Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    I really don't see why people object to a tax on people who don't have health insurance. Taxpayers PAY FOR THESE PEOPLE ALREADY. You cannot turn away people at an ER so people without health insurance dump their costs into the system which people who have health insurance have to pay for. So this is just attempting to balance out that equation, which people who have any semblance of understanding of the healthcare system should support.
    That's not always true. I've gone to the ER without insurance before. I paid my bills. I'm sure some people do that, but I wasn't one.

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    Maybe we should just get with the rest of the modern world and adopt some universal health coverage. Get rid of insurance companies and fines all together.
    This. Despite my contempt for the left in general, this needs to happen for both healthcare and college. What we have now is pathetic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dren The Black View Post
    That's not always true. I've gone to the ER without insurance before. I paid my bills. I'm sure some people do that, but I wasn't one.
    Then you didn't go for something serious that required hospitalization.

The pattern that tends to happen to poor folks who don't have insurance:
    1) Illness happens.
    2) Doctor visit is avoided because of lack of ability to afford it.
    3) Medication is avoided because of lack of ability to afford it.
    4) Illness worsens to the point where ER is necessary.
    5) Illness is so advanced hospitalization and sometimes surgery is required -- resulting in 7 digit hospital bills.
    6) Bankruptcy is declared as there is literally no chance of paying that off in their lifetime.
    7) Costs are dumped into the hospital, who is forced to recoup them elsewhere.

Either people need to be forced to have insurance, or ERs need to be allowed to turn people away if costs are going to be lowered.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dren The Black View Post
    Actually, it's more like coercion rather than taxation. This it the first time I've ever seen a "breathing tax".
    It isn't a "breathing tax". It's a tax for not having private health insurance and making over a certain amount of income. It's a form of income tax, essentially.

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    This. Despite my contempt for the left in general, this needs to happen for both healthcare and college. What we have now is pathetic.
    Nah man its like the metric system, fuck doing that its so much simpler and better, cant have something unamerican being useful.

Either people need to be forced to have insurance, or ERs need to be allowed to turn people away if costs are going to be lowered.
    Yeah we're forced to have insurance, much shittier insurance, we would have been better off with universal healthcare. The only people who benefited from obamacare are McDonald workers who have the state pay a majority of their insurance cost, mean while everyone else's insurance gets worse and have to pay more

Health insurance companies, love OBamacare, forcing people to have insurance and letting them charge them more because you are required to have it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Yeah we're forced to have insurance, much shittier insurance, we would have been better off with universal healthcare. The only people who benefited from obamacare are McDonald workers who have the state pay a majority of their insurance cost, mean while everyone else's insurance gets worse and have to pay more

Health insurance companies, love OBamacare, forcing people to have insurance and letting them charge them more because you are required to have it.
    You make a good argument for more government controlled care, clearly you agree that private companies can't run healthcare without it being a cut-throat business.

So if anything obamacare did not go far enough

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by want my Slimjim View Post
    The only role a government has is protecting the rights and liberties of peoples freedoms, not controlling what people do with their money and what they buy. LOL
    This is incorrect. The US Constitution explicitly gives the federal government the right to regulate interstate commerce.

Then you didn't go for something serious that required hospitalization.

The pattern that tends to happen to poor folks who don't have insurance:
    1) Illness happens.
    2) Doctor visit is avoided because of lack of ability to afford it.
    3) Medication is avoided because of lack of ability to afford it.
    4) Illness worsens to the point where ER is necessary.
    5) Illness is so advanced hospitalization and sometimes surgery is required -- resulting in 7 digit hospital bills.
    6) Bankruptcy is declared as there is literally no chance of paying that off in their lifetime.
    7) Costs are dumped into the hospital, who is forced to recoup them elsewhere.

Mmmm.... a concussion and 8 staples in my scalp. Nah, i could have rubbed dirt in it and walked that off, right?

And while we're at it, people need to be forced to adhere to Christianity because of the morals, right? that should solve all the problems with crime and what not. I'm being facetious here, but my point is who are you to force someone to do ANYTHING if they are not harming you?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It isn't a "breathing tax". It's a tax for not having private health insurance and making over a certain amount of income. It's a form of income tax, essentially.
    Then call it an "income tax" instead of claiming it isn't a tax for 2 years before you pass the damn law.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    You make a good argument for more government controlled care, clearly you agree that private companies can't run healthcare without it being a cut-throat business.

The reason why insurance companies are making a killing is because they have all these new healthy customers who are forced to give them money when they have no need of health care other than basic checkups or rare emergencies.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fengosa View Post
    This is incorrect. The US Constitution explicitly gives the federal government the right to regulate interstate commerce.
    True, but it does not give the government the right to sponsor a business or force the citizens to buy into an industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    So he went from paying $4800/year to $2344. A fee he knew was going to be coming if he didnt have insurance. Not really seeing the outrage.
    Not to mention he was $400 (rounded up fro $398 for easy math) which was $4800 for the year. He was complaining about having to pay $1,400 a month (which would be $16,800. So him complaining about a $2,344 fee that was well known before he got this letter is just is dumb. Not to mention when you file your taxes it even asks if you had healthcare and if not there would be a fee.

The only role a government has is protecting the rights and liberties of peoples freedoms, not controlling what people do with their money and what they buy. LOL
    People like you is the reason why we have worse healthcare then some 3rd world nations.

If ur going to post something provide an unbias sorce.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2015-10-16 at 05:59 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post

Under the current system it isn't, there is no free market to lower prices when its mandatory and an oligopoly

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Under the current system it isn't, there is no free market to lower prices when its mandatory and an oligopoly
    Pre Obamacare : Can only buy from insurance companies in your state, who collude to fix prices.
    Post Obamacare : You can buy insurance from out of state insurers.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    People like you is the reason why we have worse healthcare then some 3rd world nations.

If ur going to post something provide an unbias sorce.
    When America stops paying out trillions of dollars to every country in the world and stops subsidizing 99% of the world's military and protection, we can start bringing all that wealth we re-distribute and actually use it for ourselves.

15+ Year Old Account
    http://www.thefederalistpapers.org/u...s-him-big-time

A man in Indiana posted a fine from the IRS because his family didn’t have health insurance.
    Why didn’t he have health insurance? Under Obamacare his premiums rose from $398 per month to $1,400 per month and he couldn't afford it.
    Wait until you see how much his fine is! These notices are just now going out and this image is going viral we need to abolish the irs and the idiotic healthcare spending, just a waste of taxpayer dollars.
    So.. we're going to pay for government with girl scout cookie sales I take it?
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    Obama is had a lot on his plate and still had time to go out and hand out the fines. What a guy!
    Isn't it funny how conservatives cry all day long about how he has "done nothing" on the one hand while whimpering that he is responsible for every single thing that they don't like on the other.

It's almost like they're intellectually stunted, willfully ignorant low-information voters...

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Pre Obamacare : Can only buy from insurance companies in your state, who collude to fix prices.
    Post Obamacare : You can buy insurance from out of state insurers.
    Yep. The man's health insurance tripled because he had no clue how to shop around.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Redistribution of wealth via wage theft and forcing people to buy a thing they don't want all while calling it affordable which it clearly isn't.

Of course the typical responses of "hes rich so he should pay more" and "got a better source" litter the article and bait the topic off track.

You people were told it wouldn't raise costs, you believed it and came to this forum in droves yelling at the rest of us about how uninformed we were.

Now that its all been proven true, which it was long ago you just ignored it, the response changes to "well rich people have money so they can pay".

You people were lied to and you don't even care because the ends justify the means for you people who are just simply jealous of wealth.

“Lack of transparency is a huge political advantage. And basically, call it the stupidity of the American voter or whatever, but basically that was really, really critical for the thing to pass. … Look, I wish … we could make it all transparent, but I’d rather have this law than not.”

--Jonathan Gruber, One of the architects of Obamacare and Special Counsel to the President.
    YOU WERE ALL PLAYED FOR FOOLS!

And now the best you can muster is wealth-bashing, some incorrect math, and "give me a better source" which of course means "if I don't see it on Leftists aligned media its not true" ...as if they'd ever report on it in the first place.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

Quote Originally Posted by Shurkuris View Post
    When America stops paying out trillions of dollars to every country in the world and stops subsidizing 99% of the world's military and protection, we can start bringing all that wealth we re-distribute and actually use it for ourselves.
    I don't disagree but until then there still needs to be a healthcare system and a system for SSI/Disability and so on.

That is the point in Tax's to provide the country with what it needs. These systems are needed. To many people in this country only give a fuck about themselves. So what you pay 5% more tax's at lease people get to eat tonight ffs.

A flat tax is stupid anyway. 20% of someone of low income can cost them there home 20% of someone rich doesn't matter they piss 20% a hr.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    So.. we're going to pay for government with girl scout cookie sales I take it?
    Of course not, that would still require a centralized organization to process the collections and distribute the cookies. When we abolish the IRS we'll just collapse back into a group of city states without overall governance.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-