Percentage of players that collect unique pets

You may or may not have noticed the poll at front page. The first one indicates the % of dudes who collect a certain number of pets.
    Now, look at the first bar. It says 1 pet.
    Now, hover over it. (eh that sounds weird even in my mind)
    It says 99.98%.

Well, you know what that means.

There are 420 people who haven't collected a single freacking pet!
    How is that even possible? xD

Quote Originally Posted by Flabberly View Post
    You may or may not have noticed the poll at front page. The first one indicates the % of dudes who collect a certain number of pets.
    Now, look at the first bar. It says 1 pet.
    Now, hover over it. (eh that sounds weird even in my mind)
    It says 99.98%.

Well, you know what that means.

There are 420 people who haven't collected a single freacking pet!
    How is that even possible? xD
    Some of these stats are pretty damning for the overall community.

People don't pet battle, and it shows.

10 captured is 65% of the player base. 10 captured might take you outside your Capital. Which means most people aren't actually battling, or it lacks so little depth that you don't need more than 15-25 pets to see the "endgame" of Pet Battles. Which is sad.

Stats like these are the reason people complain about funding stuff and sectioning out developer time for Pet Battles, people aren't doing them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserneko View Post
    Alright, you've convinced me. You've defeated me with your superior intellect and articulate arguments. All hail Jokerfiend.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerfiend View Post
    Some of these stats are pretty damning for the overall community.

People don't pet battle, and it shows.

10 captured is 65% of the player base. 10 captured might take you outside your Capital. Which means most people aren't actually battling, or it lacks so little depth that you don't need more than 15-25 pets to see the "endgame" of Pet Battles. Which is sad.

Stats like these are the reason people complain about funding stuff and sectioning out developer time for Pet Battles, people aren't doing them.
    It's cumulative, so that 65% includes people from all of the other categories. What it means is that 35% of players have less than 10 pets.

These seems like quite a lot, but if you look at some of the other stats (IE. Half of all players have over 100 pets, and 35% have over 150 pets. Over a quarter have more than 100 captured) it actually seems that pet collecting is really popular within the community. Probably more popular than raiding lol
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    It's cumulative, so that 65% includes people from all of the other categories. What it means is that 35% of players have less than 10 pets.

These seems like quite a lot, but if you look at some of the other stats (IE. Half of all players have over 100 pets, and 35% have over 150 pets. Over a quarter have more than 100 captured) it actually seems that pet collecting is really popular within the community. Probably more popular than raiding lol
    Pet Collecting isn't popular, but basically shoved down your throat. You get Blizzard Pets, questing pets, and just plain drops from doing normal activities. You don't even have to farm for them. WoW gives you more than 10 pets from questing and what not.

Secondly, I said Pet Battles and not collecting. What I meant by that, is the system, people aren't actually battling. Less than 5% of people have Celestial Family and WoD was over due by about 5-6 months. That means endgame Pet Battles aren't worth it, or there isn't any substance to the micro game.

This is mostly a solo activity. So there isn't an excuse about other players, and management. You can say Pet Battles is world content, and even with people stir-crazy in their Garrisons, cannot break them out of it.

I just don't think that Pet Battles are bringing anything to the table, as far as a rewarding experience. Because it's looking like roughly 100,000 people are getting any use out of it. When you have 4-6 million players, you are devoting developer time and energy, away from majority.

What if you could get an extra dungeon each patch? Or raid even? Maybe a world event? Another Holiday event?
    Alright, you've convinced me. You've defeated me with your superior intellect and articulate arguments. All hail Jokerfiend.

Away from majority of what exactly? The however many millions of players who supposedly don't pet battle aren't being denied anything.

http://www.twitch.tv/hammerpairs 7/7 Mythic EN / 3/3 Mythic ToV / 10/10 Mythic NH / 9/9 Mythic ToS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBmNLMo4vcI some old school CM fun
    "Your lights will go out. The darkness will envelop you. And you will fear the shadows that move within it."

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    I just don't think that Pet Battles are bringing anything to the table, as far as a rewarding experience. Because it's looking like roughly 100,000 people are getting any use out of it. When you have 4-6 million players, you are devoting developer time and energy, away from majority.

What if you could get an extra dungeon each patch? Or raid even? Maybe a world event? Another Holiday event?
    What does Blizzard get by removing pet battles from WoW? Why would they spend time removing a system even if it's not the most popular (though 100K is still more people than some MMOs ever had)? Is the system somehow hurting other aspects of the game?

This isnt a system that's eating Blizzard's resources. They're not balancing it on a weekly, monthly, or even quarterly basis. Graves is OP and they've done nothing about it. To suggest Blizzard could drop all work on pet battles and deliver anything as in depth as a raid is ridiculous hyperbole. I would be surprised if Blizzard has spent 50 man-hours this expansion on the pet battle system. New pets need graphics, sure, but overall, non-combat pets have not and are not getting much attention from Blizzard. Look at WoD's patch notes. Added a couple more tamers, new training stones, Tanaan battles...none of this comes close to a generic world boss let alone a world event or raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyraat View Post
    What does Blizzard get by removing pet battles from WoW? Why would they spend time removing a system even if it's not the most popular (though 100K is still more people than some MMOs ever had)? Is the system somehow hurting other aspects of the game?

This isnt a system that's eating Blizzard's resources. They're not balancing it on a weekly, monthly, or even quarterly basis. Graves is OP and they've done nothing about it. To suggest Blizzard could drop all work on pet battles and deliver anything as in depth as a raid is ridiculous hyperbole. I would be surprised if Blizzard has spent 50 man-hours this expansion on the pet battle system. New pets need graphics, sure, but overall, non-combat pets have not and are not getting much attention from Blizzard. Look at WoD's patch notes. Added a couple more tamers, new training stones, Tanaan battles...none of this comes close to a generic world boss let alone a world event or raid.
    I didn't say remove the micro game, at all.

I actually didn't say anything about removing anything. I said quit devoting resources to it, that is much different. Garrisons is going to quit getting resources, and you don't seem to have a problem with that.

How long does it take to make a skin? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzz1vyg42Jw

That video is the time it takes in a rough sense. Now imagine Blizzards standards, and you can see, easily, several reskins taking so much longer. I would you need to seriously think about how much resources are exactly going in to battles and pets.

Okay first of all pets are not 'shoved down your throat'. All the drops/quest things you are talking about you could easily just delete and move on with your life. They aren't 'shoving' anything down anyone's throat.

Pretty sure they devote very little resources to it. Resources that don't even impact other parts of the game. They also have certain groups working on certain things, like one team entirely on PvP, one on Raids. They probably have like <3 people working on pets. So it's not like pets and pet battles take time away from PvP or raids.
    They just added something to an already existing part of the game and made it actually relevant.

Most of the pet models are downscaled boss/mob/NPC models or recolours of said things. (E.g. Corrupt Nest Guardian is just the Shadow Warden from Iskaar encounter, the pets from Black Temple are all just mini-boss/mobs). All they do is slap on a few abilities (usually existing abilities just with a relevant name for the pet) or a re-done skin and let them go. They rarely actually balance or test their ability combinations hence why there is certain pets like Graves that are stupidly OP. They only do something once enough people complain.

Your argument could also be argued for things like mounts and toys. Very little people have 300 mounts or 200 toys and only a small amount more have 250 mounts/150 toys. Should Blizzard stop putting resources into mounts and toys as well? I mean mount/toy collecting is pretty much the same concept that you stated as pet collecting;

"Pet Collecting isn't popular, but basically shoved down your throat. You get Blizzard Pets, questing pets, and just plain drops from doing normal activities. You don't even have to farm for them. WoW gives you more than 10 pets from questing and what not."

Mount collecting isn't really popular. It's shoved down your throat in that you have to purchase mounts from the vendor to be able to actually traverse the world at a reasonable speed. You get Blizzard Store Mounts, questing mounts (Venomhide Ravasaur, Argent Tournament, Molten Front) and just plain drops from doing normal activities (running old raids for transmog/gold/achievements/titles, rare spawns you might find while flying somewhere or questing or farming). You don't even have to farm for them (automatically get a bunch of rep vendor mounts for your faction without being exalted, e.g. Thunder Bluff Kodos if you are a Tauren, not to mention the flying mounts that require nothing but level 60). WoW gives you more than 10 mounts from pretty much being a race and being level 60.

Toy collecting isn't popular, but basically shoved down your throat. You get toys from questing (E.g. Puntable Marmot) and toys from drops doing normal activities (E.g. Simian Sphere, killing any rare in MoP/WoD, pickpocketing anything from BC+). You don't even have to farm for them. WoW gives you more than 10 toys from questing and what not.

Oh and Garrisons are a completely different concept to pets. Pets have been around every single expansion as rewards for various things. Garrisons were a one-off expansion thing as a sort of 'trial' to their concept of player-housing (that people had been asking for for years) which obviously didn't go the way they expected.

Or are you just one of those people that wants to see everything but PvE and PvP be halted and/or removed and thus kick out the 'casuals' that enjoy this game? :/

And in response to your post OP the 420 people could be very new players if they aren't specifically counting only max-levels. If it's max-levels it could be boosted 90s or people that have aimed to not own one pet at all for some reason.
    I feel like a lot of people just have no interest since the pet battle system is pretty grindy at first. You actually have to level a pet to 25 before you can buy level 25 pets. And the PvP system is awful for any newcomers seeing as people just stack stupid OP teams. Once people get past that threshold though it's a lot easier to get interested in pet battles. I was pretty pissed off at it at first but once I had enough decent pets like Anubi Idol that could carry I got more into it. Now I have like 700+ unique pets :P
    Last edited by TacoCatt; 2015-09-27 at 11:22 PM.
    Mount Count: 378. Newest addition: Arcadian War Derple
    Pet Count: 859 (678 at Max Level)
    (Last updated 21st July 2017)
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...iniegun/simple

I don't see any issues with how few people pet battle, those who do its more of an accomplishment, and its fun side content added onto the core content. It also does not take much time to just size down a model and slap it on a drop table.

I have been pet battling for a while and have every pet battle achievement but 5k pvp wins (at 3.2k) its a nice side thing to do while waiting for raids to fill up and shit. I don't see any harm in the lack of people doing it. Most of the people in my guild who said it was gay now love it after me hooking them up with a pet or 2 and showing them how to get started. I feel like some of the acheivs and pets are just too overwhelming for people to get started and thats the issue, not that its not entertaining enough.

Side thing they probably should make a tournament mode to with some sort of reward system or betting, just by doing that could make the content allot more interesting.

Titanzdeath-Korgath, 675 unique pets / 715 obtainable non real life money pets over 350 lvl 25

Pet Collecting isn't popular, but basically shoved down your throat. You get Blizzard Pets, questing pets, and just plain drops from doing normal activities. You don't even have to farm for them. WoW gives you more than 10 pets from questing and what not.
    You get a pet if you go to or Stream Blizzcon, I guess that's what you mean by "Blizzard pets"? Questing pets, let's see...according to Warcraftpets there's 65 total. Pretty decent amount, aye? But let's take a closer look:Of those, 7 are possible drops from the garrison pet battle quest "Mastering the Menagerie", if you don't pet battle, I assume you're not doing those, so that's 58. 3 are a possible reward in the pet bag from the garrison pet battles quest Critters of Draenor, if you don't pet battle, I assume you won't do that one either, so that's 55. 2 are from the pet battle daily at Darkmoon Faire, I assume you don't do those either, so that's 53. 10 are from Children's Week. Assuming you want the "For the Children" achievement as part of the "Long Strange Trip" meta-achieve, you'll have to get 1 of those but no real reason to repeat it year after year to get the others, so you're down to 44. 3 come from the "Books of Fable" pet battle quest, which you won't do if you don't pet battle, down to 41. 4 are from the Pandaren Spirit Tamers daily, you don't pet battle, so you're down to 37. One is reward for farming in turning in 999 dinosaur bones on Isle of Giants, ie, you're farming for it, since I assume you're not gonna farm bones just to get a pet, that's 36. 4 of them are possible rewards from the Shatt fishing daily, if you're not trying for those pets, I doubt you're spending a lot of days doing Shatt fishing, so that's 32. One is a DMF quest that requires you to go get a Dark Iron Ale, bring it back, and get a pet. If you're not a pet collector, I doubt you're going to make a special trip to go get an Ale for that. So I'm down to 31. Several of them are possible Holiday drops, so your chances of seeing them is directly related to how often you're willing to do the Holiday stuff, assuming you're not farming for pets, and are only going for the "Long Strange Trip" achievement, I doubt you're going to run them as often as you can, that brings it down lower. Then a few others are holiday quests that aren't required as part of the achievement, and, again, aren't likely to be done unless you're specifically going for the pet, then some require several steps you're unlikely to randomly do if you're not specifically after the pets(ie, Westfall and Robo Chickens)...I dunno man, I guess if you're a hardcore quester and try to do absolutely every quest in game or something you might wind up with that many? The players who don't go out of their way to do all the pet quests, may very well end up with less. And what do you mean drops from normal activities? Running old raids? I dunno if that really counts as a "normal" activity, pretty much everyone who does that is farming for SOMETHING, be it mounts, pets, or xmog gear. Random drops? Sure, if you happen to be questing in the small area they drop, AND you get really lucky with RNG you might get one of the Whelps or the Hyacinth Macaw I guess? Hardly something I'd say is likely or to be relied upon though. I dunno man, I just think you might be exaggerating how many pets are "shoved down your throat" in the course of normal questing and activities.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    You get a pet if you go to or Stream Blizzcon, I guess that's what you mean by "Blizzard pets"? Questing pets, let's see...according to Warcraftpets there's 65 total. Pretty decent amount, aye? But let's take a closer look:Of those, 7 are possible drops from the garrison pet battle quest "Mastering the Menagerie", if you don't pet battle, I assume you're not doing those, so that's 58. 3 are a possible reward in the pet bag from the garrison pet battles quest Critters of Draenor, if you don't pet battle, I assume you won't do that one either, so that's 55. 2 are from the pet battle daily at Darkmoon Faire, I assume you don't do those either, so that's 53. 10 are from Children's Week. Assuming you want the "For the Children" achievement as part of the "Long Strange Trip" meta-achieve, you'll have to get 1 of those but no real reason to repeat it year after year to get the others, so you're down to 44. 3 come from the "Books of Fable" pet battle quest, which you won't do if you don't pet battle, down to 41. 4 are from the Pandaren Spirit Tamers daily, you don't pet battle, so you're down to 37. One is reward for farming in turning in 999 dinosaur bones on Isle of Giants, ie, you're farming for it, since I assume you're not gonna farm bones just to get a pet, that's 36. 4 of them are possible rewards from the Shatt fishing daily, if you're not trying for those pets, I doubt you're spending a lot of days doing Shatt fishing, so that's 32. One is a DMF quest that requires you to go get a Dark Iron Ale, bring it back, and get a pet. If you're not a pet collector, I doubt you're going to make a special trip to go get an Ale for that. So I'm down to 31. Several of them are possible Holiday drops, so your chances of seeing them is directly related to how often you're willing to do the Holiday stuff, assuming you're not farming for pets, and are only going for the "Long Strange Trip" achievement, I doubt you're going to run them as often as you can, that brings it down lower. Then a few others are holiday quests that aren't required as part of the achievement, and, again, aren't likely to be done unless you're specifically going for the pet, then some require several steps you're unlikely to randomly do if you're not specifically after the pets(ie, Westfall and Robo Chickens)...I dunno man, I guess if you're a hardcore quester and try to do absolutely every quest in game or something you might wind up with that many? The players who don't go out of their way to do all the pet quests, may very well end up with less. And what do you mean drops from normal activities? Running old raids? I dunno if that really counts as a "normal" activity, pretty much everyone who does that is farming for SOMETHING, be it mounts, pets, or xmog gear. Random drops? Sure, if you happen to be questing in the small area they drop, AND you get really lucky with RNG you might get one of the Whelps or the Hyacinth Macaw I guess? Hardly something I'd say is likely or to be relied upon though. I dunno man, I just think you might be exaggerating how many pets are "shoved down your throat" in the course of normal questing and activities.
    Holy wall of text, batman.

You made a large and generalized statement in assuming I don't collect. Collecting has nothing to do with Battling. You can do a shit ton of collecting by simply playing the game without even attempting to game it. That was my point.. But if you want to type an essay on something I wasn't even talking about.. sure.....

I didn't say remove the micro game, at all.

I actually didn't say anything about removing anything. I said quit devoting resources to it, that is much different. Garrisons is going to quit getting resources, and you don't seem to have a problem with that.

How long does it take to make a skin? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzz1vyg42Jw

That video is the time it takes in a rough sense. Now imagine Blizzards standards, and you can see, easily, several reskins taking so much longer. I would you need to seriously think about how much resources are exactly going in to battles and pets.
    Skins have nothing to do with battle pets though. The actual pet battling system itself was implemented in MoP. New pets will be added regardless of pet battling. Making those new ones available for pet battles isn't much work at all. Most moves already exist or are just carbon copies of existing ones. Breeds and type are both done through templates.
    The majority of pets are still available for people that dislike pet battling. Aside from pets captured in the wild, virtually every pet can be caged and sold on the auction house.

If you're going to stop devoting resources to something just because it's "impopular" there wouldn't be much of WoW left. You could scrap challenge mode, proving grounds, mythic dungeons, mythic raiding, rated arena, rated battlegrounds, reputations, etc, etc.

Holy wall of text, batman.

You made a large and generalized statement in assuming I don't collect. Collecting has nothing to do with Battling. You can do a shit ton of collecting by simply playing the game without even attempting to game it. That was my point.. But if you want to type an essay on something I wasn't even talking about.. sure.....
    1)Collecting has a whole LOT to do with battling, since out of the almost 800 pets in game, about half of them can only be gotten through battling. Gonna be limiting your collection pretty heavily if you don't battle.
    2)Learn to read, bro? As my post JUST SPELLED OUT, actually, NO, you fucking CAN'T do "a shit ton of collecting" without attempting it. As I said, there's 65 pets you can get through questing, but that number includes ones that are rewarded for doing pet battle quests and such. When you rule out the ones that only come as rewards for doing pet battle daily quests, ones that require doing over the course of several years solely to get pets, etc, you're down to around 30. That neither "a shit ton of collecting" nor is it Blizz "shoving pets down your throat" as you claimed in your prior post.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was a dissapointing poll, where is the 700+ option xD
    • Diablo Immortal is the most misunderstood and underrated game of all time!
    • Blizzard, please, give us some end-game focused Classic servers, where you start at max level!
    • Serious Completionist: 100% OW Achievements, 100% D3 Achievements, 90% Immortal Achievements, 99% ATT Classic, ~90% ATT Retail

Quote Originally Posted by Flabberly View Post

There are 420 people who haven't collected
    Cos they are high

Deleted
    I get a lot of hate from my guildies for collecting pets

Quote Originally Posted by Maymun View Post
    I get a lot of hate from my guildies for collecting pets
    I got my guildies into it haha. The pet battle event so many of them were battling and getting achieves and stuff :P
    Mount Count: 378. Newest addition: Arcadian War Derple
    Pet Count: 859 (678 at Max Level)
    (Last updated 21st July 2017)
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...iniegun/simple

It is a whole lot easier to get people started now than when you needed to walk your guildmates through the "get a pet to 5", learn these 3 level 5 mechanicals", now catch 3 uncommon or better arcane eyes, now catch a couple of dragonbone condors (green or better), now go grind in the VoEB until one hits 25. The free to level 25 stone makes it much more of a "pick their most useful pet to make 25" and then lend them a couple of pets (or give them a couple).

Deleted
    on my server there are only 20 ppl who are really collecting