10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third

Nexon and NCsoft part ways

http://massivelyop.com/2015/10/16/ne...oft-part-ways/

After a turbulent partnership, MMO companies Nexon and NCsoft have finally parted ways.

Nexon sold its 15.08% of shares back to NCsoft today, ending the two companies’ intertwined and sometimes hostile relationship. The sale of 3.37 million shares amounted to a whopping $533 million and was managed by Morgan Stanley. NCsoft Chief Executive Kim Taek-jin bought 440,000 of those shares personally, raising his stake in the company to 12%.

Nexon first bought into NCsoft back in 2012, looking to forge a beneficial synergy between the two companies. However, the association quickly turned sour as Nexon began exerting demands on NCsoft that the latter resisted, a move that was followed by NCsoft purchasing Netmarble stock as a plan to resist a hostile takeover from Nexon. Tensions between the companies have been frosty ever since.
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

Deleted
    Does anyone know how much they paid for NCSoft originally?

10+ Year Old Account
    Does this mean pay to win Maplestory will finally go away?

Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    Does this mean pay to win Maplestory will finally go away?
    Maplestory is owned by Nexon, so this won't affect that product in any way.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Deleted
    Both companies have produced their fair-share of shit games. From NCsofts terrible launch of wildstar to Nexons..well everything they release is shit. Dirty bomb isn't even out of beta and it's had its community destroyed because they refuse to do anything about hackers. Even the upcoming releases of some of their games, B&S (which has been unofficially playable for a very long time) isn't that good. I really don't see anything changing here. Both will continue to put out crap.

This is very good news for the NCSoft games that I play (WS and GW2). Nexon pioneered the P2W model and I have been dreading them pushing that down our throats.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    This is very good news for the NCSoft games that I play (WS and GW2). Nexon pioneered the P2W model and I have been dreading them pushing that down our throats.
    I wouldn't really say GW2 is a NCsoft game. Sure it's published by them but if NCsoft had more of a say, GW2 would not be the way it is now. It's not even listed on their site. It's only got a few news articles listed.

Quote Originally Posted by Moosie View Post
    Both companies have produced their fair-share of shit games.
    Was about to say the same thing. GW2 is really the only decent game that had either of their names attached to it. Nexon still somehow makes stupid money off of Mabinogi and Maple Story, so they'll be just fine. I'll still never forgive them for dropping the ball on Vindictus.

NCSoft still has its line-up of almost-good MMOs, but I'm wondering if or how their monetization is going to change. Big budget MMOs are expensive to run.

I wouldn't really say GW2 is a NCsoft game. Sure it's published by them but if NCsoft had more of a say, GW2 would not be the way it is now. It's not even listed on their site. It's only got a few news articles listed.
    NCSoft have as much say as they want over Arenanet and GW2. It just suits them to take a back seat. That's one of the things Nexon was complaining about when they tried the hostile takeover. They wanted to have more control over the games in the stable "to better protect shareholders’ rights".

Deleted
    Ages ago on the gw2 forums, when there were rants about Nexon (& anet..) making the game pay2win, someone from anet stated that NCSoft didn`t have control of the game, because they only publish it & not make it.

Quite sure NCSoft do, but as others have said, they perhaps just sit back & enjoy the cash flow.

NCSoft isn't the publisher of GW2 anymore. They own ArenaNet but all they do is basically get the profits out of it.

ArenaNet is a wholly owned subsidiary of NCsoft. NCsoft can have as much or as little of a say as they want in it, but have chosen to give ArenaNet (and all their Western studios) a high level of autonomy.

GW2 not being listed on their site was a conscious branding move on the part of ArenaNet/NCsoft given ArenaNet's better reputation and the fact that they do not use NCsoft's account systems, but rather their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    NCSoft isn't the publisher of GW2 anymore. They own ArenaNet but all they do is basically get the profits out of it.
    And provide the funding for additional projects when ArenaNet need it. Remember, NCsoft largely footed the bill for GW2 and I don't doubt contributed a good chunk of the money for HoT development.

This won't improve NCsoft's quality any.

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    This won't improve NCsoft's quality any.
    It's not about improving the quality, it's about stopping P2W from getting into all NCSoft games.