Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    Perhaps I'm being misinterpreted b/c I'm talking about the concept as a whole and not specifically speaking to the article or whatever group of people you say are demanding things? I'm just talking about the concept.
    The group I was referring to was the one you suggested games be made more palatable for. That if not appeased then the game should not be brought to their market. You know, the group that doesn't have to explain themselves.
    Umm, hrm. That's certainly not what's going on here. If people feel the need to question everyone's particulars, that's rather vain and rude.
    See? Vain and rude to question people who inject themselves into an argument and use their feelings as the only justification for their own stance.

Be sure to ignore those double standards! Probably rude and vain to point those out too.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The group I was referring to was the one you suggested games be made more palatable for. That if not appeased then the game should not be brought to their market. You know, the group that doesn't have to explain themselves.
    I'm sorry...can you point me to a post where I pointed out one group that games should be made for? Orrr...did I just reference the same cultural notions that Edge did?
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    See? Vain and rude to question people who inject themselves into an argument and use their feelings as the only justification for their own stance.
    When you have to resort to directly attacking people trying to talk with you, you know you don't have anything to say. 'injecting' into an argument? How droll. That's how you have discourse...by other people talking with you. Otherwise you're just screaming in the wind. If that's what you want to do, be my guest.

In any case, there's clearly not any form of intelligent conversation with people just getting their shit riled up b/c they want to see more boobies. So over it.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Nakloh View Post
    I agree. No game (or any other entertainment medium) should be censored. If you don't like it, don't view/play it.
    I have to agree with this. I personally want Grand Theft Auto V or whatever for the PS4, but we won't get it right now, as we have 2 young children, who do like to play the system (little big planet). Also a Wii U. So yeah, family gaming. We can censor ourselves. =P
    Yes, I draw my own avatars.

I'm sorry...can you point me to a post where I pointed out one group that games should be made for? Orrr...did I just reference the same cultural notions that Edge did?
    Is a specific group required for you to understand how ridiculous it is to suggest that games simply not be brought over should they not be palatable for <insert SOMETHING here that will allow you to address the actual issue rather than argue semantics>?
    When you have to resort to directly attacking people trying to talk with you,
    You used your own feelings to justify your stance. Your stance was about YOU.
    You've echoed these types of statements a lot in your posts here and frankly you're just wrong. I would love to play more JRPG, anime inspired, or visual novel stories but unfortunately I'm pushed out of the genre almost forcefully by the disregard for common cultural values where I live. I'd prefer if they had no nudity, as neither me nor my wife find it acceptable in a gaming medium when it's used exploitationally.

In fact, we're turned off by many modern anime for the same reason. So I simply can't stand by while you paint really broad strokes that people won't be interested in these products. We are very interested and would just like to focus on good stories instead of trying to excite a bunch of teenagers or horny people. That's certainly not why we watch anime or play games.
    'injecting' into an argument? How droll. That's how you have discourse...by other people talking with you.
    How droll it is to completely ignore the entire rest of that sentence. It was not that you injected yourself into the discussion but how you did so.
    Last edited by unholytestament; 2015-10-24 at 04:12 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakloh View Post
    I agree. No game (or any other entertainment medium) should be censored. If you don't like it, don't view/play it.
    This, totally. Don't like it? Gtfo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    This is a fair argument to make, and Ken speaks directly to this in his interview. But that doesn't mean that companies won't still try to aim beyond their core niche audience with games and make alterations to support that goal. Whether it ends up being a success and they sell more copies or not can't necessarily be predicted. But you cannot begrudge a company for taking steps to try to make a product as successful as possible.
    Then make 2 versions of a game. I know that there's censored and explicit versions of music in some countries, I don't see why we can't do the same for games?

Quote Originally Posted by Detheavn View Post
    Then make 2 versions of a game. I know that there's censored and explicit versions of music in some countries, I don't see why we can't do the same for games?
    You can't think of a single argument?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    You can't think of a single argument?
    None which I can't dismiss by some form of logic.

None which I can't dismiss by some form of logic.
    Money? Release dates?

There are places in the world where blood can't be red (or couldn't in the past), like Germany. That's worth an investment, because you'll be selling yourself short on quite a large country, if your game isn't available in stores anywhere. But releasing both a normal and a customized national version in any single country where either is allowed won't net them any profit and endangers release frames.

10+ Year Old Account
    The "heavily" censored ones now are not tailored to all countries at the same time, so that argument is moot regardless.

Its a strange situation where moving things to the west 99% of the time means dealing with culture that sees sexuality as taboo but is extremely pro violence and gore. Some folks would say 'but they are just massaging their product to fit your culture!' to which i would direct people to Lightning Returns vs Bravely Default and how it made square realising diluting your product for western appeal removes the unique appeal your culture adds to the games to begin with. If someones buying from an overseas developer then they arent buying a product made in their own culture and as such probably dont want their cultures equivalent so changing it to suit it just means everybody loses. The producer alters their product for an audience that did not want the product to be altered.

Its a strange time we live in where in the west especially we seem to think everything should be made for everyone and as inclusive as possible. I dont know about you but i cant stand call of duty and wouldnt give too shits if it was made to appeal more to people like me who would rather play metal gear solid, but i know call of duty fans would go "why are you changing it for people who dont want it when we liked what you gave us already?".
    Some people seem to think its a by product of the current social justice trends because of the term "inclusive" but lets be honest its nothing at all the same. Its publishers dliuting things to get more day one sales at the long term cost of the brand. Thats been EA's MO for about 15 years or more.

It doesnt matter what you make some culture will find it offensive. Each country also has its own ratings systems in place. Things sold in the UK might be Banned in Germany of Australia for example. Which sucks but if people want the artists creation they will import. Altering it to suit each region just means you arent getting what the artist intended but some strange edit like a movie dubbed a 'video nasty' in Thatcher era britain.

If i dont like something i dont buy it. I dont treat art as thought crime and start witch hunts like far too many are eager to do nowadays. My opinion is let the artists vision stay true and vote with your wallet on if you want it or not. Simple as that. If someone puts out something bad then guess what? people stop buying their products period.

The "heavily" censored ones now are not tailored to all countries at the same time, so that argument is moot regardless.
    Maybe I misunderstood, I thought you meant beyond the two that are already being made globally, you wanted to expand to two per country.

Deleted
    I liked the idea behind Tera and censor that kids clothes. I think that when it starts thumbing on what's illegal in most countries in the west, and I don't know if one can excuse it by having it cartooned. If the idea is to have children playing characters of their own age, which could be the case but game overall are usually for 12 years and above anyway and those kid characters look closer to 10. Anyway, if the idea is to give them characters to play the kid probably isn't asking for revealing clothes so adding more clothes, and censor that way, to those characters makes perfect sense. It's usually fully grown ups that complain about the child not being half-naked, for whatev creepy reason.

Other than that, revealing clothes on adults... it's fully accepted in all media and we see it everywhere, blood and violence they can just put age limit and then the parents can choose if they want children below that age to play the games, similar to what it is today. So just adding age limits as today and keep content is working fine I would say.
    Last edited by mmocb8e9590de3; 2015-10-25 at 12:08 PM.