Thread: Better music?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Better music?

So I recently went to a wedding and they played music from the 80s.. Everyone knew the music and singing aload

I.e.: livin on a prayer

Created the year I was born.. How come music these days are rarely played at wedding.. Has music gone that down hill?
    I mean it's not music you walk down the aisle to but Muskie you are dancing to on the floor.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nomorepriest View Post
    So I recently went to a wedding and they played music from the 80s.. Everyone knew the music and singing aload

Created the year I was born.. How come music these days are rarely played at wedding.. Has music gone that down hill?
    I mean it's not music you walk down the aisle to but Muskie you are dancing to on the floor.
    Wedding songs are usually older songs. Tied to tradition.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh?

https://youtu.be/9ptaXjYhW7I?t=131

And generally because older music is played at weddings because it feels more comfortable and because lots of old people. You didn't have music written in the 80's being played for weddings in the 80's.

Their is still good music still being made. Its possible that it will stand the test of time.

10+ Year Old Account
    My brother and his now wife played Stolen by Dashboard Confessional during the ceremony.

I think people are just too traditional. I know I'll be playing some current tunes if (not gonna happen) I ever get married.

There are fewer cultural touchstones to music than there used to be. Traditional radio listeners are thinning out and modern radio listeners can be very specific about what they want to hear and what they do not with the onset of digital collections and niche digital radio stations. There just isn't the same kind of collective musical taste, for better and for worse.

At weddings you want songs that people know and will dance to. It is easier for a room of various age groups to all enjoy some older songs then nothing but new ones. Last wedding I was at they went through and played the songs all the other married couples danced to at their wedding, so many song by default had to be from the 70s or older.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    if i ever get married i'm playing harvester of sorrow by metallica. either that or the lament of the highborne no wait that's my funeral song. second song would be the ashenvale theme.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account

Yes, music has gone down hill, has been since the 60s.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    i'm sure you mean since the 90's. the 70's and 80's saw some of the best rock/metal bands of all time.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    i'm sure you mean since the 90's. the 70's and 80's saw some of the best rock/metal bands of all time.
    I have to agree. As a kid of the 90's I'm absolutely not fond of most things from that time, especially what made it into the mainstream. Usually kids relate to the music of their youth, I just think it was embarrassing (with a few exceptions obviously).

Edit: Dang it, my 6kth post was about music of the 90's.. what a shame.

People like music from their teens. For many their teen years are their best years. Also they've bonded to the products they'll stick with for the rest of their lives.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    You mean Popular Music, of course. There was some absolute trash in the 60s. In the 70s, 80, etc as well. With that said there is a metric shit ton of great music being made in those decades as well.

I've noticed when people talk about bad music, or say things like "music today sucks" they are referring to pop music.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

How come music these days are rarely played at wedding.
    Go to more weddings. Modern music is played. Depending on the DJ or MC, they might try to pick songs that are more inclusive to a wide age range.

I went to a wedding a few months ago where the DJ played Fetty Wap. It was great.

Has music gone that down hill?
    Subjective. People are easily biased, however. So media one associates with their youth, pleasant times or idealized notions tend to have a greater importance in one's mind.

Why do people get married? Why can't two people who live together just be together without a ring and a ceremony? Why can't that be enough? Then if they decide to call a quits they don't even have to discuss "Divorce."

Seems to me like the whole marriage thing comes from Religious tradition and for the tax benefits.

I always have a blast when listening to 80s songs. Everyone just can sing along.

But nah, it's not better music. The shitty ones from the 80s are just forgotten, just like today's trash will be forgotten in 20 years and you will only remember the good songs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because everybody can enjoy 80s music. And the 80s had just as much shit as today people just don't remember it. And I've been to weddings where today's music was played. It's all about age.

Quote Originally Posted by Moslin View Post
    Why do people get married? Why can't two people who live together just be together without a ring and a ceremony? Why can't that be enough? Then if they decide to call a quits they don't even have to discuss "Divorce."

Seems to me like the whole marriage thing comes from Religious tradition and for the tax benefits.
    Because they want to for reasons that are their own.

Next easily answered question.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

They play the GOOD music from the 80s.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    People like music from their teens. For many their teen years are their best years. Also they've bonded to the products they'll stick with for the rest of their lives.
    I don't. I was born '88, and think pretty much all of my favourite music was made in the past 10 years.