Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Koenigstiger View Post
    Going to predict B2P. Hero rotation just doesn't work in a fps game with 18 heroes and changing mid game. And I highly doubt that just selling skins/sprays would be enough to finance F2P.

F2P for hearthstone was a good choice, because you want/need cards and are highly incentivized to buy packs. For hots they didn't even had a choice, B2P for a moba with lol and dota 2 out? Suicide.

But the only other game in the same genre as overwatch is TF2 and that's very old and even the people that love it are pretty bored by it nowadays. And B2P is the goto way in fps anyway (see cod, csgo, battlefield, battlefront). Combined with the HUGE blizzard bonus B2P would be a guaranteed success.
    They'll do B2P with a starter edition. That seems to be the way they handle things now for their bigger games. While F2P makes sense for HOTS and HS, a model more close to their big IPs (starcraft/diablo) might be the way they go with Overwatch.

I think we'll find out for sure at Blizzcon though.

There's no way it'll be anything but free to play. mmw
    "Today and forever I am your better, Arthas." - Illidan Stormrage

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Axaron View Post
    There's no way it'll be anything but free to play. mmw
    So you want P2W ? Dunno if you played the game but switching heroes DURING the match is the most important aspect of the game. It's about counters. So.. if I can just throw money at the game and pick a hero that counters you completely while you can't do that because you didn't spent money - that's clear P2W.

Hey, would be cool for me, I'm not exactly poor :P.

Haven't there been some indications of Overwatch also going to consoles? That would make me think it's at least b2p.

Anything can be harmful when taken to an extreme. Even moderation.

Quote Originally Posted by Meaux View Post
    Haven't there been some indications of Overwatch also going to consoles? That would make me think it's at least b2p.
    F2P is still possible even when considering consoles.

Quote Originally Posted by Koenigstiger View Post
    Going to predict B2P. Hero rotation just doesn't work in a fps game with 18 heroes and changing mid game. And I highly doubt that just selling skins/sprays would be enough to finance F2P.

F2P for hearthstone was a good choice, because you want/need cards and are highly incentivized to buy packs. For hots they didn't even had a choice, B2P for a moba with lol and dota 2 out? Suicide.

But the only other game in the same genre as overwatch is TF2 and that's very old and even the people that love it are pretty bored by it nowadays. And B2P is the goto way in fps anyway (see cod, csgo, battlefield, battlefront). Combined with the HUGE blizzard bonus B2P would be a guaranteed success.
    Seriously, how to justify constant updates with buy to play model? I understand Diablo 3 has something similar but Diablo si far away from constant updates.

Honestly, I can't see buy to play model working in any fashion with overwatch. I has to be some form of F2P. I doubt they will sell heroes, but there is tons of things you can sell.

It will almost certainty be like Heroes of the Storm.

Buy heroes with real money, and since not all heroes are equal, the game would be pay for advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by paralleluniverse View Post
    It will almost certainty be like Heroes of the Storm.

Buy heroes with real money, and since not all heroes are equal, the game would be pay for advantage.
    They already said they don't want to do that. So hopefully, heroes are really all unlocked.

Quote Originally Posted by ManiaCCC View Post
    They already said they don't want to do that. So hopefully, heroes are really all unlocked.
    Where did they say that?

Yes, hopefully all heroes are unlocked.

Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Feali View Post
    CS:GO was dead before skins. They give you 0.0% advantage. Purely cosmetic. Stickers pay for the tournaments. It's literally perfect.
    Yea, but that only works for few select games. CS:GO and Dota2 has Valve and Steam behind it

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by paralleluniverse View Post
    Where did they say that?

Yes, hopefully all heroes are unlocked.
    Multiple interviews, dev streams. At this point it is fact that all the heroes are free
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

Seriously, how to justify constant updates with buy to play model? I understand Diablo 3 has something similar but Diablo si far away from constant updates.

Honestly, I can't see buy to play model working in any fashion with overwatch. I has to be some form of F2P. I doubt they will sell heroes, but there is tons of things you can sell.
    B2P works for 99.9% of FPS games on the market.

It will be B2P with some small transactions for things like armor color, certain portraits, etc.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why can't we just pay for a game and be done with it..

Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    Why can't we just pay for a game and be done with it..
    Because server and continued development costs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksoldierr View Post
    Multiple interviews, dev streams. At this point it is fact that all the heroes are free
    Free doesnt mean unlocked from get-go tho... All HotS heroes are "free" you just need a ton of ingame currency to buy them.

Tho the HotS system doesnt really fit a game where you basicly "have to" change heroes mid-game to counter their strat/lineups...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapo View Post
    Free doesnt mean unlocked from get-go tho... All HotS heroes are "free" you just need a ton of ingame currency to buy them.

Tho the HotS system doesnt really fit a game where you basicly "have to" change heroes mid-game to counter their strat/lineups...
    I'm assuming it would be like TF2 in that regard. Imagine if you had to unlock medic as a new player or the soldier? Spy? It just doesn't work for games like that and Overwatch is essentially the same type of game.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    Hahaha.

More like, because they can get away with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilian View Post
    Hahaha.

More like, because they can get away with it.
    What are some Multiplayer FPS do you know that don't have some sort of microstransactions or constant DLC to keep pumping funds into the game for server and development costs? Multiplayer being the key word.

By raking in piles of money by letting people buy your game since everyone is on the hypetrain anyway.

And if this game needs constant updates I don't even want to play it. An FPS shouldn't need constant updates, maybe some tweaks to balance things out or a minor bug fix here and there. It's not an MMO that requires weekly/monthly maintenance and a shit ton of balancing with a huge amount of bugs that can be overlooked.

B2P works for every other big FPS. Going F2P would be dumb.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    Then add a subscription fee. Much better than all this small transactions.

D3 is doing very good. 30M sales.

Seriously. If you ever dare saying " OH BUT YOU DON'T HAVE TO PAY ". My ass.

Hearthstone. You don't have to pay, no. But you'll have to grind your sorry ass for HOURS every DAY to just compete with people who slide their credit cards. And that's first of all a LONG journey ahead.

I miss old - Buy - Subscription. Small transactions such as server change, faction or other stuff. Everything else, even tiny outfits destroy the game because developers wont create new content for free, but charge for it in addition to all that crap.

Deleted

Well like every fps does it nowadays? DLCs and season pass...