Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    Yeah, that's what everyone tries to tell me. You've basically just described a big sandbox where nothing you do matters and progression is meaningless.

I had a ton of fun at D3's launch because, well, Inferno was insanely difficult. I remember spending hours on some of the harder bosses. I remember how accomplished I felt when I finally killed Diablo. Killing bosses on Inferno actually meant something! Beating the game automatically confirmed that you were a better player than most of the rest of the players. It was one of the most rewarding game clears I've had...

... and then they nerfed everything across the board, removing almost all of the difficulty, and removing any sense of accomplishment from the game. I quit shortly after this, because, again, it became all about the grind. All of the awesomeness of clearing a challenging game was gone and I was stuck doing Act 3 runs in the hopes of getting a decent piece of gear. Then they did a bunch of stuff, after I quit, that didn't really change the experience. Then they released the expansion and gave us the rift and, later, grift sandbox experience.

So, Diablo 3 went from an awesomely challenging experience to an easy grindfest, to a variable difficulty grindfest, to a generic grindfest. For a very short while there, the game was fun because there was an element of overcoming challenges... and then they killed that and turned it into what every other game in the genre is. You're right -- once they made that change, I stopped being the target audience. They could add any number of relatively simple concepts into the game (Boss Rush, for instance) that could easily fit into the game format and would lure players like me back, but they refuse. They simply keep doing more of the same: They make a handful of skill/gear changes every patch and that seems to be all the playerbase cares about.

I look forward to the day when the genre dies out or evolves into something more than a grindfest.
    I understand the burnoit that comes with this style of game, but if you think about what you just said your point kind of falls flat. (Won't get into the "you must have been a RMAH player" argument.). When you first got into Inferno back in classic there's no way you had found the gear to have went all the way through the Acts up to and defeating Diablo on that first entry. You would have had to grinded to find the gear needed to get thru the lvl and beat Diablo, which most likely did not come super quickly. Then when you finally rounded up the gear, you made it to the last boss and defeat him, which was a great feeling of accomplishment. That's the way many people feel right now when it comes to pushing up higher and higher into greater rifts....search for getter gear/builds to go further, rinse repeat... Yes it is obviously grindy, but so was your conquest to beat Inferno Diablo...

At least you probably spent a lot of time in the game that it was worth the $$ you paid. Again, probably more so than other games that can be beaten in 10 hours. Spending $60 on a game I beat that quickly, without replayability, sucksssss in my opinion. Yes WoW gets more expansions and stuff but those also cost $40+ each time....at least D3 gets some new stuff free of charge now and again...

10+ Year Old Account
    I had a ton of fun at D3's launch because, well, Inferno was insanely difficult. I remember spending hours on some of the harder bosses. I remember how accomplished I felt when I finally killed Diablo. Killing bosses on Inferno actually meant something! Beating the game automatically confirmed that you were a richer player than most of the rest of the players.
    Fixed your statement to reflect reality, since you seem to be forgetting the fact that drop rates were ridiculously awful and the RMAH was around back then. If you actually try to defend that as "skill" I'm going to laugh myself out of here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aarro View Post
    Clearly this guy has never played D1 or D2......
    Or ANY game in the same genre as the Diablo series.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

The fact that it's a Dev talk gives me hope they are going to announce something.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quite disappointed that there will be no new xpac for D3.

Diablo 2 felt like it had alot more variety. Especially since it was hard to do alot of content "well" depending on your class build. ~15 difficulties for the same shit doesnt make the game fun.

And yes I know diablo 2 had ALOT of flaws, but it seemed to me like diablo 3 fixed some and then made alot more....

They never announce that they're going to announce an expansion.

That said, I'm not really expecting another D3 expansion. The game should just die, imo, and then they can make another one that isn't 100% repetition over and over again. Or, you know, they can make another game in that vein and I won't even bother with it this time. I honestly don't understand how people can enjoy playing the exact same content over and over again without any chance of it changing. I mean, at least with WoW we get new raids every so often. With D3, we've received, oh, two or three very rare zones that barely offer anything different from the rest of the game. The rest of the content is just rifting over and over again.

I'm fine with a grind if it gets me something useful, but I'm not interested in grinding for the sake of grinding... which is exactly what Diablo 3 has been since it released. Even with the additional act, class, and the few other new things that the expansion has brought, the core gameplay is still just a massive grind and the only new content that the core audience seems to care about is new gear. I don't understand how a game designed around such obvious repetition has managed to keep an active playerbase.

Every WoW expansion ends with forums full of people bitching about doing the same raid over and over again for nearly a year before the next expansion hits. Diablo 3, however, somehow gets a pass on this. How much fun would it be if you were still farming Icecrown Citadel in the hopes that you might get a drop and it might have slightly better stats than the copy of that drop that you already have? Because that's exactly what every Diablo 3 player has been doing since release.

Sorry, I had to vent. I played a ton of Diablo 3 at launch and again when the expansion launched. Then, one day, I realized that I'd been grinding simply for the sake of grinding -- the game experience hadn't changed in any meaningful way. The genre has felt like a gigantic rip-off ever since. I legitimately hope that D3 doesn't get another expansion unless they can actually make it about something other than grinding.
    TL;DR: Guy doesn't understand not every game is fitted to his needs. Probably doesn't understand why people drink beverages he doesn't like, or watch movies he doesn't like.

Quote Originally Posted by Oozlz View Post
    Diablo 2 felt like it had alot more variety. Especially since it was hard to do alot of content "well" depending on your class build. ~15 difficulties for the same shit doesnt make the game fun.

And yes I know diablo 2 had ALOT of flaws, but it seemed to me like diablo 3 fixed some and then made alot more....
    Wut? D2's hell was quite easy that's why many builds saw some success. Tons of build are viable in D3 if you are doing T6.

15+ Year Old Account
    Belloc made a good point about killing a particular enemy not feeling rewarding anymore.

In D1 and D2, you actually felt awesome for killing a boss for the first time.

In D3, nowadays, you don't care about the first 200 Diablos you kill, unless they give you that one awesome item you're looking for.
    Why did you create a new thread? Use the search function and post in existing threads!
    Why did you necro a thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Oozlz View Post

Diablo 2s end game was much, much easier than Diablo 3s 'true' end game, which is pushing grifts. T5-T7 is on par with D2s end game. You can do grift 40 without the use of any sets, which are the things that 'bottleneck' you into a specific build. GRIFT 40 is t9 I believe.

Just for barb alone, builds able to do t6 would be:

frenzy belt build with bastions revered
    hota barb
    ww wastes
    rend ww
    seismic IK
    leapquake

and pretty much every other spell combination imaginable. You can't really compare D3s end game to D2s end game. If D2 had difficulty scaling on par with D3, there would be 1 or 2 builds per class that worked and most classes would probably be shit, just like with D3. Its just the nature of scaling so high you literally can't survive a single hit.

Right now the games end game is being crudely held up by supp monks, like some life support machine. Grift 70 would be barely possible for most comps without a supp monk, yet with supp monk we're able to go to 85+. Which is more than quadrople the HP and damage of grift 70.

There also other aspects to end game, like farming mats or keys. Like right now I use a DH to farm bounties and keys / rifts, then do grifts solo as barb and grift group as carnevil / hota / suppmonk.

I really do not agree that D3 has less variety than D2. Probably just skewed by the fact that D2 had another class.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nurvus View Post
    Belloc made a good point about killing a particular enemy not feeling rewarding anymore.

In D1 and D2, you actually felt awesome for killing a boss for the first time.

In D3, nowadays, you don't care about the first 200 Diablos you kill, unless they give you that one awesome item you're looking for.
    Bolded the important part..

I don't know about you, but killing bosses back on release felt awesome.

Killing butcher in d2 for the 200th time didnt feel awesome either.

No expansion is sad, but in the end if there's still new content to be announced i will be happy.

HOWEVER.

1 hour only through all Blizzcon? Well, this is going to be so bad - all Blizzcon will be about WoW:Legion which they have already announced.

Tbh, i don't think it's final. Even last year when there was basically nothing to discuss about, i remember that there were like 3 different panels with discussion and Q&A sessions. Relegating D3 in a single 1 hour through all Blizzcon is a REALLy bad move, until they're investing all marketing efforts to bring back up WoW after the WoD results.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

As I look more carefully at the schedule...there does appear to be a few holes, particularly in day 2, that could potentially be filled at a later date. For one thing, as the main page notes, the engineering panel isn't on the schedule. So, it's possible another Diablo Panel could be coming.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

They never announce that they're going to announce an expansion.

That said, I'm not really expecting another D3 expansion. The game should just die, imo.....
    Cool post stopped reading it after that, A second expansion is honestly a no brainer for them. The 3 major patches in RoS where all great patches they can get 40 more bucks on a box sale just developing a few new things and class with a 6th act.

I think its going to happen for sure weather or not its announced at blizzcon is up in the air my gut says we get the announcement but even if its just patch content then I will still be excited Reaper of Souls is the best value for my money in a long time from Blizzard the game is in a VERY good spot its fun and satisfying, one more new class and a new act with some more features would be so great the game seriously just keeps on getting better with big steps, and it has been 100% worth playing since 2.0

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, that's what everyone tries to tell me. You've basically just described a big sandbox where nothing you do matters and progression is meaningless.

I had a ton of fun at D3's launch because, well, Inferno was insanely difficult. I remember spending hours on some of the harder bosses. I remember how accomplished I felt when I finally killed Diablo. Killing bosses on Inferno actually meant something! Beating the game automatically confirmed that you were a better player than most of the rest of the players. It was one of the most rewarding game clears I've had...

... and then they nerfed everything across the board, removing almost all of the difficulty, and removing any sense of accomplishment from the game. I quit shortly after this, because, again, it became all about the grind. All of the awesomeness of clearing a challenging game was gone and I was stuck doing Act 3 runs in the hopes of getting a decent piece of gear. Then they did a bunch of stuff, after I quit, that didn't really change the experience. Then they released the expansion and gave us the rift and, later, grift sandbox experience.

So, Diablo 3 went from an awesomely challenging experience to an easy grindfest, to a variable difficulty grindfest, to a generic grindfest. For a very short while there, the game was fun because there was an element of overcoming challenges... and then they killed that and turned it into what every other game in the genre is. You're right -- once they made that change, I stopped being the target audience. They could add any number of relatively simple concepts into the game (Boss Rush, for instance) that could easily fit into the game format and would lure players like me back, but they refuse. They simply keep doing more of the same: They make a handful of skill/gear changes every patch and that seems to be all the playerbase cares about.

I look forward to the day when the genre dies out or evolves into something more than a grindfest.
    Errr... High level GRIFTS are harder than Inferno ever was. I literally beat inferno by spamming 4 buttons on my keyboard with 1 of the 6 broken builds.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    Wut? D2's hell was quite easy that's why many builds saw some success. Tons of build are viable in D3 if you are doing T6.
    D2 was easy in a certain sense. There are people that can do it all with a naked character. But, it's still a hard game where if you mess up you're gonna die with the best gear.

D2, at the start, had very few actual builds that were viable. But, with patches and time, the game progressively became easier and more and more buffs to certain skills that made more builds viable. Many people forget that the game is very old. If people jumped into the game five or so years ago, it will obviously think that it's far better than D3. But, it took years to get that way.

D3 has many limitations that I hope get better over time. With patch 2.3 I see the game becoming far better than anything D2 would, or could, have ever been.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    Errr... High level GRIFTS are harder than Inferno ever was. I literally beat inferno by spamming 4 buttons on my keyboard with 1 of the 6 broken builds.
    The gear makes a huge difference. The game was obviously harder to get geared back in classic, so many people didn't even get the chance to do all of inferno. I was able to barely beat inferno as a solo DH player before they changed the difficulty set up. Inferno was the hardest thing I've played in years(speaks volumes of the quality of games today...).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Deleted
    D2 had a lot of viable builds because there was a limit to how hard the game could be

D3 have Grifts meaning that the game will always have a harder difficulty, it means only the best of the best builds is viable for getting very far
    but you can build MANY builds that can do torment 10

anyway, i'm rly dissapointed with only 1 hour of dev talk, was expecting something big with how incredible well Diablo 3 is doing right now, by far one of the best games on the market atm

10+ Year Old Account
    I was hoping Druids were gunna get introduced in a new expansion too, can still hope!!!
    Battletag(US): Bradski#11752
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What do you call a tsundere Wookie? Chew-b-b-baka

Pretty sad that there's only 1 hour for D3 at Blizzcon. I mean, even if there's no expansion, there should atleast be some 2.4 news (granted that it's probably gonna be a somewhat smaller patch), since S4 will have been going for quite some time by then and the holiday season isn't too far off.

Deleted
    either im stupid or blizzard, if they dont announce a expansion this time like why would people stay, the game is good atm but we need new zones for rifts, new monster new weaepons and armor, takes some gameplay for poe and let us craft our own maps like poe. could be hella fun, think they tried it in a small scale when they did the cow and goblin rifts for rings, and a new class would be so dope, we can get the argument that well they can tease an expansion at pax or gamescon later next year, but that means atleast 2-3 more season of same shit, just whit 5-6 new legendarys. imo new skills would also be fun. and pls just announce a microstansction shop ingame so they can make more money and possible devote a little more time and efort to create new content like the horadric cube. Imo the reason alot of people have stayed this far is that they hoped a new expansion was on the horizon and they thought hell might get back into it know when a new expansion are possible coming, but whitout it, now i think a lot of people will leave for the carrot for them was a new expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Treeskee View Post
    I was hoping Druids were gunna get introduced in a new expansion too, can still hope!!!
    Necromancer and Assassin first plz