Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Blizzards been copying ideas since Warcraft 1 and Starcraft lol. Its a timeless tradition I guess. The timewalking stuff isn't even an original idea.

FPS give me headaches and motion sickness.

As such I wish they'd spent these development dollars on making WoD more engaging.

Because, as everyone knows, it's all about me.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    FPS give me headaches and motion sickness.

As such I wish they'd spent these development dollars on making WoD more engaging.

Because, as everyone knows, it's all about me.
    Putting money into something wont make it better

Also i would rather have a Good new game rather than just another wow expansion

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarithus93 View Post
    I'm not saying Overwatch is bad or that copying is bad. Not every game needs to be completely new, and it's well known Blizzard takes what other companies make and then refines. I'm actually somewhat surprised and impressed by what little I've seen of Overwatch so far. However, it's clearly taking many, many things from Tf2. How do you feel about this and do you think it's something a lot of people notice or care about? Are they lazy, in any sense?
    been watching some beta streams and it looks 100x more fun than tf2, so i doubt anyone would care

Deleted
    How dare Blizzard not invent a new genre of games every time? Fucking slackers

Quote Originally Posted by reebelraabel View Post
    Blizzard has never, and probably will never, pioneer new genres. This is because the first person to plant the flag is rarely the one remembered for it. This has been how they've operated since their inception, particularly when they tried to acquire a license for Warhammer.
    "Today and forever I am your better, Arthas." - Illidan Stormrage

Would you rather they copy a shitty game that nobody likes?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by soulzek View Post
    That's like saying cat druid isn't a copy of rogue because (examples):
    1) its sinister strike has a different name
    2) its finisher does 100 less damage
    3) druid doesnt have prep

The playstyle/gameplay of the class is a copy.
    I don't think you've played a rogue and feral druid if you don't understand the differences in their playstyles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

ITT we discuss Sturgeon's Law.

Also, Blizzard isn't known for innovation, but for perfecting what has already been established.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

Every game copies another game. That's just how it goes. If you think they didn't, your wrong. Go ask their developers and they will tell you they drew inspiration from X game for X feature in the game. Anything you try to create has been made by someone else already, it's just looking at those and seeing how you can implement and possibly adjust to suit your game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    I don't really think the "it's a genre" defense really work, especially with things like someone else mentioned with the Engineer basically being copypasted into Overwatch. It's very obvious that they're basically reinventing TF2 but... I don't mind.

I loved TF2. Therefore, I'm probably going to like TF2 with new stories and altered characters.

I recognize that it's ripping stuff off but, if it's done well, I honestly couldn't care less. A good game is a good game.
    If using a certain artstyle is ripping things off, then I think the gaming industry is worse then I thought.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

If you get mad at this you'll be really mad when you see dota 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

"Slap in the face", is that the new go to phrase for all the offended teenagers trying to sound like adults?

But yes, "copying" is bad. Just like Iron Man movies are a clear absolute copy of Superman movies. A flying man of steel painted in primary colors like red?!?!! Or how about that Olympic runner Bolt guy? He's clearly copying that leg moving thing that everyone before him did, only slightly better.

You clearly don't like blizzard because they didn't rebuild silver moon for you or something but really?

Isn't that a Blizzard thing?

10+ Year Old Account
    There's fully admitted inspirations by TF2, but none of the characters play the same. If we're gonna hold Blizzard's feet to the fire for general inspirations, then every fantasy RPG is copying Dungeons and Dragons.

One poster mentioned Engineer.

TF2 Engineer:

BASIC kit..
    Turret with 3 levels. Can be placed on many flat surfaces but not all. Takes 200 metal per upgrade. Level 3 sentries get rockets.

Dispenser with 3 levels. The higher the level the more supplies it holds and the faster it heals/dispenses those supplies.

Teleporter with 3 levels. Higher level, faster teleport recharges after use.

Shotgun... Medium range spread gun.
    Pistol... Short range quick chippa.

Wrench... Used to build things faster and to repair. Engineers can repair each others buildings and upgrade each others buildings.

Torbjorn...

He has a handgun with a long range shot and a shotgun like alternate fire.

He can build a turret. This turret has 3 levels, with the final level firing faster for more damage and has more HP. Turrets cost nothing to build. Turret placement is any relatively flat surface you can reach, including the payload itself on payload maps. Turrets cannot be moved. You can decide to build a new one starting at level 1 though, so choose location wisely.

He can switch to his hammer. It is used to build and upgrade the turret using "Scrap." Scrap comes from the bodies of dead enemies. Scrap does not regen on death. He cannot repair or upgrade another Torbjorn's turret. The hammer can be used in melee, although all characters have melee attacks anyway.

He can distribute armor packs to allies at the cost of 50 scrap.

He has an ultimate charged by giving/receiving damage called "molten core" this removes the scrap cost of upgrading his turret and greatly increases build speed. It also enhances the damage from his gun.

Fundamentally the two games are different in that TF2 is an item based game where a core set of classes are diversified through equipment while Overwatch diversifies by not using classes and making every unique combination a new hero.

Really it's like the difference between a pick-up and a sedan. They're both automobiles, but not the same.
    Last edited by Flutterguy; 2015-10-31 at 11:54 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by reebelraabel View Post
    To be honest even WoW is a ripoff. Do we care? No, of course we don't.
    Love ya blizzard.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Axaron View Post
    Blizzard has never, and probably will never, pioneer new genres. This is because the first person to plant the flag is rarely the one remembered for it. This has been how they've operated since their inception, particularly when they tried to acquire a license for Warhammer.
    Who was the second guy to walk on the moon? Nah we only remember the first one.

Quote Originally Posted by timesmash View Post
    "Slap in the face", is that the new go to phrase for all the offended teenagers trying to sound like adults?

But yes, "copying" is bad. Just like Iron Man movies are a clear absolute copy of Superman movies. A flying man of steel painted in primary colors like red?!?!! Or how about that Olympic runner Bolt guy? He's clearly copying that leg moving thing that everyone before him did, only slightly better.

You clearly don't like blizzard because they didn't rebuild silver moon for you or something but really?
    Don't forget those dastardly bands like Metallica absolutely copying the Beatles. I mean, c'mon, 3 guitarists and a drummer and BOTH SING INTO MICROPHONES. Fucking copy cats.
    Quote Originally Posted by videotape View Post
    To vehemently defend the claim like OP would is to present to these very forums a ludicrous display of ignorance and unawareness so profound and comical that it might actually deserve its own time slot on The History Channel.

"It ain't about who did it first, it's about who did it right."

- Drake

Oh, this topic. Again.

As if TF2 didn't outright take from Quake, or Quake outright from Doom.

Let's face it: Overwatch steals from Doom! ID Tech should sue Blizzard!

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I wish people would stop acting like Doom was the first FPS when it wasn't even the first FPS from ID.
    Did I say it was the first FPS? Did I?