Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    I'm assuming the Swedes I'm assuming are also saying they have rights to the same land yes?
    Sure, but the sami aren't exactly financially well off, which is why it was recommended that they receive economical support to help them defend their claims.

Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    Yeah that is inferior victimhood uncompareable to the superior victims in the US.

Their suffering or peril is henceforth irrelevant and didn't really happen it too wasn't really "that bad".

Discrimination can only follow the skin color axis Light -> Black
    My cultural anglocentrism requires that.
    Uh huh since it can only follow skin color that must be why I spent so much time talking about racism within China because of differing ethnicities.

Your arguments are so fucking weak man. I mean they're not even arguments are they, it's just random fodder to get a riled up response, snore snore snore dear.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lilla Blomma View Post
    Sure, but the sami aren't exactly financially well off, which is why it was recommended that they receive economical support to help them defend their claims.
    Why are the Swedes claiming the land? Is it because of the land claims in the past?

Deleted
    Why are the Swedes claiming the land? Is it because of the land claims in the past?
    Because they can. If the Swedish government hadn't banned their indigenous rights the swedes wouldn't have any claims to make. The land would be the samis.

Because they can. If the Swedish government hadn't banned their indigenous rights the swedes wouldn't have any claims to make. The land would be the samis.
    So we're still dealing with old claims and old issues, yes?

Deleted
    So we're still dealing with old claims and old issues, yes?
    Not sure how it's old claims and old issues when it's happening in the present.

Not sure how it's old claims and old issues when it's happening in the present.
    It's happening in the present because what Sweden did in the past though.

Deleted
    It's happening in the present because what Sweden did in the past though.
    But that could be said about everything that happens now, that the past influences the present.

But that could be said about everything that happens now, that the past influences the present.
    How do the Swedish people feel about this?

Deleted
    How do the Swedish people feel about this?
    Depends on where people live. In the communities local to the areas where the sami people are, they are discriminated against. In school, in the labor market, in contact with authorities etc. Here in southern Sweden people generally, at least from my experience, don't care much about them, most not knowing much about the situation at all.

The sami people have also accused the government of having what they called "dual agendas", one for foreign people who are minorities in Sweden and one for indigenous people, due to the foreign people who are minorities having more rights than they do and that the swedish government claims to fight against oppression of minorities but seemingly doesn't care about the sami peoples plights. They're not allowed having a say in decisions that concerns them either, unlike the other 4 national minorities(Jews, sweden finns, romani & tornedalians).

Have things gotten better in the recent past years? Sure, but there's still a long way to go in regards to the sami people. In Finland they're not even recognized as indigenous people, something Sweden has done at least.
    Last edited by mmocfb6c003936; 2015-10-09 at 03:18 AM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    unique, but mostly can be ignored.

To some extent.