Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Getting a Kickstarter award is not all it's cracked up to be either. A lot will go to taxes, your promises to donors cost a lot more than you'd think and so does shipping, etc.

But Kickstarter has brought us a lot of things we wouldn't otherwise have.

Kickstarter just became a "benefits corporation".

Benefit Corporations are different. Benefit Corporations are for-profit companies that are obligated to consider the impact of their decisions on society, not only shareholders. Radically, positive impact on society becomes part of a Benefit Corporation’s legally defined goals.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Doobner View Post
    The point isn't about what the guy ultimately did with the money, the point was about idiots donating over $55,000 to a random guy who didn't need it and was asking for $10 as a joke.
    It may have started as a joke but as soon as he realized he could do some good he changed gears and announced I t. Technically he became a medium for people to do something good. They donated to the poor who were in need. Not the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    It may have started as a joke but as soon as he realized he could do some good he changed gears and announced I t. Technically he became a medium for people to do something good. They donated to the poor who were in need. Not the guy.
    No, they donated to the guy so that they could be part of some big internet joke. They had no idea what he would eventually do with the money, especially considering Kickstarter rules forbid beneficiaries from directly donating the money to charity.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're going to support a business expansion, then try things like crowdcube where you get equity in the company.

No, they donated to the guy so that they could be part of some big internet joke. They had no idea what he would eventually do with the money, especially considering Kickstarter rules forbid beneficiaries from directly donating the money to charity.
    And why exactly is that such a bad thing? I could easily see myself spending $10 on a chuckle. It doesn't really change my financial situation. Have 2500 other people say the same thing and boom, now someone has a lot of money. Nobody is really being taken advantage of (in your scenario, however, scams do exist).

So again, where is the harm? Why is it a bad thing? How am I or anyone else being harmed if I contribute to a $50,000 baked potato.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    And why exactly is that such a bad thing? I could easily see myself spending $10 on a chuckle. It doesn't really change my financial situation. Have 2500 other people say the same thing and boom, now someone has a lot of money. Nobody is really being taken advantage of (in your scenario, however, scams do exist).

So again, where is the harm? Why is it a bad thing? How am I or anyone else being harmed if I contribute to a $50,000 baked potato.
    You have the right to do whatever you want with your money, just like I have the right to think it's moronic for someone to give away money as a joke to a complete stranger who doesn't need it, instead of spending that money on themselves/family/friends, or donating it to someone who really is in need of it.

You have the right to do whatever you want with your money, just like I have the right to think it's moronic for someone to give away money as a joke to a complete stranger who doesn't need it, instead of spending that money on themselves/family/friends, or donating it to someone who really is in need of it.
    That's just it though, if I spend the money on a ridiculous kickstarter, that makes me happy, thus I AM spending the money on myself. Is it a silly expenditure? lol, oh absolutely, but we all waste money on stupid things.

So I get it, you may think it's stupid, and I may think it's stupid that you spend $10 a week on gourmet bubble gum, but in the end neither one is inherently bad.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!