Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom4u2 View Post
    Same. From what I understood from my allergy doctor, it's caused by Birch allergy. I guess you have hay fever too?
    Rofl, what? It is? And yes, I'm allergic to birch and grass.

10+ Year Old Account
    It shouldn't be written the way she wrote it and it should be common sense. 6 to 8% of kids suffer from allergies, so it shouldn't be brand news that there will be allergic kids in your area.
    Really? Everyone knows the exact percentages? Everyone is able to pinpoint the exact kids who have allergies?

Next off, how often is this an issue? This is actually the first I am hearing of this being a problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    I stopped giving candy years ago and now give cheap generic sometimes annoying Halloween toys that I buy during clearance for the following year.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    And this isn't coming from someone without allergies; I have a pretty serious intolerance to gluten. I just don't expect strangers to be careful of my dietary issues, not unless it's a restaurant and I've been clear about my needs.
    Somewhat not on topic for the thread, so maybe reply by PM. How do you handle that? Servers almost always don't know how food is made. I do label my menu with a big bold GF on the items that are gluten-free, but not all places do that. Further, many items could be made GF. For example, a sandwich could be made without bread; basically you'd get a salad with an extra amount of what goes in the sandwich.

It sucks that kids with allergies have trouble with events like Halloween. They feel left out. I'd say, have the kid go with the friends, just not take candy, have a stash of approved goods at home.

Aside, when I showed my cousin how easy it is to make homemade ice cream, she almost cried. Her kid had never had ice cream because it always has a nut allergy warning.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

7+ Year Old Account
    Oh goodness. "Nuts, gluten or dairy"

I think just for that I'd be tempted to hand out peanut butter sandwiches on whole wheat bread, with a small container of milk. Just to spite her. Sucks for the kid though.
    You are not machines! You are not cattle! You are men! You have the love of Humanity in your hearts!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    What exactly was the bet I made with the Klingon sex workers?

I hope someone doesn't sig this post...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Really? Everyone knows the exact percentages? Everyone is able to pinpoint the exact kids who have allergies?

Next off, how often is this an issue? This is actually the first I am hearing of this being a problem.
    Just with pollen allergies in Sweden about 2 million people have it. Which is a little bit more than 20% of the population, idk about food allergies though. So, very high likelihood people know someone with allergies.

It's totally to care about what you put in your body, but don't inflict your will upon others. Jesus Christ, Halloween just isn't for that kid. One of the front page posts had it right. Exchange the candy for a safe to eat treat. That's parenting done right!

7+ Year Old Account
    6 to 8% of kids suffer from allergies, so it shouldn't be brand news that there will be allergic kids in your area.
    No, it shouldn't be. But it also shouldn't be the responsibility of every other household to sacrifice their holiday for what's actually the responsibility of the parents of those children.

And what about the kids that are allergic to carrots or certain fruit flavors? Or the kids who are diabetic? Or lactose intolerant?

At what point does it cease to be the responsibility of the village?

A kid can still experience trick or treating without having to eat the candy.
    Last edited by Malta; 2015-10-30 at 03:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilla Blomma View Post
    Just with pollen allergies in Sweden about 2 million people have it. Which is a little bit more than 20% of the population, idk about food allergies though.
    Pollen is common and nothing can be done about it without burning the land and salting it after

How many kids are sent to the hospital every Halloween due to allergies? Since I have never seen a news report on it, and instead still hear the same lies about poisoned candy (hint, the only actual case was by the kids own dad so he could collect insurance money), I assume its not that common if not incredibly rare, so rare that Halloween may not even matter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilla Blomma View Post
    Rofl, what? It is? And yes, I'm allergic to birch and grass.
    Yeah. I was having very sharp pain whenever I ate raw carrots or peppers, so I asked my doctor and he told me this. My parents used to think I was faking because I didn't want to eat my vegetables, so it was liberating to know I wasn't crazy or faking.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post

https://www.foodallergy.org/facts-and-stats - I'm surprised you never actually heard of that.

Peanuts are delicious! Peanut candy makers need business too. Peanut candies are the favorite of many people. Why in the hell would you expect the entire population to cater to the needs of a small minority? Solution is simple--if you are your kids are allergic to peanuts, don't eat them. Period. Leave every else the hell alone so they can enjoy their candy and holiday.

If you have a child with allergies it's your responsibility as the parent to teach them about it. Raise your child right and they won't get into trouble. If you are expecting everyone else to be the ones to watch out for your child's health problems that's just lazy parenting. People do not need to know what your allergies are and nor do they care. Just go through your kids candy and chuck the stuff they can't eat. It's that simple. Boo hoo little Billy might be mad he lost out on some Reese's Cups or something. That isn't my problem as the person spending MY money and killing my night to stay by my door and give out free candy.

what about people allergic to carrots?????
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah. I was having very sharp pain whenever I ate raw carrots or peppers, so I asked my doctor and he told me this. My parents used to think I was faking because I didn't want to eat my vegetables, so it was liberating to know I wasn't crazy or faking.

https://www.foodallergy.org/facts-and-stats - I'm surprised you never actually heard of that.
    I think you totally missed what I mean by problem. No shit that people have allergies.

how many kids are sent to the hospital each year because of Halloween candy, and the reason being allergies?

Because a reasonable parent will make their own accommodation instead of forcing the rest of the neighborhood cater to their child. Either go around on your planned route prior to Halloween and drop off appropriate candy for your child at the houses you will visit or keep a large bag of stuff the child can eat on hand and "trade" the candy they are allergic to after the night is over.

10+ Year Old Account
    Another issue

people with allergies look like everyone else

so,

unless the kid or parent tells me, "hey, do you have a candy without *X*, because allergies" I wont know.

Would a fix not be to just not give anything to any kids? What if you got diabetes? Can't eat much candy then. Also, everyone should install ramps so kids in wheelchairs have it easier. But not too steep, the fat kids should not be excluded because it is too hard to walk up!

Frankly, this is ridiculous in every way. If your kid can't eat the candy, sort it when he/she gets home. You can't force your requirements on others. Also, they are doing a damn charity in the first place. No one has to give out any candy, and if people start acting like this mother, i can see many starting just not to bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Matchles View Post
    ...go around on your planned route prior to Halloween and drop off appropriate candy for your child at the houses you will visit or keep a large bag of stuff the child can eat on hand and "trade" the candy they are allergic to after the night is over.
    That is an awesome idea!

Deleted
    Well, suddenly lots of problems with foods became clear to me when I read up about it. ._.