Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverware View Post
    Team Fortress 2.
    Planetside 2 has tons of them as well. So it's nothing strange with having skins, and they are selling. However if Blizzard don't want to do it, I'm guessing they have other plans in how to get the money out of players, and I'm sure whatever they choose it will be working.

I can assure you that it is F2P.

The question is "Is it P2W?" and "How much for Pay-to-Accelerate?"

7+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, they seriously risk shooting themselves in the foot unless they approach it reasonably. F2P with Hero unlocks just won't cut it anymore, not when you're trying to muscle in the most overcrowded genre. Additionally you can't just charge full price for a multiplayer only first person shooter, even though most games have shit single player Titanfall's death was due to that model. As is the only way they can get a solid non-Blizzard playerbase is either free-to-play with cosmetic unlocks or buy to play at a discounted price. Hearthstone is kept successful by being the only competitor in it's sphere, this unlocking grind killed Heroes in the womb (not that I think it had a serious chance anyways but that's another discussion) grinding characters doesn't work as a model anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Firespark View Post
    It's very unlikely they'd add skins, Overwatch is 1st person - you never see your own character.
    But the others do, and that's important for many people. They could also have different voice packs and skill particles as "skins". Smite does the former and it's pretty fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Personal opinions of which payment model we may want the most, from a business perspective f2p seems to be the most profitable choice these days.

Would prefer it is buy to play. If it got an kinds of unlocks that make you stronger (including new characters), i wont play the game. Can't take it when new players are in weaker than their counterparts/someone who spend a bunch of cash. I can take it in a card game, but no a fps. Your own skill of getting better at the game should be enough advantage.

i hope they dont make it pay to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Notshauna View Post
    Honestly, they seriously risk shooting themselves in the foot unless they approach it reasonably. F2P with Hero unlocks just won't cut it anymore, not when you're trying to muscle in the most overcrowded genre. Additionally you can't just charge full price for a multiplayer only first person shooter, even though most games have shit single player Titanfall's death was due to that model. As is the only way they can get a solid non-Blizzard playerbase is either free-to-play with cosmetic unlocks or buy to play at a discounted price. Hearthstone is kept successful by being the only competitor in it's sphere, this unlocking grind killed Heroes in the womb (not that I think it had a serious chance anyways but that's another discussion) grinding characters doesn't work as a model anymore.
    At this point they might even stand out and attract more players by not having any additional content you have to pay for. I for one am kinda sick of seeing season passes and all that bullshit with every new game that comes out. And when I hear F2P I always get this bad feeling about it, the game either sucks or if it doesn't suck it's full of annoying microtransactions... idk I just want to buy a game and play it without being tricked into paying more.

Quote Originally Posted by Overwatch001 View Post
    i hope they dont make it pay to win.
    Exactly, and that's all that really matters with the pay model.

A healthy cosmetics market as opposed to character unlocks would be ideal, imo.

Overwatch, whether by very purposeful design or not, is a game that in order to be good at it, will require you to be fluid and willing to play as many character as possible, switching mid-game to counter the other team. Having most of the characters blocked off would be a poor design choice and make the experience fairly unpleasant for new players, I think.

It's one thing when it's done like that in a MOBA, where games last a while, but Overwatch games come and go very fast, you can't let players get stuck with the same couple characters for a super long time.