Page 1 of 25
... LastLast

3rd Republican Debate Predictions

Tonights debate should be a blast to watch. With Ben Carson finally in the center, he has a chance to really shine. While he's currently my candidate of choice, I haven't been too impressed with his debate performances to date. I'm hoping that changes tonight, but we will see.

I think Fiona will shine again. So polished, and economics is a great topic for her. I think Trump could do well on economics as well, but it will be interesting to see how he handles not being the top guy right now. He could really come across as brash, even for him, which is amazing. I think Bush will look desperate again and hurt himself. Christie may implode as he has nothing to lose and might go wacko taking risks. But it wont go over well, and he just needs to leave, along with Paul. Kasich should do well, but I still don't see him grabbing much momentum. Cruz always seems so weird, even though he has good answers. And lastly, I think Rubio will kill it. Very good knowledge on the subject matter, and very polished.

At the end of the day, I think Carson stays in the lead, followed closely by Rubio, and Trump drops to 3rd. I think Fiona moves up to 4th again. Hopefully the also rans will drop out after tonight, so the real candidates can have more time to actually debate the issues.

Anyone else have any predictions?

10+ Year Old Account
    Once again I will be watching south park instead

followed by American Horror Story

My brain cells will thank me.

Well, any of them can make a blunder. Carson is pulling ahead in Iowa so he'll be a target. It's interesting to watch him under attack, he doesn't react to stress like other's do, I guess all those years of cutting people open and handling life and death emergencies paid off.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    I think Trump will make some big blunders, as I expect him to be a bit flustered by being knocked off his perch by Carson.

I expect Fiorina to shine the brightest in the debate, though. While I disagree with her policies (and everyone's on that stage), I think she has the best delivery by far.

I expect Carson to fall asleep while talking, as usual.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Bunch of crazy people will rant about things they irrationally hate while spouting mistruths. Not actual debate will happen.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Fiorina performs best in the debates, but she fairly vanishes between them because for whatever reason she doesn't have a lot of ground game/infrastructure in the early primary states. She is, though, anybody's intelligent choice as a VP right now that is serious about winning.

I'd like for CNBC or whichever network to be the one that turns to the 4 guys currently below 5% in RCP average and says "you go to the early debate". Time for there to be more people in the "happy hour" debate and fewer on the main stage. Only six candidates are over that 5% threshold right now -- Trump, Carson, Fiorina, Cruz, Bush, Rubio.

Trump will get center stage while saying hateful things about some minorities. Carson will say worse things but no one will pay attention. Florina will say less insane stuff and be declared the "winner" no matter what because it seems some people really want her to be against Hillary. Huckabee will get raptured in the middle, but a plot twist causes him to end up in hell instead.

Just the usual stuff. It will feel more like entertainment than an actual debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    Fiorina performs best in the debates, but she fairly vanishes between them because for whatever reason she doesn't have a lot of ground game/infrastructure in the early primary states. She is, though, anybody's intelligent choice as a VP right now that is serious about winning.

I'd like for CNBC or whichever network to be the one that turns to the 4 guys currently below 5% in RCP average and says "you go to the early debate". Time for there to be more people in the "happy hour" debate and fewer on the main stage. Only six candidates are over that 5% threshold right now -- Trump, Carson, Fiorina, Cruz, Bush, Rubio.
    I agree with this completely. I'm hoping enough drop out to narrow the field, but this 10 person debate is starting to get frustrating. Its hard enough getting substance out of Trump and a few others, and it enables them to avoid substance with so many candidates. Trump, Carson, Fiorina, Cruz, Bush, and Rubio would be a much better field.

trump will be a racist and noone will object towards his racists views. all you need to know about what will happen

10+ Year Old Account
    My prediction: Rubio will get attacked on his Senate attendance, and will respond poorly.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Deleted
    Seeing as it's being hosted by CNBC, I wonder if they'll poke at the business record of Trump and Fiorina, neither of which are particularly stellar.

I fully expect it to be the same behavior I see when I go to the zoo and watch the monkeys throwing their own feces. Hopefully some of the Republicans will see the clear difference between an educated Democratic debate and this comedy show they're going to put on. Then again, I'm sure it will just be more of God, Guns, 'Merica!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure why people think Carson is doing better than Trump, a single poll showed him to be up 4 pts on Trump among the 575 likely voters it polled, conversely Gravis and Morning Consult polls both showed Trump over Carson by more than 10 pts among 906 and 714 Republican voters respectively
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hopefully they just keep attacking each other so we can have 2012 all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    I'm not sure why people think Carson is doing better than Trump, a single poll showed him to be up 4 pts on Trump among the 575 likely voters it polled, conversely Gravis and Morning Consult polls both showed Trump over Carson by more than 10 pts among 906 and 714 Republican voters respectively
    On the radio, I heard that Carson will be in the "center" this debate instead of Trump. Its obviously still very close, but the most recent poll showed Carson ahead (although within the margin of error).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Druover View Post
    On the radio, I heard that Carson will be in the "center" this debate instead of Trump. Its obviously still very close, but the most recent poll showed Carson ahead (although within the margin of error).
    That can only go poorly for Carson he has no charisma.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see the point. Carson has caught up to Trump by acting as deluded as he does. They'll all make some claims. They'll all make some promises. The claims will be full of shit and the promises will be broken.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lery View Post
    I fully expect it to be the same behavior I see when I go to the zoo and watch the monkeys throwing their own feces. Hopefully some of the Republicans will see the clear difference between an educated Democratic debate and this comedy show they're going to put on. Then again, I'm sure it will just be more of God, Guns, 'Merica!
    Please, stop slandering the monkeys. Personally, I'd like to see the moderators (of the debate) start cutting mics; but that won't happen because the whole thing is more of a reality clown show than part of any democratic process. (It will probably be an entertaining one, especially to political junkies.)
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I think Trump will make some big blunders, as I expect him to be a bit flustered by being knocked off his perch by Carson.

I expect Fiorina to shine the brightest in the debate, though. While I disagree with her policies (and everyone's on that stage), I think she has the best delivery by far.

I expect Carson to fall asleep while talking, as usual.
    I know for sure that Trump will make another silly face, and the internet will make more memes/photoshops about it.