Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Microsoft to discontinue Windows 7 and 8.1 next November

Updated late October, Microsoft's "Windows lifecycle fact sheet" shows October 31, 2016, as the "end of sales for PCs with Windows preinstalled" for both Windows 7 Professional and Windows 8.1, a change spotted by CNET sister site ZDNet. After that date, the only choice for consumers will be to purchase new computers with Windows 10 installed. The lone exception will be businesses with license agreements that entitle them to choose which version of Windows they want preinstalled.

http://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-t...s-in-one-year/

But it's not like they're discontinuing support for W7/8/8.1 yet right? It's all good then. Windows 10 isn't even that bad.

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    So, what you are saying is that if I want to get a new pre-built computer, I need to get a copy of Windows 7 now and strip out the Windows 10 when the time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    But it's not like they're discontinuing support for W7/8/8.1 yet right? It's all good then. Windows 10 isn't even that bad.
    I agree. I like 10.

15+ Year Old Account
    10 is the best thing ever in terms of Windows.
    One year is pretty little though considering they are both fairly new OS's from company IT investment pov and they dont get the free update to 10.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

I think Microsoft wants to get everyone using Windows 10.

A lot of businesses in the US still use XP.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    This really shouldn't be a surprise, and it happens with every new release of most software packages.

Windows 7 extended support ends in 2020, and 8.1 in 2023. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

Again, typical for every piece of software made by large corporations.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

A lot of businesses in the US still use XP.
    No software company wants to be supporting 4 different versions of their products. Microsoft is not alone in this regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenotetsuken View Post
    So, what you are saying is that if I want to get a new pre-built computer, I need to get a copy of Windows 7 now and strip out the Windows 10 when the time comes.
    Or get with the times and use Win10.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

A lot of businesses in the US with government contracts still use XP.
    Fixed the second part for you. That said, there are a surprising number of "offline" NT4, 2k and XP systems in the world. Kiosks and ATMs are a great example.

I still find W10 a bit too intrusive for my liking, plus I don't think I'll ever be on board with their metro stylistic choices they have such a hard on for.

I expect I'll finally go back to Ubuntu or something once W7 support ends.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Windows 10 is ok. Its funny that MS had to give it away free to kill the behemoth Windows 7 that was cannibalizing their own sales. They need to work on a more gradual improvement schema if they want people to consistently pay for upgrades. How many times has M$ bit themselves by trying to reinvent the wheel, have it roundly rejected and then have to reconcile in the next version?

Of course, they're the biggest software company in the world, maybe I'm talking out my ass.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

I am switching full time to debian if this happens. Windows 10 is a joke, privacy wise with maybe the ltsb version in a bit better state. And imagine i am one of the biggest M$ fans back from dos and 3.1.

Truly pathetic what they did with Windows 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Right. I forget the exact dates, but extended support (meaning you still get security updates, among a couple of other things) for Windows 7 doesn't stop until January 2020 last time I checked. Windows 8 gets 2-3 years on top of that. So it'll be a few more years before Windows 7 goes the way of Windows XP.

I'm still holding off on upgrading to Windows 10 for a few more months. I'm pretty comfortable with Windows 7 on an SSD at the moment. DX12 is Win10's biggest selling point for me, and I don't even have a video card that can take advantage of it right now.

I don't have any huge problems with Windows 10 though. I have installed it on my laptop at work, and it works well enough. Had some issues with the touchpad that I resolved by turning off all the "gestures" shit, since I don't use them anyway. I also went through and turned off all of the "let us get to know you better" shit that I could find. I also don't like Edge, but then I'm a Firefox user anyway, so it's not like anything is changing in that area for me. Aside from those things, I haven't had any problems with it.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2015-11-04 at 03:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    10 is the best thing ever in terms of Windows.
    One year is pretty little though considering they are both fairly new OS's from company IT investment pov and they dont get the free update to 10.
    10 is good. I still think I might like 8.1 better, though.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    So... build your own computer? It's pretty much insanely easy to do nowadays. And it isn't windows 7 itself that's being discontinued, but the use of it as the OS for prebuilt computers. As has been pointed out, extended support is going to still be going on for five more years.

This might be worth it just to watch the waves of misery by the people who have panic attacks over the "privacy violations" and what not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    Windows 10 is ok. Its funny that MS had to give it away free to kill the behemoth Windows 7 that was cannibalizing their own sales. They need to work on a more gradual improvement schema if they want people to consistently pay for upgrades. How many times has M$ bit themselves by trying to reinvent the wheel, have it roundly rejected and then have to reconcile in the next version?

Of course, they're the biggest software company in the world, maybe I'm talking out my ass.
    It's important to try to reinvent the wheel every so often. Even if you're not successful, you learn things in the attempt because you're forced out of the status quo.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Will they discontinue support for Windows 7, or simply discontinue sales? Because I am damn happy with Windows 7, and this is kind of a big deal for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    And it isn't windows 7 itself that's being discontinued, but the use of it as the OS for prebuilt computers. As has been pointed out, extended support is going to still be going on for five more years.
    Good to know.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    10 is malware.
    It is? Mine certainly isn't. You must've gotten a bad copy. Don't download your Windows copies dude, buy them legit.

Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    Will they discontinue support for Windows 7, or simply discontinue sales? Because I am damn happy with Windows 7, and this is kind of a big deal for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Good to know.
    The article says not until 2020 and like 2023 for 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by Ixuzcc View Post
    It is? Mine certainly isn't.
    It is, you just don't have the ability to analyze the network traffic that comes out of it.