Page 1 of 3
LastLast

What if Pokemon ended after Gen II?

You might not know this (Heck, I just learned this today), but Pokemon was originally going to end after G/S/C. Well, what if it did? How would things be different?

Realistically, Pokemon would have faded into obscurity long ago if they hadn't released any subsequent games.

Recently have been emulating LeafGreen for the GBA all week on my phone. It's wonderful.

I liked Pokemon a lot less with each generation. Many of the successive features are kinda cumbersome and/or in the way of core gameplay to an extent. Really, Pokemon ideally works when you are a just a kind rummaging the world for monsters. When the game gets away from journeying about without a care save your Pokedex- the series is a lot less compelling.

There is a fan made version of Emerald out there that I am going to give a whirl when I am done with Leaf Green. But yea, I don't care too much pass Gen III to be honest.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2015-09-26 at 11:45 AM.

I stopped being interested overall in Pokemon after Gen III, so it really wouldn't have bothered me much. II is still my favorite, but if it died then, it really would of just faded away. Yet now we're what..six gens in now? Crazy times we live in.
    "May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce"

"May the Goddess smile upon you."

"Hero", is what they've all been saying. This world, it isn't worth the saving."

10+ Year Old Account
    It would be in the same situation Earthbound is now, cult classic with an insane demand for a sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    It would be in the same situation Earthbound is now, cult classic with an insane demand for a sequel.
    Pretty much. Though the demand for continued Pokemon would have lead to terrorist attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    lol, no. Look at sales.

Earthbound was niche as hell, Pokemon was a smash hit. Pokemon actually would have insane demand for a sequel, earthbound just has a small yet very vocal fan base.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    lol, no. Look at sales.

Earthbound was niche as hell, Pokemon was a smash hit. Pokemon actually would have insane demand for a sequel, earthbound just has a small yet very vocal fan base.

but this is a hypothetical situation where from gen II to now we had NOTHING. possibly not even a Crystal.

Well, Gen II was my favorite...

But honestly still would of been really frustrating, despite whether or not I like the Pokemon is irrelevant to the Pokemon formula of the games, which I enjoy greatly.

Maybe Nintendo would be under if they had not continued making Pokemon, it's their best selling game franchise.. But it's getting a bit too Call of Duty for me, they have released the same game so many times now without pushing it further and it has become terribly old for me, I bought Pokemon X (or Y?) and the 3D was a nice novelty but it wore off pretty quickly and ultimately it's less of a game than previous offerings.

3d wasn't worth a stale stagnant repeat with less content. Pokemon Gold was my favourite, it also pushed the boundries given that they added an endgame to it, causing it to be a much bigger game than red/blue/yellow, the thing is they haven't really taken that same step forward to expand or develop the game since then.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

If they stopped with gen 2 the fan games would never have become what they are today, and thus pokemon would have faded into obscurity.
    Now it will live for ever, and the main games get more and more popular with games like Reborn, Glazed, Insurgence etc
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

It would have faded into obscurity in the same way games like Banjo-Kazooie, Bomberman and Rayman did, and would've been remembered in the same way. "Man, that game was good, I wish it would've made a sequel".

Pokemon is a game that has a format that makes me feel like it gets better and better as time goes on. Generation 6 with X/Y and OR/AS are a particular shining example of the fact that even after this long, the games are still honestly legitimately fun.
    For anyone who didn't enjoy recent Pokemon games, I really suggest you give X and Y a shot, they feel like the truest "old school" experience I've felt for a long time. Despite what many people have said, the gameplay and pokemon experience have drastically improved over the years, and Kalos was big enough to rival Gold/Silver's Johto+Kanto.
    Last edited by Irian; 2015-09-26 at 03:56 AM.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    I likely wouldn't have gotten to play it, as the rebuilt versions: Heartgold and Soulsilver are were I started with my husband.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

I was hardcore into Gen I, II, and III. I never played anything after that. I honestly replay gen 1 sometimes, the other two have little to no replay value for me for some reason. Gen II probably has the most fun potential for me, but it would take way too long to get to the point to do what I would want to do with it. I spent HOURS IV/EV grinding.

If Gen III and beyond never came out, it probably wouldn't have mattered to me at all.

My question is what would have happened if they kept the anime going the same direction it started out going the first five episodes. It was actually pretty dark, starting out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Maybe Nintendo would be under if they had not continued making Pokemon, it's their best selling game franchise.. But it's getting a bit too Call of Duty for me, they have released the same game so many times now without pushing it further and it has become terribly old for me, I bought Pokemon X (or Y?) and the 3D was a nice novelty but it wore off pretty quickly and ultimately it's less of a game than previous offerings.

3d wasn't worth a stale stagnant repeat with less content. Pokemon Gold was my favourite, it also pushed the boundries given that they added an endgame to it, causing it to be a much bigger game than red/blue/yellow, the thing is they haven't really taken that same step forward to expand or develop the game since then.
    I feel like you missed Black and White, or HeartGold and SoulSilver, or heck, even Crystal if you think they haven't gone forward since Gold and Silver.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart Maiden View Post
    I likely wouldn't have gotten to play it, as the rebuilt versions: Heartgold and Soulsilver are were I started with my husband.
    As someone who's favorite was Silver/Gold version, I can't even deny that HeartGold and SoulSilver blew the originals out of the water. Good starting point!

What would be different? We'd all be sitting here begging them to make another Pokemon game, that's what.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I feel like you missed Black and White, or HeartGold and SoulSilver, or heck, even Crystal if you think they haven't gone forward since Gold and Silver.

As someone who's favorite was Silver/Gold version, I can't even deny that HeartGold and SoulSilver blew the originals out of the water. Good starting point!
    I have, Red, Yellow, Gold, Platinum, Black, White 2 and X. I've also played Ruby/Sapphire on emulation.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    I have, Red, Yellow, Gold, Platinum, Black, White 2 and X. I've also played Ruby/Sapphire on emulation.
    They've definitely added a lot more unique things to do since then, like the Battle Tower.

While I will always praise any version of Silver and Gold, it's not really right to say it has more just because you can redo the same thing again just slightly harder (Kanto Gym Badges and Elite Four).

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd probably be satisfied with that honestly. That's about where I dropped off the Pokemon bandwagon. I bought games here and there, but rarely played them (not even to the point of beating all of the gym leaders) because it just felt like a rehashed version of the originals with a couple of extras thrown in or having the graphics reworked. Hell, I bought a 3DS (first handheld since my GBA) and Pokemon Y on a whim because I had some unexplainable urge to play it; but I think I downed four leaders before I let it catch dust?

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I'm glad that they came out, as I enjoy it very much. I have three pokemon games going right now, four if you count one through an emulator, but that one is my favorite, by far.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!