Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

European leaders admit EU ARMY developing 'much faster than people believe'

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politi...eality-Juncker

European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker provoked outrage earlier this year with proposals for a Common Security and Defence Policy (CSDP).

European People’s Party (EPP) president Joseph Daul has now admitted the European Parliament will try to push through plans that would go far beyond what even Mr Juncker had intended.

Under the latest proposals, a common European-wide army would become a force capable of taking on missions of "higher intensity" and even replace national guards at EU borders.

Bureaucrats in Brussels are trying to capitalise on concerns over “Russian aggression” and the migrant crisis to push through the long-held ambitions for a European army.

Whereas Mr Junker’s original vision was for a force capable of dealing with 'post-conflict peace-keeping', the European Parliament is now preparing to discuss an aggressive common military force.

Mr Daul admitted: "We are going to move towards an EU army much faster than people believe.

"We won’t have an EU army tomorrow, but have to get started.”

The proposals will be discussed at a summit held by the leaders of the European Peoples’ Party (EPP) in Madrid next week.

The paper released calls for a 'European operational headquarters' to replace the system of national governments directing their own forces.

The draft plan also demands that power over border control, including European coastguard responsibilities, should be handed to the new army.

The EPP’s paper mentions: “In today’s security environment, the CSDP stand as one of the weakest spots of the EU’s project for peace, integration and development.

"Rising threats must now lead to a change in mind-set.

“Moving beyond CSDP’s focus on post-conflict and low-intensity missions to being able to conduct territorial defence and higher intensity.”

“Russian aggression against members of the EU and NATO must be deterred.

"This presupposes, first of all, a NATO which is militarily stronger thanks to more and smarter defence spending but also higher levels of pooling and sharing of military infrastructure, materiel and personnel between member states of the EU and NATO.”

The centre right party holds 217 of the European Parliament’s 751 seats, making it the largest single party in the Parliament, and was home to the Conservative Party delegation until 2010.

With President Juncker and President Donald Tusk also members of the EPP, the party holds the dominant position in European politics.

Attempts to form a common defence force have been part of the European project since it began.

In 1950, French Prime Minister René Pleven proposed ambitious plans for defence integration, including the setting up of European Army and the appointment of a European minister of defence.

In June this year, President Juncker renewed plans for an Eu army by insisting that "it is time for a reckoning".

He said: “EU’s soft power must be matched by collective hard power and a more efficient use of our €210 billion yearly defence spending.

"European defence cooperation remains a patchwork of bilateral and multilateral agreements.

"Traditional methods of cooperation have reached their limits and proved insufficient."

In March this year, Britain rejected yet more calls from Juncker for an EU army, saying: “Our position is crystal clear that defence is a national – not an EU – responsibility and that there is no prospect of that position changing and no prospect of a European army.”

But, just last month the German Chancellor Angela Merkel threatened that if Prime Minister David Cameron failed to support an EU army he would not get any 'meaningful negotiation of Britain’s relationship with the EU'.

A source in Berlin said: “If you want favours, you have to give favours."

I'll believe it when I see it. They've been trying to do this for at least 14, 15 years. I don't think they've even been successful at putting together a rapid response force and that's supposed to be on a smaller scale.

I think it's a good idea. It'll bring economics of scale to the militaries and save the countries a lot of money. There's really no need for France, Germany, the UK, Spain, etc etc to each have their own military. Besides, it'll further integrates the countries.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't recall voting for these guys...

I think it's a good idea. Every country in the EU having its own military seems wasteful. I guess the big problem is who controls the army? If Russia invades Estonia on behalf of the large Russian population in Estonia, who makes the decision to send in the EU army? The British might want to send troops to support Estonia and the Germans would be against it for example.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarfhamster View Post
    I'll believe it when I see it. They've been trying to do this for at least 14, 15 years. I don't think they've even been successful at putting together a rapid response force and that's supposed to be on a smaller scale.

I think it's a good idea. It'll bring economics of scale to the militaries and save the countries a lot of money. There's really no need for France, Germany, the UK, Spain, etc etc to each have their own military. Besides, it'll further integrates the countries.
    I'd rather die than see Germans command British troops.

10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation
    Ah yes, EU as usual. Whenever there is a problem, it will claim that the cause of the problem is that EU does not have enough power.
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.

Deleted
    But, just last month the German Chancellor Angela Merkel threatened that if Prime Minister David Cameron failed to support an EU army he would not get any 'meaningful negotiation of Britain’s relationship with the EU'.

A source in Berlin said: “If you want favours, you have to give favours."
    I find this part the most hilarious, As if they have given us any favours before.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I think it's a good idea. Every country in the EU having its own military seems wasteful. I guess the big problem is who controls the army? If Russia invades Estonia on behalf of the large Russian population in Estonia, who makes the decision to send in the EU army? The British might want to send troops to support Estonia and the Germans would be against it for example.
    The USA should controll the EU army. I like how they act. Germany can't act in military cases because of german guilt. Let's combine US forces and EU forces to: "United Army of European Union and the United States of Murrica" (UAEU&USM)- worlds best army with instant attacks and stealth attacks like the US does (they are basically above the laws, they even attack hospitals) and german fail rifles that are inaccurate when the rifle gets hot. With this army russia and china can go home.
    Last edited by lonely zergling; 2015-10-17 at 05:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    I find this part the most hilarious, As if they have given us any favours before.
    Yeah its hilarious how supposed "eu partners" blackmail other "eu partners".
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    hey they sent welcome packages in world war ii.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, they really want to try push a United States of Europe. Fuck that shit.

Deleted
    The Fourth Reich is coming.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    They want it to be a good thing, but all I see are bad things with it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    May 2014? Not that long ago.

Deleted
    EU army...

*insert facepalm*

Only a real idiot would think that countries would be willing to invest in a parallel army when most of them are already in NATO.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    The Fourth Reich is coming.
    Too much European guilt for that, everyone knows the Fourth Reich will be AI.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    Well, allow me to remind you then...

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ed-for-victory

The European Commission is made up of...the Heads of States of each member nation.

The European Parliament elections were held in 2014.

It's not the EU's fault that you personally don't know where your own butthole is.

Politically speaking, army of EU would be more favourable for Finland than joining NATO which I oppose.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    EU army should by default guard the outer borders of the EU. No point in keeping it stationed in France or Germany when east is where it's most likely needed.

However, in the current political climate I wouldn't be surprised if the Brussels bureaucrats would actually be dreaming of an Europe-wide Stasi/KGB organization to stomp out the "racist" opinions questioning the sanity and morality of the politicians' multiculturalist agendas.

I'd have more faith in NATO than an EU army. NATO is a pure military organization, not political, and not dependent on the Brussels dickheads.

And yeah, Finland and Sweden should join NATO as fast as possible. Playing a larp named "neutrality" while next to Russia is one of the most insane forms of self-deception.
    Last edited by mmocf7a456daa4; 2015-10-17 at 06:05 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    EU army should by default guard the outer borders of the EU. No point in keeping it stationed in France or Germany when east is where it's most likely needed.

However, in the current political climate I wouldn't be surprised if the Brussels bureaucrats would actually be dreaming of an Europe-wide Stasi/KGB organization to stomp out the "racist" opinions questioning the sanity and morality of the politicians' multiculturalist agendas.

I'd have more faith in NATO than an EU army. NATO is a pure military organization, not political, and not dependent on the Brussels dickheads.
    Germany couldn't the dampen the British Army's resolve in two world wars, now it tries to threaten for us to let the Germany have our troops.

By all accounts we should let them by marching right into Berlin.