Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Can employees not talk about their wages at work? (US)

I was in a discussion today about wages at work (US), and one individual said you shouldn't talk about wages. I disagreed with him. I thought the U.S. National Labor Relations Act allowed open discussion without fear of retaliation by employers.

Am I right in this? Or is there something I am not seeing? What are peoples opinions about talking about wages?

I personally think if you are willing to share what your wage is, there's no problem. If someone who's worked longer than you makes less, then either A.) They are underperforming and should realize this, or B.) They arn't getting a fair pay and thus talking about wages is important.
    Last edited by Helgrimm; 2015-09-30 at 12:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.lexisnexis.com/legalnewsr...coworkers.aspx

(Source is a legal source)

Generally though it is seen as rude.

It's kind of tacky to do so; it's either boasting or whining.

You generally legally can. It's also generally considered gauche and people don't do it for a lot of reasons. While there's the upside of having a better idea of how to handle negotiations, there's also potential for decreased happiness resulting from knowing that the company thinks other employees are more valuable than you. Sometimes, as long as you're happy with your salary, it really can be better to just remain ignorant of your exact standing.

It's also generally a social taboo to talk about salaries.

In my job contracts, it will often forbid you from discussing wages with other employees. You can get fired for breaking your contract. But this isn't state law, it's a contract written up by some lawyer.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    The issue we had discussed was the starting wage of the new hires (where I work everyone is hired at the same rate, though it changes sometimes over time for new hires). One person thought we could get in trouble talking about it.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have worked at places where it was discouraged. Some people can be very private when it comes to their wages and even prices they have paid for some stuff. They feel it is their own business to know. Kind of like who you will vote for. Myself, I do not care if others know, but I remember getting some big bonuses at work and they wanted me to keep it private.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Helgrimm View Post
    Am I right in this? Or is there something I am not seeing? What are peoples opinions about talking about wages?
    As stated there is nothing legally preventing this but, it is considered extremely rude.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    It's kind of tacky to do so; it's either boasting or whining.
    This basically.

It always starts or ends like this

It's bad form and fairly unprofessional.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    In my job contracts, it will often forbid you from discussing wages with other employees. You can get fired for breaking your contract. But this isn't state law, it's a contract written up by some lawyer.
    If it is in violation of the regulations, it may be illegal. Likely found some loophole or a shitty lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    It's also generally a social taboo to talk about salaries.
    In the "professional" world here in the US, the above is way you won't really ever see anyone talk about it. It's a difference between blue and white collar. Part time/minimum wage jobs though it really isn't a big deal. It's all about the environment your workplace has created. I've been in both situations.

Not a good idea, but depends on the companies Policies and procedures. Some businesses will terminate employment for it

I've never had a job where it was verboten by company policy, it's just always been crass and unseemly to talk about pay at work unless you are talking to your supervisor or HR in private and your pay is the point of the conversation.

I almost feel like the unwritten rule of not talking about wage was invented by businesses to keep workers making less than they should.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

What's the point of discussing wages with other employees? Someone will always end up feeling screwed over, and (depends on his/her personality) can also end up resenting their colleagues.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    I almost feel like the unwritten rule of not talking about wage was invented by businesses to keep workers making less than they should.
    Yeah- I've worked at a company where me and a couple other people scored near perfect on performance reviews but were told there was a raise freeze in effect, come to find out several other people who didn't score as high were getting $.50 raises without fault.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    http://www.lexisnexis.com/legalnewsr...coworkers.aspx

(Source is a legal source)

This... I find it rude, if you think you're owed more ask for a raise

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    When getting screwed over don't resent colleagues, it is the company screwing you over. Its the company's interest to pay you as little as possible.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not illegal, but it is usually against company policy. Some companies will fire you over it, some won't.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.