Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karrotlord View Post
    It is interesting how the far left is becoming more and more like the far right as time passes. But authoritarian is authoritarian, that same tactics work for both ends of the spectrum, I guess.
    Extremes shares extreme tactics... It's common amongst extremes, not even confined to political spectrum... A nerdy example is a reaction that inevitably happens when a Hearthstone card changes. Most don't care or don't vocalize their angst. But, the extreme will rant on any forum they can that Blizzard is killing the game. That's because extremes are pretty much fanboys...

Reminds me of that not-quite-GG thread not long ago. I tried to keep it civil and those types came in and got it locked.
    The fucking self proclaimed conservatives, who are actually just republicans, piss me off to no end. They give such a horrible impression of what conservative are, while in many cases defending ideology that's authoritarian or corporatist instead of conservative. They justify my view that I should never claim to be any ideology, because if at some point I have a bad day and act like them, my ideology would be viewed in the same negative light.

It's like the guy cutting you off on the road with a political bumper sticker. I bet your opinion of that political point will be hindered by their action, without actually having anything to do with the political point.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    The fucking self proclaimed conservatives, who are actually just republicans, piss me off to no end. They give such a horrible impression of what conservative are, while in many cases defending ideology that's authoritarian or corporatist instead of conservative. They justify my view that I should never claim to be any ideology, because if at some point I have a bad day and act like them, my ideology would be viewed in the same negative light.
    I used to consider myself a hardcore Democrat but as my political awareness grew I'm at the point of abandoning political parties altogether. They warp ideology around their own standards and preservation.

It's like the guy cutting you off on the road with a political bumper sticker. I bet your opinion of that political point will be hindered by their action, without actually having anything to do with the political point.
    Oh absolutely. I very much like social justice but the way they go about it just boils my blood. There are many less hypocritical, less extreme, and more effective ways to do things.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fengosa View Post
    I don't buy this argument on left authoritarianism. If you look at issues like gay rights and healthcare reform they've accomplished progress through changing public opinion and then challenging unjust laws through the courts. This is essentially democracy in action. Hell, if anything they've been fighting authoritarianism.
    Totally different levels here. I'm very much on the left end of the spectrum on most things, including gay rights and healthcare. But I'm more moderate and can't stand extremists. I understand it may be necessary sometime, such as with healthcare as interests are so entrenched, but sparingly. To much shock, a healthy society doesn't make.

What specifically about BL M makes them worth labeling outside of the fact you disagree with them?
    "what do we want? dead cops. when do we want it? now"
    "Pigs in a blanket fry them like bacon"
    do i need to say more
    Its not what a SJW protest that makes them SJWs it is how they go about doing so
    Last edited by Vyxn; 2015-10-10 at 02:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't buy this argument on left authoritarianism. If you look at issues like gay rights and healthcare reform they've accomplished progress through changing public opinion and then challenging unjust laws through the courts. This is essentially democracy in action. Hell, if anything they've been fighting authoritarianism.
    The reactionaries will always cry authoritarianism whenever something changes to the better for others than themselves.

No need for constant SCREW SOCIAL JUSTICE/SUPPORT SOCIAL JUSTICE threads in my opinion as someone who is pretty antiSJW. Would be better to just have some kind of megathread for that stuff or whatever.

As for the claim that "SJWs are just a boogeyman that don't exist" and "radical feminists are just a minority with no power.".

I'll start believing - nay, caring about that when I stop seeing radical ideologies somehow (magically, I suppose! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯) infest their way into universities (actually -- rule them in that situation), court cases and public services. (cough manspreading cough)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yirrah View Post
    The reactionaries will always cry authoritarianism whenever something changes to the better for others than themselves.
    I think the deaths of Freddie Gray and Eric Garner are tragedies that need answering. I think the GOP is leading a war on women, capped by recently trying to defund Planned Parenthood. I understand, but there are ways to go about things without acting just like the extremists you oppose.

No. I live in a state of the USA where a ton of whites under the banner of BlackLivesMatter laid down on a major interstate highway for several hours (think 5 lanes of traffic heading into the state's foremost metropolis blocked by bodies). The same mostly whites also did other protests in the name of BlackLivesMatter elsewhere. The police usually facilitate it by stopping traffic, etc.

But I mean in every day conversations with people? No, not really. Incredibly conservative blowhards and religious zealots at the bar will run their mouths about politics to everyone. For more left wing folks, they tend to be reserved.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    It's real life too, I work with a self proclaimed sjw / feminist. Literally everybody wanuts her to just quit.

She's the single most toxic person in a building of 3000

- - - Updated - - -

Id rather just take the manslaughter charge for running over them inconvenient protests make me root for the other guy regardless of the cause
    You want to kill people because they are inconveniencing you, and you think your CO-WORKER is "the single most toxic person in a building of 3000"?

Oh, the irony.

10+ Year Old Account
    Theres quite alot of them at universities,
    Young people -> naive people/ dreamers, seeing injustice and thinking they can change it.
    As they grow up however and experience reality, they gradually come over to the side of reason and realize their naive ideals are fairy tales.
    Always been like this, we have just branded them with diffrent names through the decades.
    Everything from bohemians to hippies they all fight against some precived injustice.
    But what they fail to grasp is that the world has never been and never will be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Yirrah View Post
    You want to kill people because they are inconveniencing you, and you think your CO-WORKER is "the single most toxic person in a building of 3000"?

Oh, the irony.
    Oh people inconvenience me all the time and I don't want to kill them, but the way I see it if you lay down in the middle of a highway, that's basically euthanasia. They're really asking for it.

I guarantee I'm not even close to the only one to consider it when they come across protesters blocking the streets.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

It is a perennial truth of politics that the only liberties a reactionary cares about is their liberty to oppress and their liberty to exploit someone else, and that they will whine like stuck pigs about "tyranny" and "dictatorship" as soon as law and social convention prohibits them from exercising these liberties. One always follows the other, as the night does the day.

What you're listening to is a bully whining about being scolded for being a bully. End of story.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been making a scarecrow for an art project. Maybe I should ask for help since so many here love making strawmen...