Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Why is the jungle so confusing to navigate?

For seriously. I am having hard time even finding hero points even though I'm directly on top of the icon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NoClueWhatToDo View Post
    For seriously. I am having hard time even finding hero points even though I'm directly on top of the icon.
    As far as I can tell so far, you have to get XP to unlock as many mastery points as you can for gliding and updrafts and all that in order to be able to get to the mastery and hero points which are either above or below. At least, I haven't been able to get to any yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Generally speaking, that's kind of the point. There's going to be a ton of stuff you just can't get to until you have more of the masteries unlocked.

What you should do is to get the first gliding mastery, switch to mushrooms to get the first mushroom mastery and then switch back to gliding to max that out (I really wish they had just added a queue for all those masteries). Getting mushrooms are important simply for jumping up to areas you normally have to trek all the way up to (since there is a lot of verticality in the maps).

I've unlocked gliding and mushroom jumping but I have no idea how to get to any of the skill challenges, or anything else for that matter. It's kind of annoying but hey, at least it's different.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Boy, I used one of those pact choppers to bring me to the Canopy... that's one reeeeeally high map. 10/10 I hope other mmorpgs finally realiza that the world is horizontal and vertical - humanity liking it or not.

Think Metroid/Sonic 2/Dark Souls. Not a flat space navigation implied by the new zones. Paths and areas fold in upon themselves. Certain hero points are in little alcoves on the bottom of a cliff edge.

The map will tell you whether the marker is above or below, and the distance in feet.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was going after skill points yesterday and after waiting for people to show up for one particularly hard champion, I ended up grouping up with them and following someone (who was particularly good at jump puzzles and the like) around the map for an hour or two working on finding other skill points.

I haven't even unlocked jumping mushrooms yet, I got gliding and updrafts first, and I'm having a ball with just those two things so far. It took a little bit to get used to the jump, glide, drop glider, free fall until you're near what you want to land on, glide nature of it. Once you get used to that, though, you won't die unless you get all the way to the vines at the bottom of the jungle that insta-kill you if you land.

The thing is; should a jungle be easy to navigate?

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The thing is; should a jungle be easy to navigate?
    I was under the impression that the game was supposed to be hard to figure out and move forward this time around. That PvE was meant to be more of a challenge rather than something you casually breeze through.
    German science is the greatest in the world!

It's just really annoying, when I finally reach a skill point indicator on the map (even getting there is a major pita), and then it says it's below me. Okay fine, let's check out what's below me. I jump off the cliff, descend vertically for a while, only for the indicator to switch to 'above'. Like wtf dude make up your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
    It's just really annoying, when I finally reach a skill point indicator on the map (even getting there is a major pita), and then it says it's below me. Okay fine, let's check out what's below me. I jump off the cliff, descend vertically for a while, only for the indicator to switch to 'above'. Like wtf dude make up your mind.
    It's probably in a hidden nook. I could have issues with that even in the base game, let alone the expansion which excels at vertical climbs and hidey-holes. :P
    German science is the greatest in the world!

Deleted
    That's the fun of it. I remember getting my world explorer achievement in WoW back in wotlk. I'd mount up, press numlock and open my map. Every time a bit became uncovered, I'd just turn the camera a bit.

In gw2 when I was exploring I'd do something very similar, except I'd occasionally double click on a waypoint when i ran into a dead end.

In HoT I've found myself climbing up little branches and gliding to rocks and leaping off areas that look like dead ends + trying to get into updrafts. I've completed all but 3 hero challenges on the first map + I've had a bunch of fun doing it. Previously, exploring bored me to tears.

Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    Generally speaking, that's kind of the point. There's going to be a ton of stuff you just can't get to until you have more of the masteries unlocked.
    The problem being you go around in circles for several hours trying to get the masteries so you can get the masteries in the first place.

Been playing for 12+ hours in Verdant Brink and still haven't gotten a second mastery level yet, all because the vast majority of the mastery points are unreachable without having a mastery, and the XP is a sheer wall grind. How ironic.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Nostalgic View Post
    The problem being you go around in circles for several hours trying to get the masteries so you can get the masteries in the first place.

Been playing for 12+ hours in Verdant Brink and still haven't gotten a second mastery level yet, all because the vast majority of the mastery points are unreachable without having a mastery, and the XP is a sheer wall grind. How ironic.
    I'm not sure how you've managed that. I went into the new content today, and within 3 hours I managed Mastery level 2. Didn't do anything fancy. Just did maybe half a dozen events as I ran upon them while proceeding to the story quests.

I quite liked the first zone. Especially once you figure out that you can take those airships to the top of hte map, it's pretty easy to get around.

Can't figure out how to get around in the next two areas, though.

Then, after you finally reach it, a bunch of the time there's an NPC sitting there telling you to fuck off, or a poison cloud or a bed of thorns keeping you from accessing it, because you don't have the required mastery yet.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Well, 2 of my friends have rage-quit so far calling the expansion the a 'waste of time and money' so that's a good sign.

I've joined a skill point zerg last night and got 10/11 in verdant brink, once you know how to get around it's a lot less annoying.

I quite like the design and vertical nature of the jungle. Quite a bit better, IMO, than the typical on rails maps that we typically have from MMOs.

Well, 2 of my friends have rage-quit so far calling the expansion the a 'waste of time and money' so that's a good sign.

I've joined a skill point zerg last night and got 10/11 in verdant brink, once you know how to get around it's a lot less annoying.
    I haven't looked at how the Hero whatevers accumulate in Wv, you need ten to get credit for a random Hero Challenge from Maguuma
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

10+ Year Old Account

Yeah I think some people need to have more patience.

I hated the new zones the first day and now on the third day after getting a lot more used to how to get around I am really loving the zones. Being able to go up in the canopy and glide around between different updrafts and explore all the stuff they put up there is really fun.

It's also made me remember how much I love the GW2 players because as opposed to a lot of other MMOs, people are friendly and willingly group up for anything. Second day that I've spent an hour or two running around with a random group getting hero points.