Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrium View Post
    The question will always remain, if not us...who then?

Whenever we leave a giant vacuum always exists with no one stepping up to the plate.
    What do you mean with "whenever we leave" ?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Just look at the stories of most South and Central America countries from the 50s to the 80s (the glorious Cold War years).

What the US did, fearing "them evil commies": sponsored several bloodthirsty (but US-aligned) military dictators who took control of those countries from their democratically elected leaders, imposing regimes where most of those citizens' basic rights were revoked, and most of their freedoms removed. Thousands were tortured and killed under dictators like Somoza, Pinochet, Noriega, Medici, and others.

Which is the exact same thing that they claim to be fighting against elsewhere in the world, right now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States
    Last edited by wonderlust; 2015-10-28 at 09:41 PM.
    Yak. Yak never changes.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    A free Canada is proof we're not Imperial.
    Good point. We had the chance to annex Mexico back in 1848. We should have.

What would the US gain by annexing a country that is already their greatest ally?
    Yak. Yak never changes.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderlust View Post
    What would the US gain by annexing a country that is already their greatest ally?
    The same gains any country bent on conquest would have. More land and resources. But Hubcap is correct. The US is not a Imperialist nation as a rule. If we were, all of North and South America would be part of the United States. That is not to say we are guiltless however when it comes to taking and invading other nations as we did the Indians here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    The same gains any country bent on conquest would have. More land and resources. But Hubcap is correct. The US is not a Imperialist nation as a rule. If we were, all of North and South America would be part of the United States. That is not to say we are guiltless however when it comes to taking and invading other nations as we did the Indians here.
    I don't think imperialism in the contemporary world works the same way as it did for Rome or Britain. The US would never be able to successfully pull off actually invading other countries and making them a part of their "empire"; not without pissing off the other powers of the world.

But dominance can occur in many other ways. Economical dependence, political alignment, just to name a few.
    Yak. Yak never changes.

Quote Originally Posted by wonderlust View Post
    I don't think imperialism in the contemporary world works the same way as it did for Rome or Britain. The US would never be able to successfully pull off actually invading other countries and making them a part of their "empire"; not without pissing off the other powers of the world.

But dominance can occur in many other ways. Economical dependence, political alignment, just to name a few.
    Dominance doesn't make it imperialism, though. This is like listening to awful 70s-era Vietnam propaganda.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulslaver View Post
    https://youtu.be/ablI1v9PXpI?t=24s

- For over a century, the US wants to prevent an alliance between russia and germany at all costs.
    -the US acts outside the NATO.
    - The US has the historical unique position of controlling all seven seas. No country has done that before.
    -Imperialistic countries who try to govern directly, fail. Britain didnt occupy india. They turned the states against eachother. Rome had installed pro roman kings (puppet regime).
    - Ronald reagan supported both sides in the Ian/Iraq war (1980-1988) which proved tremendously successful.
    - The US can not occupy Eurasia, but they can support both conflicting sides and if neccessary use spoiling attacks that keep the enemy off balance.
    - "There is still a problem in admitting that we are an imperialistic state"

The cold, hard truth and they freely admit it. People will still stay ignorant and think there is anything else than economical interest at play here. Yeah, human rights, democracy, gay rights, dictator who kills his people... are all pretext to calm the gullibles and instruments used to throw at enemies. But who cares about Saudi Arabia killing gays when we can bash russia for some gay tax that doesn't even exist.

I am out of pearls to throw...
    Who cares, as long as were getting money out of it.

That entirely depends on how America sees their relationship with Canada.

America is a "Bully that keeps the peace of its own self-interested whim"

Deleted
    Did you forget the part where the US invaded Canada and lost.

No one said the US was good at imperialism.

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    Did you forget the part where the US invaded Canada and lost.

No one said the US was good at imperialism.
    On the other hand, large swathes of the world run on the say-so of the USA, or at least the US Navy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Name a civilization that has not tried at some point in its history

Of course it is, everyone knows that.

The major point to take away from it is that the only people who want it to remain that way are those that directly benefit from it, whether or not they're American citizens themselves. There's businessmen, politicians, intellectuals and people of other stripes all over the world who owe part of their pie to US Imperialism and would rather see it continue, even if they're giving voice to every anti US sentiment that exists in their country and government.

For those who live in other parts of the world it would behoove them to examine the investments and assets of their big shots so they can determine who is really operating in their own nations' best interest, and by that I mean the land and the citizens.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulslaver View Post
    I am out of pearls to throw...
    doing things/policy to gain power/influence/wealth should be the only things nations should be doing
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

I'm just glad MMO Champion has all these people here that has all the answers to all the problems in the world. Now we just need to get these folks in office so they can fix everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    I'm just glad MMO Champion has all these people here that has all the answers to all the problems in the world. Now we just need to get these folks in office so they can fix everything.
    Greymane 2016

Who will be my VP!

Listen as an Mmmerican, I know we do a lot of fucked up shit. I guess biased but I do not know if all our actions were why shit gets more fucked up or we made it a little less fucked up. I am pretty much an isolationist, but I know that will never happen and maybe we are needed much more in places.

I still think it pisses off every country to no end that the US never demanded the entire world to disband their entire military and government and become apart of the US at the end of WWII.

We had nuked, TWICE! Cities of Japan, Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The entire world at that point was deathly afraid of the US. We could of demanded with 0 resistance that every country to disband it's military and submit to US rule or we would of started on wiping off cities from the face of the Earth with the flip of a switch.

But we didn't, I can't think of a single country in the last 5,000 years who if presented with our dilemma would of been as stupid as us as to let such an opportunity go to waste. Since the beginning of human civilization, people have dreamed of conquering and uniting all the lands into one country.

So go waste your "Imperalistic State" somewhere else... I'm sorry that we haven't been perfect little angels that gave you gold platters of caviar for the past 80 years, but I think when you compare us to anything else. We did a pretty damn good job.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Greymane 2016

Who will be my VP!
    I'll do it; nobody would dare assassinate you if it would give me the office.

10+ Year Old Account
    In some manner yes but are we the worst nation of group of people? Lol no.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi