Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    it is the company screwing you over. Its the company's interest to pay you as little as possible.
    And it's in your interest to a) be worth paying more and b) negotiate for it.

The company isn't screwing you over simply because they don't throw money at you for showing up.

That is a new generation entitlement attitude and believe me friend it will not take you far up the pay scale.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post

The company isn't screwing you over simply because they don't throw money at you for showing up.

That is a new generation entitlement attitude and believe me friend it will not take you far up the pay scale.
    It's so entitled of me to think I deserve to be paid as much as someone in the same position that I am objectively doing more work than.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Balazzar View Post
    It is considered taboo but also employers do not like it as it can encourage unionization. Unions are not well liked in USA.

It is usually a zero-sum game. Either you make more money than someone doing the same duties as you and they will be upset and depressed about why they are where they are in life. Or you will be the one feeling that way.
    The other problem I have seen from my supervisor type role is they do not want males and females discussing wages as I have seen males with less experienced with higher hourly wages then women doing the same job.

Saw a woman get hired on at $16.10 and a guy get hired on at $16.50 with less experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    yes, then when you show up to negotiate you are on equal ground with the employer, since you don't know what others make around you and you don't know what you're worth to the company. This is totally not a rigged game.

not knowing what people make hurts the employee and benefits the employer.

Yeah because that conversation is super easy.
    Because knowing what your coworkers make, will make that conversations super easy

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Because knowing what your coworkers make, will make that conversations super easy
    Will make it easier as you have an actual figure you know the company is will to pay a higher wage for a comparable employee.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    http://www.lexisnexis.com/legalnewsr...coworkers.aspx

(Source is a legal source)

Generally though it is seen as rude.
    True but as a child i have seen that silly, is like people will feel bad because "John or Maria gain more than me" or "YAY i gain more than John or Maria!" in both case, is pretty stupid

Will make it easier as you have an actual figure you know the company is will to pay a higher wage for a comparable employee.
    And how awkward would it be when your boss tells you the reason your coworker makes more than you because they are a better worker. Now you're full of animosity and have a hostile work environment, you're jealous of your co worker

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    It's not illegal, but it is usually against company policy. Some companies will fire you over it, some won't.
    I'm pretty sure that's Illegal, a company can not fire you for something so silly

And how awkward would it be when your boss tells you the reason your coworker makes more than you because they are a better worker
    You never have to say you know how much your coworker makes, but once you know you know that the company is willing to pay at least that much more for someone in the same position.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Deleted
    dont think its law here, but its generally seen as rude, unless you're talking to a close friend at work or something, you shouldn't just go around discussing wage with random people at your work. I use to discuss mine a lot at work with other people, but it was a large company so wages were mostly standard across the board.

10+ Year Old Account
    And how awkward would it be when your boss tells you the reason your coworker makes more than you because they are a better worker. Now you're full of animosity and have a hostile work environment, you're jealous of your co worker
    Well... that may happen, or it may not happen, it depends a lot....

In the end, is better for you when you know what is your worth for the company

Quote Originally Posted by Maxilian View Post
    Well... that may happen, or it may not happen, it depends a lot....

In the end, is better for you when you know what is your worth for the company
    And there plenty of tools out there to see what someone of your profession should be making based on where you live

In US culture, it's rude to ask someone how much they make.

In a work environment, regardless of country, some policies forbid sharing wage information. IMO this practice should be outlawed to ensure fair pay for all employees.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Here in Australia it's not illegal but it's almost always done by someone whinging they get paid fuck all or someone bragging about how much they get. It's never anything else and people will either think the person is being a cunt either way. I've never talked about the rate I'm on because it's enough or I wouldn't do it.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphie View Post
    In US culture, it's rude to ask someone how much they make.

In a work environment, regardless of country, some policies forbid sharing wage information. IMO this practice should be outlawed to ensure fair pay for all employees.
    It is outlawed for most workers in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    The other problem I have seen from my supervisor type role is they do not want males and females discussing wages as I have seen males with less experienced with higher hourly wages then women doing the same job.

Saw a woman get hired on at $16.10 and a guy get hired on at $16.50 with less experience.
    How do you know the guy didnt negotiate for a better wage?

10+ Year Old Account
    I almost feel like the unwritten rule of not talking about wage was invented by businesses to keep workers making less than they should.
    Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

Communication vital to the "free market" the US corporate community claims to love - yet the last thing businesses want is their wageslaves employees to have a free market for their skills, knowledge, and talents. (Something similar has happened in the housing market since the crash, where there's been a strong but quiet push from banks touting the idea of walking away from an underwater mortgage as "immoral" or "unethical"; yet those same banks have no problem doing the same thing when they have bad debts - look at Trump for an example of 'constructive bankruptcy' by the executive class).
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    How do you know the guy didnt negotiate for a better wage?
    Then that's a problem somebody just asking for more money can get it even if they don't deserve it.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    It is outlawed for most workers in the US.
    No, it isn't. Discussing wages with your co-workers is explicitly legal, as Genn pointed out on the first page of the thread (here's his link again: http://www.lexisnexis.com/legalnewsr...coworkers.aspx ). Attempting to prevent workers from discussing their wages is what's outlawed, much as the C-levels hate the idea and try to discourage it.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)