Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    And the poor people are still less able to pay 2% of their income than the rich. Also the fact that the penalty is going up every year until it exceeds what you'd pay for insurance, which is also too much for people to afford.

You've got some really strange ideas about how working class people in the US are spending money right now. It isn't on fancier cars. It's mostly shifting towards interest rates on debt. (Elizabeth Warren did a wonderful speech on this, which I'll link after you fail to admit you're wrong)
    The example cited in OP which lead to the 2k IRS fine isn't a working class household.

Quote Originally Posted by fengosa View Post
    The example cited in OP which lead to the 2k IRS fine isn't a working class household.
    But the example I just gave owing a $650 fine while in poverty is.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.irp.wisc.edu/faqs/faq1.htm
    http://taxpolicycenter.org/taxfacts/acacalculator.cfm
    http://obamacarefee.com/2015-calculator/

A single person with no dependents making 12,000 a year (the poverty line) without insurance - the penalty is 650$. More next year.

Explain to me how this is being covered?

Oh, and here's the video I promised you about where American dollars are actually going, and it isn't towards fancier cars or bigger houses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akVL7QY0S8A
    In any sane state health care should be provided for someone living under the poverty line.

10+ Year Old Account
    And yet, when I go to that same site I get a much lower number. And then I see the exemption clause for those not filing due to insufficient wages. So....
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    You were responding to Endus who was clearly talking about the OP.

In any sane state health care should be provided for someone living under the poverty line.
    Blame Republicans? Does it fix anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    And yet, when I go to that same site I get a much lower number. And then I see the exemption clause for those not filing due to insufficient wages. So....
    You think people making 12,000 a year don't have to file taxes?

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Considering your Avatar and the site is called http://www.thefederalistpapers.org, I'm going to need another source for validity.
    When you can't attack the data (the photo of the letter from the IRS), attack the source?

10+ Year Old Account
    You think people making 12,000 a year don't have to file taxes?
    Current cut-off is 10,150$, find 1,850$ to deduct beyond the standard deductions and you don't have to file taxes with a 12,000$ gross income.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Current cut-off is 10,150$, find 1,850$ to deduct beyond the standard deductions and you don't have to file taxes with a 12,000$ gross income.
    "Make less money so you don't have to pay the penalty."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by roent View Post
    When you can't attack the data (the photo of the letter from the IRS), attack the source?
    The source is copy paste of someones Facebook. If you do any research on this you'll understand why the fine exists and why it's justified. This thread is neither new nor interesting.

10+ Year Old Account

Yes... because deductions mean making less money. Ah well, clearly you're just going to rant against reality. Carry on.

-Kujako-

lol... c'mon, comrade, shared suffering!

Why do people think gov't is the answer? Seems to me the bigger gov't has gotten, the worse things have become.

Where's the incentive to be affordable when you're spending other people's money? Health care and post secondary education are the poster children.

- - - Updated - - -

The source is copy paste of someones Facebook. If you do any research on this you'll understand why the fine exists and why it's justified. This thread is neither new nor interesting.
    And yet, here you are...

The source is a letter from the IRS, where it is hosted is irrelevant.

The fine is exists because we are now compelled to purchase something by gov't mandate. I don't know that I'd call that "justified."

Yes... because deductions mean making less money. Ah well, clearly you're just going to rant against reality. Carry on.
    He doesn't even read his own sources let alone comprehend them, I got a much lower payment than he calculated so I don't know where the fuck $650 came from. Also people at that line qualify for welfare and free insurance at that point so the whole thing is moot.

Why do people think gov't is the answer?
    Because the alternative is private businesses screwing you over.

Seems to me the bigger gov't has gotten, the worse things have become.
    In what way have things become worse?

The fine is exists because we are now compelled to purchase something by gov't mandate. I don't know that I'd call that "justified."
    How many times do you have to be told "if you make enough to afford insurance, but refuse to get it, all you're doing is making everyone else pay for it through their taxes" before it sinks in? I mean, if you want to live on the government dime, while complaining about other people living on the government dime...I guess that's your right. It's pretty hilarious, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do people think gov't is the answer?
    Because the rest of the world has been demonstrating that it does in fact work if you don't elect saboteurs?

- - - Updated - - -

I believe there are 22 states that do not fit in that category.
    Last edited by Masark; 2015-10-17 at 08:37 PM.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    How many times do you have to be told "if you make enough to afford insurance, but refuse to get it, all you're doing is making everyone else pay for it through their taxes" before it sinks in? I mean, if you want to live on the government dime, while complaining about other people living on the government dime...I guess that's your right. It's pretty hilarious, though.
    I dont carry insurance, prices are too high, and anything that would have paid as a catastrophic plan is gone or phasing out.
    Since I do not get medical care or pay out of pocket how do other people pay for it. Now on top of everything they get an additional tax on every dollar I make

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Planeshaper View Post
    In a functioning society that gets to act together as a nation, that is indeed a portion of the purpose of your life.

Get used to is, because it isn't going to change. Part of your life's purpose is to provide for others for the collective well-being -- in a manner decided by the collective you seek the protections thereof.

This is the default setting of human civilization.
    No it isn't. If your a shit bag you're not going to get dragged you're just going to get left in the dirt. Sucks to sucks, that's the way it is.

So, does this indeed mean he earns over 230k a year? If so => LOL.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    Shoot the tax dodging fuckwit, one less criminal can only be a good thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe if this dirtbag paid his taxes the country would be a better place.
    And those taxes have been used inefficiently everywhere other than making the country better. Obamacare, social security, irs, and a bunch of other dumb shit. You don't want these benefits fine but you shouldn't be punished into not buying if you don't use them.