Page 1 of 182
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

2016-2017 NBA Thread

Time for a new thread. I'm sure there will be some groans (I'm looking at you Blue) but I figured it was time for a new one so here we go.

My pics for division winners is looking like this.

East:
    Atlantic- Raptors (Net's might be better this year but IDK).
    Central- Cav's (of course)
    Southeast- Hawk's (But I think Wizards will give them a run for their money)

West:
    Pacific- GS (Clippers don't have what it takes to catch up to them this year either)
    Southwest- Spurs (Because I'm a Spurs fan oh and they usually win the southwest or come second)
    Northwest- Thunder (I want to see how Westbrook like's being the no.2 guy instead of the no.1

I'm picking the Spurs to win the West because of the off season transactions and they are my team. Picking the Cavs for the East because the East is weak and they are the best out of that division. Of course I'm taking the Spurs to win the trophy but it wouldn't surprise me if GS wins either.
    Last edited by Skarsguard; 2015-10-12 at 12:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skarsguard View Post
    Time for a new thread. I'm sure there will be some groans (I'm looking at you Blue)
    *moans and groans*

Link to 2014-15 thread.

Link to 2011-2014 thread.

*yawns* We still got like 20 days til games matter. I haven't been following a thing so maybe I'll get back in the swing of things soon.

Funnest thing to know is the distribution of prime time NBA games per team. (Like which teams get the most games aired on national TV.) I'll have to check for that l8ah

Link to NBA Playoff Predictions for this thread.

2017 spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...olM/edit#gid=0
    Last edited by Blueobelisk; 2017-06-13 at 03:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll join in for this season, because sometimes, as much as I love Mark Cuban's antics, some of the shit he pulls with constructing and deconstructing the Mavericks is just...UGH.

I also want to see the Thunder continue to lose and lose and lose and never win a championship because I will NEVER forgive their owner! and Kevin Durrant deserves better. Going from Seattle to OKC has to to suck.

Im not just a football person :x

10+ Year Old Account
    Does Utah still suck? Yes? Ok, see you next year.

Gotta be honest and say that I usually start caring about the NBA right around June, but I'm interested in two things this season: whether it's Kobe's last season, and whether Lebron can finally win it all for Cleveland.

Also, if I never have to see Curry's ugly, annoying little kid again that'd be great.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

You know I only just now realized that with Derrick growing up on the South Side, it's unexpected for his son to be wearing Cubbie blue. We'll take em all though, atta boy PJ!

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually like the kids. I feel the questions after the game are stale, over asked bunk most of the time. The kids help make it interesting.

The season actually starts on the 27th if I did the math correctly. I didn't think it started before October 31st.

Cleveland vs. Chicago 8 PM TNT.
    Pelicans vs. GSW afterward TNT.

Actually I can't just say "afterward" anymore because I'll be busy at school at those times. It's reasonable that I can watch the second game but not the first. (For those late night times.)

Of course Cleveland gets primetime. I haven't read reports so idk how they're gonna gel. I don't even know if KLove is still on the team or how Kyrie's health is lol. Chicago getting a slot is pretty gracious. I think this is the last year you guys should try before blowing up and trying to reassemble the roster. Which isn't to say the team isn't good or competitive, but as you guys said, you're either first or you're last.

GSW playing is good. I wonder if they'll get many prime time games this season since they're popular. I don't think they can "bring it" and get to 65+ wins this season too. I think 62 is reasonable. I actually don't think they can be as pro as they did last season.

Pelicans getting the nod is...I do wanna see more of Anthony Davis...I just hope the whole team is okay.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh I found out info about the National TV Game distribution.

The national TV schedule can ultimately change as the NBA flexes matchups into prime time, but as things stand now the two teams fans around the country will be seeing most frequently are the Cleveland Cavaliers and defending champion Golden State Warriors. Both teams will appear on ESPN, ABC and TNT a total of 25 times. The Clippers and Thunder will each play 24 nationally-televised games, while the Bulls will play 23, the Spurs 21 and the Lakers 19. The Pelicans and Anthony Davis will play 13 games on national TV.
    Source: http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/8/12/9145275/nba-schedule-2015-16-national-television-abc-espn

- - - Updated - - -

That seems pretty good. Knicks and Lakers are low (I think they were like fucking 33 and 31 last year or the year before). GSW/Cleveland excellent choices. Thunder too I hope if KD and Westbrook are healthy. Clippers are entertaining. Bulls I hope are good. Thibs is gone right? I wonder how you guys will do since it seems everyone will take it easy. Spurs 21 is good. Pelicans getting 13 is a decent amount.

Good job cable companies, those are the good teams.

Altering my standings guess, and all star selections..
    WEST:
    Warriors (Curry/K.Thompson)
    Spurs (Aldridge)
    Rockets (Harden/Howard)
    Clippers (Paul/Griffin)
    Thunder (Durant/Westbrook)
    Grizzlies
    Pelicans (A.Davis)
    Kings (Cousins)
    Suns
    Jazz
    Mavericks
    Timberwolves
    Nuggets
    Lakers (Bryant)
    Trailblazers (Stoudamire)

EAST:
    Cav’s (James/Irving)
    Hawks (Horford/Milsap//Teague)
    Bulls (Butler/P.Gasol)
    Wizards (Wall)
    Heat (Wade)
    Bucks
    Raptors (Lowry)
    Celtics
    Pistons (Drummond)
    Pacers (P.George)
    Nets
    Magic
    Hornets
    Knicks (Anthony)
    76ers
    Last edited by fixit; 2015-10-14 at 06:03 PM.

Quote from the article:

CHICAGO—Noting that the charitable gesture has done wonders for his general mood and energy levels, officials from the NBA Cares program confirmed that several members of the Chicago Bulls made a surprise visit to a local hospital Wednesday to spend time with Derrick Rose. “The look on Derrick’s face when Joakim Noah and Jimmy Butler walked into his hospital room and gave him a couple of high-fives—you could just tell it meant the world to him,” said program spokesperson Liz Ventura, explaining that numerous players have taken trips to the hospital to sign autographs and take pictures with Rose, often staying with him for over an hour. “The poor guy has been stuck in that bed for such a long time, so having the Bulls come by and play some NBA 2K16 with him is absolutely the highlight of his week. Pau Gasol has actually visited a couple of times, and Derrick still never wants to take off the jersey he gave him. The best part is that afterwards, he’s so much more upbeat about his treatment. It’s really a blessing.” Ventura noted, however, that several doctors have privately asked Bulls players to avoid getting Rose’s hopes up by assuring him he will make a full recovery.
    Doesn't seem that weird for teammates to visit each other. They prob going there being like "yo n_gga. This might be the last time I see you since rumor round the office is they gonn' trade yo' ass before tip off. I just want you to know, I'm gunning for yo share of the new salary cap that'll be left over when you leave. lolz"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fixit View Post
    WEST:
    Warriors (Curry/K.Thompson) Okay sure they can be #1 again.
    Spurs (Aldridge) Idk how Spurs will mesh with a legit superstar. I'd be safe with them in top 4.
    Rockets (Harden/Howard) I see health issues so I'd actually slot them at #5. I do think they should mesh well by now.
    Clippers (Paul/Griffin) Always the bridesmaid but never the bride. Sure, they can be in top 4. They could be #2 for all I care. They still ain't winnin'
    Thunder (Durant/Westbrook) I'd actually put them higher. But you never know with health since 2 guys carry the team.
    Grizzlies
    Pelicans (A.Davis) Did the team even get better?
    Kings (Cousins)
    Suns
    Jazz
    Mavericks I think Mavs will pull through to get------ oh wait didn't DJ and Rondo fuck them? Nvm.
    Timberwolves
    Nuggets
    Lakers (Bryant)
    Trailblazers (Stoudamire) Stoudemire over Lillard for All Star? Poor kid.

EAST:
    Cav’s (James/Irving) #1 is fine for them.
    Hawks (Horford/Milsap//Teague) Idk if they'll do as well as last season.
    Bulls (Butler/P.Gasol) I don't think they'll try as hard every single night to get to #3 without Thibs. But lol that Rose isn't All Star pick.
    Wizards (Wall) Kay.
    Heat (Wade) ??? No. Slot 5? No. Slot 7 or 8? Okay.
    Bucks
    Raptors (Lowry)
    Celtics
    Pistons (Drummond)
    Pacers (P.George)
    Nets
    Magic
    Hornets
    Knicks (Anthony)
    76ers
    asdfgqwert

Do the Bucks still suck? Yes? Then see ya next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Northy View Post
    Do the Bucks still suck? Yes? Then see ya next year.
    Bucks are actually pretty good assortment of young players with upside.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    OKC Thunder winning it all.

*Drops MIC*

10+ Year Old Account
    Nba season starts tomorrow.
    Doesn't seem to be a lot of excitement about it this year.
    These are the games.

DET vs ATL
    8:00 PM ET

These are the 2 games on TnT tomorrow.
    CLE vs CHI
    8:00 PM ET

NOP vs GSW
    10:30 PM ET

That's right El Plastico! Tonight's the big night. Opening game.

I actually have a test tonight so I can't even dick around and watch on my phone during class. I don't get home til ~10. So I'll prob just watch the end.

LeBron about to put in that work tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    98-94 Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by fixit View Post

Trailblazers (Stoudamire)
    Damian Lillard? Or is it the early 2000's again? Although Damon Stoudamire was never an All Star.

Hey speaking of championship parades, won't GS get their rings tonight? I wonder if it'll look cool.

Wow pretty accurate Stommped.

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't see a close up of the rings yet. They look alright. Taking kinda long.