Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Looking for a new MMO to get into.

Hey guys. Picked up WoW again and after 10 years, I don't think it's the game that has turned me off, but the community itself. One of the main reasons why I loved WoW (and prior to WoW, Runescape) was the social aspect. I liked getting away from the world, logging in, and having some social connections. I am not here to argue about if it's in WoW or not (I firmly believe it is not). I am just looking for a game that maybe has that old school SOCIAL WoW feeling (not necessarily gameplay). A game with a good population that is not dead, not too grindy? A game that was like WoW before server transfers and group finders?

10+ Year Old Account
    you could play GW2 or rift or wildstar, heck there are a lot of mmo's right now that are available for f2p players, or you could go FFXIV too

The best f2p games (in terms of less intrusive stuff for non buyers) would be guild wars 2 (new expansion coming up next week) and wildstar (which got a lot of changes on the f2p release, quite a smooth game tbh).
    Last edited by barackopala; 2015-10-16 at 01:06 AM.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

Everyone thinks their community is the best when in reality it isn't. Most games are F2P now so play them for a week or so and form your own opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    SWTOR has a group finder, but its not cross server, so everyone you get is on your server. Its about to get a major update as well next week.

how is SWTOR? I've been wanting to play a star wars game. Battlefront beta definitely did not fix that for me tho.

10+ Year Old Account
    as a f2p game is mediocre compared to rift or wildstar, if you're considering being a sub then its a considerably good singleplayer experience from kotor and a formulaic theme park mmo, if you want to still love wow then it's the one to go to
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

if you want endgame stay the fuck away from GW2

EDIT: I missed this
    not too grindy?
    - disregard post

Oldschool Runescape is the balls;

okay stop laughing.

RS has just always had a charm for me and I feel anyone who considers themselves a serious gamer can appreciate the subtle nuance of the original grind sim...
    And importantly, the restart has some really cool non-linear development from how RS went... a lot of new content in osrs echoes rs3 but there's a lot of new development as well

anyways the OSRS community is alive and strong after almost 3 years, full of douchebags and weirdos; the devs are deeply in-tune with the community and all "changes" to the july 2007 servers have been polled at a 75% pass rate making for a healthy blend of nostalgaccuracy and new direction.

I should digress however the key problems if you even managed to make it past the first mention of runescape without skipping the post,

the modern gaming trend of hyper-efficiency and min/maxxing has crushed a lot of the "nostalgia" spirit of the restart, you can't just be a noob
    and the small hyper-dedicated community has the classic RS problem x100: when you start playing at 0xp, some of us have hundreds of millions: and since everything from the games economy to it's experience levels and quest gating is exponential, that's quite the turn-off - Ironman (solo) mode is an interesting approach to solving that problem though, only really works if you played the game previously however.
    Last edited by tobzhax; 2015-10-16 at 04:02 AM.
    "Hacker:... an aficionado of computers - someone who enjoys making computers do new things, or do old things in a new and clever way." - H. S. Warren, JR "Hacker's Delight"
    "The process of preparing programs for a digital computer is especially attractive, ... it can be an aesthetic experience much like composing poetry or music." - Donald E. Knuth "The Art of Computer Programming"

Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    Yup.

If you want a WoW-like game with community, I'd suggest FFXIV.

10+ Year Old Account
    Raids are coming tho, gotta check how well they did this thing, i dont really have high hopes for it compared to wildstar tho.

Hah! Good luck. In order to find an MMO with those qualifications, I'm afraid you're going to need a time machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Nostalgic View Post
    Yup.

If you want a WoW-like game with community, I'd suggest FFXIV.
    Was gonna say FFXIV is probably going to be the closest options. GW2 is a good choice as well.

FFXIV if you like slower combat pace, really an immersive game. If you're looking for quick action combat, Guild Wars 2 and Wildstar will be right up your alley.

Honestly all three games are top notch.

I find it strange that people keep saying this. I haven't levelled a new character in GW2 for a couple of years yet I log in everyday.

But people say no endgame content? With constant new content updates and a huge amount of things to do. I have never had nothing to do in GW2.

I guess some people just associate endgame with raids. But next week we get those to, so...
    "you can't be serious!!" - yes actually I am.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    Raids are coming tho, gotta check how well they did this thing, i dont really have high hopes for it compared to wildstar tho.
    wasn't guild wars 2 supposed to have started implementing more raids like a year or 2 ago? i remember them talking about it then. they still havent done it?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    Only reason why i'd say nay to FFARR XIV is that you have to do all the content story lines up to current inorder to do heavensward content >.> only reason why i stopped playing it really.
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    wasn't guild wars 2 supposed to have started implementing more raids like a year or 2 ago? i remember them talking about it then. they still havent done it?
    No, raids were shown really late into the expansion announcements, around what... 3 months ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Hellravager View Post
    Only reason why i'd say nay to FFARR XIV is that you have to do all the content story lines up to current inorder to do heavensward content >.> only reason why i stopped playing it really.
    And some people actually like that. When doing a comparison with WoW, the story in WoW basically ends with each expansion and a new story starts. WoD had a tie-in with MoP, and apparently Legion will tie into WoD (dunno completely on the last part as I'm no longer playing), but even then it felt more like different stories written by different people, just set in the same story universe. Basically the story never really mattered and you could jump in at the start of a new expansion and not really feel like you missed anything too important.

FFXIV by comparison has a single main story that flows from the beginning of the game all the way up to and into the expansion. The story is slow at times during the leveling process up to 50, but the overall story (yes, that you have to complete before moving into the expansion) is actually pretty awesome. And it completely sets up WHY everything in the expansion is happening. It's not just "Hey! New baddies appeared over there. Go kill 'em and take their magic rocks. I'll make you a shiny magic ring if you do!!" followed by "Hey! New baddies appeared over there. Go kill 'em and take their magic scrolls. I'll make your shiny magic ring even shinier if you do!!"
    There's also class and job quests for EVERYTHING - even crafters and gatherers - each of which has it's own in depth stories. There's political intrigue, betrayals, lots of morally gray areas where you actually understand WHY the bad guys are doing what they're doing and can potentially sympathize, even some straight up bad guys who just want to blow stuff up. There's also optional side quests you can do that also have those things, and one optional quest chain that's nothing but intentionally goofy comedy.
    Basically it has all the RPG elements that WoW removed, and still has good game play to boot. In all fairness, that game play is very slow at the beginning and with the longer GCD than WoW it feels doubly so. But given time, you'll likely get used to it. And once you get multiple OGCD skills, you'll probably realize how much you like that longer GCD.
    It does have some grindiness, but most of that is optional. Gathering and crafting both come to mind, as well as the 2.x relic quest line. The upcoming 3.x relic quest line will likely be fairly grindy too, but again - completely optional.

As far as the social element is concerned, that's going to vary based on server, FC (guild), etc. Try to find a social FC as well as a social LS (Linkshell) - basically persistent player created chat channels that can be set up specifically for any purpose, including raiding, crafting/gathering, Hunt marks (rarespawn monsters that appear out in the world) or even just talking about whatever. Because much chat is hidden in FC chat and LS chat, sometimes the city-wide and zone-wide chat channels may seem empty.
    Don't be afraid to tell people you are new to basically anything. Well, other than current end game content. The game will do that anyway, because when you run a dungeon for the first time, everyone gets a pop-up letting them know that at least one person is new. Most people are willing to give you a quick run down of boss abilities. The other players are actually incentivized to help new players complete stuff along the way with greater than normal rewards.

In case you can't tell, I enjoy the game immensely and the only thing I really miss from WoW is playing with friend from my different raid groups. Of course, some of them only played to raid, so I know they wouldn't move over.

Give it a shot, take your time and enjoy yourself and enjoy the ride.

My favorite thing about FFXIV is that playing Black Mage is playing a caster the way God intended.

Seriously though, FFXIV's story is pretty good, but damn the cutscenes get out of hand sometimes. There shouldn't be cutscenes in the middle of dungeons, especially some of the longer ones that pop up towards the end of the first main storyline.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are so many to choose from these days and so many are f2p that I would suggest trying them all. Myself I'm enjoying Wildstar a lot more this time but it may not be your cup of tea.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.