Thread: Timewalking BiS

Timewalking BiS

Greetings!

I'm planning on farming 10k timewalking points some time soon and was looking into OP timewalking gear to make this as smooth of an experience as possible. So far I've read through other forum posts and gathered some intel on the matter, but it's not a lot.

Helm: MoP helm with legendary gem? Does it even proc?
    Cloak: Legendary (obviously?)
    Rings: Ashen Verdict & 715; though, Ashen Verdict won't work with Cata dungs?
    Trinkets: Mirror of the Blademaster + ??? DMC:G, Lucky Coin or something else?
    Weapon: Lei Shi gun with Legendary gem, Garrosh Heirloom, Deathwing bow (does it proc?), Lady Deathwhisper bow (does it proc? won't work in Cata?)
    Sets: Why not T18 if we're playing MM? What other sets are OP?

Also, is MM for sure better than BM?

Last edited by jackb; 2015-10-26 at 12:16 AM.

Set: ToT tier
    Weapon: Deathwing bow OR Taoren Soul Burner (sha touched socket)
    Cloak: legendary
    Rings: 715/Legendary + whatever (socket duh)
    Trinkets: Mirror + Vial of Shadows

I wouldn't regard this list I've given as a BiS list in the slightest, as there is a lot of room to play around with it, all of the choices here are based around the power of instant damage procs from items and sets (hence vial, ToT tier, and deathwing bow) in timewalker dungeons.

I think deathbringer's will (until cata timewalking) or will of unbinding for second trinket, mirror obviously best by far (random fact, normal version of DBW has MORE crit than the heroic one since the stat squish, both inside and outside of timewalking). You should probably actually be playing bm not mm, unless you're farming with a tank that does baby pulls. You'd probably want to use the BoE 397 bracers with two sockets (hunter-killer or something?), and you absolutely want to use a mop engineering helm as your offpiece, the gems make it way overbudget when scaled down (not sure if legendary meta gem would even be better than the crit damage one?). As for tier it's
    probably dragon soul set or siege of orgrimmar set, there aren't many crazy set bonus options so those choices are mostly for the sockets. The only wod-rng item you need to farm for would be a socketed mirror of the blademaster.

It's probably optimal (if you care enough) to run two bm specs like people do in CMs - one spec with blink strikes and the other with stampede. Switch to stampede spec before a boss, get Frenzy stacks, stampede+focus fire boss, then switch over to blink strikes spec until stampede is up and needed again.

Also don't forget about all of the enchants in weird slots obviously.

It might be worth fitting in a wod lfr 2p bonus somewhere if you get socketed boots+x other slot.

Something of interest that I haven't actually tested - just an idea - would be to check if the set bonus for equipping two rings looted as treasures in nagrand is properly scaled down, seems like something they could overlook since it's such a random thing. I think the set bonus is versatility? If it's properly scaled then definitely not worth. The gun from iron qon has over budgeted agility IIRC, almost like it forgot it has a socket, this plus the socket bonus (and prismatic socket) could make it something of note, depending on how taoren's sha-touched gem scales in the different expansions. There are also legs with 3 sockets from lei Shen if you want to fit those in somewhere, maybe if you don't have engineering for helm.

This last one is kinda silly, but maybe rune of re-origination could do some crazy stuff if you used secondary stat gems everywhere to maximize the proc.

The biggest problem with determining best-in-slot for timewalking is that you end up having a different bis set for every expansion, I.E. Can't use deathbringers will when it becomes cata timewalking event because it'll be something like 100-150 ilvls behind. Another example is that low ilvl neck with 2 sockets (ilvl 100?) which is probably bis for tbc, but likely falls too far behind in wrath/cata.
    Last edited by Trictagon; 2015-10-26 at 01:36 AM.

MM with T18, lege cloak, mirror and lots of socketed gear (cata and mop gear especially) is more than enough even for large pulls. Mirror combined with cloak proc + barrage destroy every pack and you'll do sick single target dps on bosses.

The time you waste trying to get absolute BiS is far greater than the time you'll save in TW with those BiS items.
    Last edited by mmocfd1b0ab5a3; 2015-10-26 at 07:43 AM.

Here's my setup if anyone is interested:

Link

I've found that in practice, the t18 4pc bonus is just too strong, despite the huge loss of stats over older gear that can be gemmed and enchanted. This is especially true for bosses that die within the duration of Rapid Fire, or shortly thereafter. If you were to use gear to maximise stats, you'd essentially be doing all your damage with Chimaera, Barrage, Kill Shot and nothing else. But with t18, a Chimaera + Aimed will put most trashmobs into Kill Shot range.

I've ran with Deathbringers Will at first but it's not convincing. It has what, 90s CD with 30s duration or something like that, so you'll get roughly 25% uptime, and the procs aren't that amazing. I'm currently running with my Heart of the Mountain (which has a socket, too) because it has the same CD as Rapid Fire, although I'm sure there are better trinkets out there. Probably one of the Darkmoon cards, which are a pain to get, so I'll pass on them.

Also, MM is clearly the superior spec by far. First, you only get 2 mirrors from the Blademaster trinket instead of 4 if you are BM, and we all know how powerful it currently is. Second, BM has practically no burst compared to MM. By the time the pet reaches a target, MM already has it in Kill Shot range from a Chimaera + Aimed. And most pulls are small groups where Chimaera cleave is very strong. If you're running with a good premade group and always have 2-3 groups together, then play BM, but in PuGs, MM is king.

If you want my advice about getting the timewalking rewards though, then I'll say this: gear your tanks. I've went to the trouble to create (what I believe) BiS sets for my Hunter, Warrior and DK and already bought all the mounts and toys that are currently available. Going as tank will give you more control over the run, leading to much faster runs with less fuckups/casualties. Instant queues most of the time, and most importantly, call to arms every now and then. The 50 bonus marks from CtA make a HUGE difference, I'd say solo queueing as tank with CtA is even faster than farming with a good premade. I've obtained both my BC and WotLK mounts by solo-queueing with my Warrior and DK as tank, and most of my runs were done with CtA. I'd never have made it without that.

I've reach the same conclusion, that I should gear a tank and do timewalking farm, even though my hunter has access to MoP legendaries. And between DK and Warrior, I chose DK, since T12 2p bonus is just too strong, and because Shadowmourne. Curios thing, I haven't seen yet any TW farm groups.

Deleted
    Id agree that most of the times things die to fast for BM's to really shine, especially a two spec. If your'e running with a group which you mostly need to if your'e hoping for big aoe pulls then boss targets will be half dead by the time you respecced to the stampede spec from blinks strikes. That said i think due to reduction of pet travel time and trash speed being most of the dungeons if running BM blink strikes seems to be the way to go in order for the uptime of pet on target.
    If you got the "BIS stuff" or just want to have it on principle go for it but it doesn't really seem worth the time to farm it just for the point farming since the farm time adds to the total time spent for a minimal reduction in clear speeds.
    Last edited by mmoc90da025fe8; 2015-10-27 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by geist0r View Post
    Here's my setup if anyone is interested:

Link
    Why use the BC legs instead of tier? By picking tier you can get an MoP helm and put the legendary gem in it. Unless it doesn't proc I can't imagine it would be outclassed by 3 (or fewer) gems. I'd also get the boots from Hagara. Those have the same amount of sockets and can be used for more than BC timewalking. There's also the Ashen Verdict ring that has it's own proc.

But you're definitively correct on gearing a tank first. Some of the tanks I've ran with on alts were just flat out beating everyone in DPS while requiring little to no healing. Even better if you're a DK and you get Old Kingdom. Controlling those Nerubian casters is just hilarious.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Delaios View Post
    Why use the BC legs instead of tier? By picking tier you can get an MoP helm and put the legendary gem in it. Unless it doesn't proc I can't imagine it would be outclassed by 3 (or fewer) gems. I'd also get the boots from Hagara. Those have the same amount of sockets and can be used for more than BC timewalking. There's also the Ashen Verdict ring that has it's own proc.

But you're definitively correct on gearing a tank first. Some of the tanks I've ran with on alts were just flat out beating everyone in DPS while requiring little to no healing. Even better if you're a DK and you get Old Kingdom. Controlling those Nerubian casters is just hilarious.
    The legendary meta was about 5% of my total damage in the whole dungeon. I don't know if 20 agility is more worth than the gem because i haven't done any math for that matter.

For the Hagara boot part: http://www.wowhead.com/compare?items=29951;78415
    The stat squish is pretty weird, so some BC items are better than Cata items even if they have almost 300ilvl difference. I'd also pick the Star-Strider Boots because 2 agility and 7 crit are probably superior than 20 stamina, 6 armor and 8 haste.

For the tank part: i haven't seen any prot paladins or guardian druids but i've seen BrM monks and blood dks (i even leveled a dk just for timewalking) and they do absurd AoE and ST dps if you have the proper gear for it
    Last edited by mmoc9aad74b9e3; 2015-10-29 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Delaios View Post
    The pandaria meta gem doesn't look all that amazing. And helm is the weakest slot to replace with an offset piece because it cannot be enchanted, while legs, shoulders and hands are the strongest. I've calculated the stats you lose on each slot by replacing a gemmed and enchanted BiS piece with a WoD set piece, and legs came out on top. Of couse, that included just raw stats, and didn't take the meta into consideration. But look at the stats of the Wyrmscale Greaves. They aren't just great. They are beyond amazing. They offer almost twice the stats of any other item you can get on that slot.

Unfortunately I'll have to replace quite a few pieces when cata TW gets released. I'm not sure if I'll even bother, I have like 5 free bank slots on my hunter and am desperately in need of space, meanwhile Blizzard keeps adding toys that aren't toys every other minipatch as if they're mocking me. I'll probably just run TW after 6.2.3 with my Warrior or DK until I get the new mount and then be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by geist0r View Post
    The pandaria meta gem doesn't look all that amazing. And helm is the weakest slot to replace with an offset piece because it cannot be enchanted, while legs, shoulders and hands are the strongest. I've calculated the stats you lose on each slot by replacing a gemmed and enchanted BiS piece with a WoD set piece, and legs came out on top. Of couse, that included just raw stats, and didn't take the meta into consideration. But look at the stats of the Wyrmscale Greaves. They aren't just great. They are beyond amazing. They offer almost twice the stats of any other item you can get on that slot.

Unfortunately I'll have to replace quite a few pieces when cata TW gets released. I'm not sure if I'll even bother, I have like 5 free bank slots on my hunter and am desperately in need of space, meanwhile Blizzard keeps adding toys that aren't toys every other minipatch as if they're mocking me. I'll probably just run TW after 6.2.3 with my Warrior or DK until I get the new mount and then be done with it.
    Hmm, guess I'll just stick with my DS helm for now in that case. Saves me the time of getting a MoP helm. Was really bummed that all 12 gems I crafted were useless because they were from MoP and my gear was from Cata/WotLK. Makes no sense at all now that MoP gems are no better than Cata ones.

I'm not looking for pieces very actively due to a lack of bag space as well. Hopefully the new transmog system comes in the pre-patch for Legion. If it really is similar to Diablo 3 I'll finally have some room again. I don't even have space for my Timewalking set in the bank and carry it around in my bags. I'm really hoping Blizzard adds a Utility tab where teleport items, gimmicks and all those other useful-but-not-a-toy things can go into. I've got 4 Engineering teleport items, the Black Temple necklace, Dalaran ring, Stormwind cloak, Aviana's Feather, Fishing raft

Deleted
    Hello everybody. I got a little bit obsessed with building timewalking gears for my toons i noticed that you can get 4piece bonus from tier 6 with another 4 piece bonus from any other set. I don't know how big of a deal is 10% increased focus regeneration and 10% increased dmg to steady shoot, but on the other hand sunwell gear actualy have better stats that any scaled down gear piece.
    Just some random thoughts

Deleted
    Steady Shot dps sucks in TW, if you want flat X% damage increase on X ability go for 2pc Tier 14 and 2pc Tier 16

I highly doubt the 10% focus regen is any good because bosses die so fast in TW, but if you want to get even more focus grab that 2p Tier 13

THIS is what i will be running my TW dungeons with
    Last edited by mmoc9aad74b9e3; 2015-11-02 at 03:22 PM.

Deleted
    @Deithy, the t6 set bonuses are pretty bad but since you don't have to replace another setbonus and they "only" have to compete with other items with better stats, sockets it's still interesting imho. Would have to make a stats comparison including usable gems to find out how much you loose for the crappy bonuses

@Koenig imho your response is somewhat missing the the point since Deithy wasn't suggesting to only use t6 bonus but rather in addition to a decent 4piece. Though thanks for your itemlist which is interesting too.

Deleted
    ^ sorry about that

the T6 4pc isn't worth it imo considering the amount of socket slots you will miss out on. bracers 1 socket, belt 1 socket, boots 1socket