecting is more popular than i thought. Me likey!
    720 Unique pet personally, but remember that MMO-C isn't really representative of the playerbase.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    There is a 150 pets and 250 pets achievement, no 200 pets one unless I missed it?
    The mouseovers on the middle graph are wrong. The 1 rare pet captured mouseover says 200 pets, 10 rare pets captured mouseover says 1 rare pet and there are two columns for 50 rare pets capture, which one mouseovers at 10 rare pets captured.

Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    720 Unique pet personally, but remember that MMO-C isn't really representative of the playerbase.

Sorry I meant to say popular with posters on this site, as I see so much bashing of pet battles and pet collection, so it surprised me

also *high fives to you fellow pet lover*

10+ Year Old Account
    672! I'm part of the 2%

Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    The mouseovers on the middle graph are wrong. The 1 rare pet captured mouseover says 200 pets, 10 rare pets captured mouseover says 1 rare pet and there are two columns for 50 rare pets capture, which one mouseovers at 10 rare pets captured.
    Ah okay, fixed!

The poll data vs the armory data shows an interesting difference between the MMO-C viewers that vote in a poll, and the community at large. At the time of this post almost 29% of votes have 600+ pets, while in the greater community less than 3% have 600+ pets. Quite interesting.

That poll is incredibly suspect. It proves 1 of 3 things:
    1.) MMO-Champion skews hardcore on every aspect of the game and so opinions regarding the non-hardcore (casual) audience shouldn't be taken seriously at all. Taking opinions seriously here would be like taking the CEO of Microsoft's opinion of how to repair a car over an actual mechanic's.
    2.) People are lying just to skew the results. Or they're not reading and just picking the largest number because "bigger is better".
    3.) People that have quit before August 1st but still participated in pet battles before quitting are voting. In such a case, might be better to include options like "No longer playing" or do a separate poll for those playing versus those no longer playing. But regardless, people won't read and just vote resulting in the skewed poll.

Honestly, I'd be more inclined to believe people are lying despite it being an anonymous poll. I'd also suspect many here lean more toward the hardcore than casual audience. Wouldn't surprise me if the official forums skew generally hardcore, too.

On another note, 688 pets here with all (levelable) ones save 4 at level 25 and rare quality. So part of the 2.78% here.

I wonder how many can't differentiate between number of pets and number of unique pets

Deleted
    PEople obviously have lots of duplicates and read wrong or they lie xD 682 pets here (Unique)

What? There are only ~756 unique pets in the game and many of those are ridiculously exclusive, time consuming or RNG dependent in raids a LOT of people can't solo. Call me a skeptic that even people on this site have so many unique.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yall are lying through your teeth http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/Mazzic518/

10+ Year Old Account
    what's a unique pet? Some pet quality? does it mean i'm in the 0.02% who have none if i have never ever participated on whatever pet battles are nor leveled pets any other way?

Quote Originally Posted by Mazzic518 View Post
    Yall are lying through your teeth http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/Mazzic518/
    You are correct, I was lying, I actually have 736 uniques! My Pet Collection

lol.
    Last edited by The Glitch; 2015-09-25 at 07:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BreathTaker View Post
    what's a unique pet? Some pet quality? does it mean i'm in the 0.02% who have none if i have never ever participated on whatever pet battles are nor leveled pets any other way?
    Unique as in you only have that pet once. So if you have 3 rats, only one of them is counted as "unique".

My collection: http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/Rixis/

720 unique, 706 at max level (the other 14 can't battle). There are 6 people with "better" collections just on my server, though I am on Draenor-EU, a very populous PvE server.