Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    *sigh* he's one of those high school nerds, every high school in the US has 2 or 3 of them, who solder things like radios, clocks, etc together and bring to school to show friends. They usually go on to get careers in IT or engineering.

So what if his teacher made a mistake, so what if people want to shower him with gifts?
    The thing is he didnt even solder anything. He literally just took apart a clock assembly and put the parts in another container.

Deleted
    Are people really demonizing a completely innocuous teenager?

I smell lots of jelly in this thread.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Houyi View Post
    He is not a scammer.

The reaction has nothing to do with him, or what he did. This is entirely a backlash against racism in the police and in a certain section of American society.

Its a PR drive to push the inclusivity agenda (one which I subscribe to btw) and has nothing whatsoever to do with the kid and what he may or may not have made.
    I don't think it has anything to do with racism. It's just people & companies using an overused name in the media for cheap PR & advertisement.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    This is the same country in which other public schools have:

-Suspended a student for being in possession of a Pop Tart with bites taken out of it making it slightly resemble a gun
    -Declared pizza a vegetable
    -Completely evacuated a school because of a revolver-shaped cigarette lighter which was far too small to possibly fire any sort of (harmful) projectile

Stupid shit happens, man. Especially when racial prejudice is involved.
    Sure it was a stupid decision on her part. But for a kid to be expecting on one of those rare situations to happen to him? That's unlikely.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    He isn't a demon! He invented this beautiful clock from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    I think you're giving a teenager too much credit. School was dumb, got media attention, companies cash in for publicity. Open and shut
    Companies aren't cashing in, they are making a political statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    I smell lots of jelly in this thread.
    That's pretty much the gist of it. I was ready to let go of this story a long time ago, but the opponents on this one won't shut up.

I got an old Nintendo in my garage, tomorrow i'm going to take it apart and put the various pieces into tupper ware jars. I wonder if Google will invite me to the next Science Fair.... oh wait a minute, I'm white.

10+ Year Old Account
    this reeks of conspiracy

yes a 14 yr old knew how this would all go down

10+ Year Old Account
    Kid ran a solid scam. Should be careful though. He runs the risk of fraud.

Also, hilarious how often Obama is on the wrong side of incidents he sticks his nose into.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    this reeks of conspiracy

yes a 14 yr old knew how this would all go down
    No... this was all part of Kyle's plan! He knew this would happen!

Be careful, if that kid is capable of planning out all this at 14 he might be running the entire world someday.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    No... this was all part of Kyle's plan! He knew this would happen!
    ugh is he really giving a speech again?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    I got an old Nintendo in my garage, tomorrow i'm going to take it apart and put the various pieces into tupper ware jars. I wonder if Google will invite me to the next Science Fair.... oh wait a minute, I'm white.
    White male appropriates Japanese invention.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Planeshaper View Post
    I don't know why American conservatives like to run hit pieces on 14 year old children that were victimized by the police. But clearly they do.

ROFL - you cannot be serious? Is that what you REALLY think? If so - that is just fucking pathetic. /smh

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    Also, hilarious how often Obama is on the wrong side of incidents he sticks his nose into.
    Not really - Obama is a complete piece of shit and a complete and total fucking idiot. Not surprising at all.

Child has good things happen to him after a bad thing happened to him, probably a master criminal and con artist. Quickly, we must punish him for having good things happen to him!

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    People mostly care about superficial beauty. After some thought, I think this whole thing is overblown, but if it makes America feel good, by supporting a Muslim kid, that is a good thing, even if it is shallow.

Basically like the ice bucket challenge.
    Shallow though it might be, the awareness caused by the ice bucket challenge brought in $128 million to the ALSA and its branches. More than 5 times the amount they normally make in a year.

Now they're trying to make it an annual viral thing -- but honestly it was just one of those lightning-in-a-bottle kind of moments.

Much like the events surrounding this kid.

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    Not people. American conservative sockpuppets trying to generate outrage to fuel their hate machine. They should all be sent back to the Trump tower, and then we can build a wall around it to keep them out.

/s

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    so he took a clock out of its casing and put it in another case... preety sure I was doing that when I was 10 =_=.
    I don't whats worse the school reaction to the clock or the rest of the world reaction.
    ohwells Props to him for grabing that treat and milking it for all its worth.

Kid makes a clock(didnt invent it ,ok got that bit) brings it to school, school thinks it is a bomb , stupid ensues.
    The story so far.

Now the kid is riding a wave of "good" things.

And you are complaining this kid is taking(well whoever is at the helm of this child's life anyway) full advantage of something that was completely mishandled by nearly every adult involved?
    or
    Is it the frenzy the media(pro and social) has created around this rather ....ethnic specific moment?
    (Don't kid yourself ...it is a bit more that a little bit because the kid is of a certain ethnic group)

Surf the wave kid, it will end some day, make the most of your time....get what you can that is good out of a stupid thing.
    Go to school, learn all you can about what interests you (esp. the stuff that you can use to better the world) and keep doing what you do.

Don't let the bastards get you down.
    Last edited by enragedgorilla; 2015-09-25 at 09:54 PM.