Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account

Boomkin Heroic Archi Help

Tonight was the first night my team and I started working on Heroic Archi we've had him down in normal for a little while now.

I think I'm over casting moonfire/sunfire a bit and maybe not standing still enough. I try and dot all the dogs but would it be better to cast starfire/wrath on them and forget the dots?

We are not a hardcore guild, more casual but I'd like to optimize my play the best I can. Thanks in advance for anyone who check out our logs and leaves some feedback.

Armory http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...venom/advanced

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...TBphM#fight=12
    Our heroic wipes ignore the first wipe

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...wFTjM3#fight=3
    Our Normal kill

Dont really have time to look at logs right now but can throw out some tips

1) DoT up all but first Deathcaller (It will die quickly enough with leg ring)
    2) Second CDS should come up early in P2. Save them and pool starsurges for when the quickest set of dogs after they come up spawns. (Note: WHen your guilds DPS gets better you wont be able to pop in P2 and have them up for P3 lust)
    3) Yeah, dot up the dogs, its almost always worth unless your raid runs like 3 hunters and 4 dks. Dot the Overfiends too, and keep dotting the deathcallers. Dots.
    - Kind of an off-note about dotting is that I am reasonably sure that your Shooting Stars procs off of your latest dot application, so make sure to be refreshing on archimonde when you're off dotting a lot so that the target doesnt die and you have a lower proc rate. (Not positive this is actually a thing, just something I've got in the habit of)
    4) Try to maintain starfall when waves of dogs come out.
    5) In P3 Faire Swarm can be really nice on the living shadows
    6) Throwing a starsuge or 2 into Living shadows can be nice, but they're a hunter job. After 3 starsurges got cancelled at like 2s because the mob died i stopped really touching them. That was 2 months ago. Im bitter okay.
    7) Your 3rd cds should come up around 25% with the first Rain of Chaos. In my group its not worth dotting infernals but I imagine it would be in yours. Just keep up starfall and target different ones.
    8) Uh, Fairie swarm also works on the void stars inside
    9) I like to mention this whenever i help someone. The trick to being a better boomkin is to cast. Work at planning your movement to get the maximum number of possible casts off.

GL

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you so much!

Dot all the things! got it

I didn't even think about farie swarm on the shadows I will for sure start doing that, our hunters are sometimes good at killing them and other times my RL is yelling because they are not dead/slowed so I think that will be a big help. I don't ever get the chance for a cast to hit them either nerf hunters!

Movement is something I need to work on, sometimes I find myself off in BFE when I need to be elsewhere. I'm always on the nether banish team so I try to park myself near ish where that will be but that doesn't always work out, sometimes I can't reach the adds.

Quote Originally Posted by Albimoo View Post
    - Kind of an off-note about dotting is that I am reasonably sure that your Shooting Stars procs off of your latest dot application, so make sure to be refreshing on archimonde when you're off dotting a lot so that the target doesnt die and you have a lower proc rate. (Not positive this is actually a thing, just something I've got in the habit of)
    Not a thing. Leave your dots where they are. DPS loss

Also dots are all well and good but they are a test of your own judgement in your current situation and sometimes they may not be worth it. "The trick to being a better boomkins is to cast" is spot on as those casts have guaranteed damage per execute time. What I mean by this is you spend 2 seconds casting starfire and you get its full damage. No questions asked. However spending 8 globals dotting 4 dogs is replacing 4 starfires. Are those dots and what time they'll have to tick worth it over those starfires? You be the judge of that in your current situation. On the other hand 1 global on cleave sunfire catching 2-3 dogs is worth the damage per execute time. I'm sure you get the jist of what i'm saying as i've probably explained it in the worst possible way.

I personally (but only cause of my raid comp) try to catch them with a cleave sunfire, but otherwise ignore them and let starfall do the work. Those hardcast starfires into the boss almost always net me more damage.

DPS is simply live math.
    Last edited by Loganess; 2015-10-08 at 03:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Albimoo View Post
    It was a problem at 6.0 but was fixed early on, it will proc from the previous dots now if you dot something new and it dies.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaustos View Post
    It was a problem at 6.0 but was fixed early on, it will proc from the previous dots now if you dot something new and it dies.
    Appears I never kept up with the times. I stand corrected! The rest applies nonetheless

However spending 8 globals dotting 4 dogs is replacing 4 starfires.
    Sunfire often dots multiple targets

Quote Originally Posted by Seikusa View Post
    And would be during solar which causes you to lose less effective dps just because of wrath.

Quote Originally Posted by Seikusa View Post
    Yes, did you read the rest of the paragraph? I obviously know that. It was the extremist example where dogs are spread in such way that sunfire won't cleave to highlight my point; whether dots are worth it over hardcasts when requiring extensive execute time

I went on to say that a cleave sunfire on 2-3 dogs will be worth it
    Last edited by Loganess; 2015-10-11 at 11:50 PM.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks everyone! I'm still trying to better my play-style so this helps. I'm going to try getting more hardcasts off on the dogs for my group I think the dots help but the live math explanation makes a lot of sense. So far our best attempt has been 5% on him so hoping with a few more tweaks we get him down this week

Quote Originally Posted by Kaustos View Post
    Source? Never seen a change, as far as I'm concerned it's still off your last dot. Would be nice to see some info on that.

Quote Originally Posted by randytaylor View Post
    Source? Never seen a change, as far as I'm concerned it's still off your last dot. Would be nice to see some info on that.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/165...y-17-2-17-2015 or
    http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/3...s-february-17/

Scroll down to Dec 10th hotfixes:
    Shooting Stars should no longer fail to trigger if the most recent target of Moonfire or Sunfire dies.

There's your source. Is is still off your most recent dot. Therefore if your most recent target dies (and no longer has dots) it falls back to the next most recent dot. reapplication is unnecessary.
    Last edited by Keiyra; 2015-10-16 at 06:12 PM.