Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Russia sends air-defence systems to back Syria campaign

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/1...093227825.html

Russia's air force chief says Moscow has sent anti-aircraft missile systems to Syria to back its campaign of air strikes in the country.

Viktor Bondarev said in an interview published by a Russian newspaper on Thursday that the air-defence systems would be used to prevent potential air attacks on its troops in Syria, who are backing government forces against opposition groups.

Bondarev told the Kosmsomolskaya Pravda paper that Russia "took into account every possible threat" when making the decision to deploy the weapons.

"There could be various force majeur situations. Let us imagine a military plane is hijacked and taken to a neighbouring country and air strikes are aimed at us. And we have to be ready for this," he said.

Bondarev said Russia has "more than 50 planes and helicopters" in Syria.

The statement came amid Moscow's efforts to restart peace talks between the Syrian government and opposition groups.

The Russian news agency Sputnik reported on Thursday that the Free Syrian Army (FSA), a main umbrella group of opposition fighters, had agreed to meet Russian officials in Abu Dhabi, the capital of the United Arab Emirates.

Sputnik quoted Mahmoud al-Adandi, the coordinator of the dialogue, as saying that the FSA delegation, comprised of representatives from 28 brigades, would hold talks with Russian foreign and defence ministry officials.

Adandi also reportedly said that the meeting would discuss the creation of a joint operating centre to fight the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) and al-Nusra Front, a Syrian armed opposition group.

However, representatives of four FSA groups dismissed the report.

Bashar al-Zoubi, a prominent rebel figure, said there was no sign that the Russians wanted an "honest solution" to the war, and therefore there was no contact with them.

Zoubi, who is head of the political office of the FSA-affiliated Yarmouk Army, added that he had not heard anything of the meeting.

Related: Russia offers to coordination with rebels and US in Syria

Fares al-Bayoush, head of another FSA group, Fursan al Haq, also said no FSA delegation was going to meet the Russian officials.

"They are meeting with Syrians who do not represent anyone, and claim they met representatives of the Free Army," he said.

A member of the FSA-affiliated Sham Revolutionary Brigades' leadership council, as well as the head of the FSA group 13th Division fighting in western Syria, echoed the denials.

At least 50 people were reportedly killed and others were injured on Thursday after Russian warplanes bombed a market in the centre of Al-Bukamal in eastern Syria.

The town, which borders Iraq, has been under ISIL control since last summer.

15+ Year Old Account
    Okey... ?

Cold war is back into full swing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Russia bombing civvies on purpose? Not much of a surprise
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    Don't you mean the US? I think you do.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

The "moderate" rebels are keeping normal civilians in cages as human shields all over the country.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by damajin View Post
    Estimated civilian casualties in the last year of our bombing campaign are lower than the casualties for this single attack
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by damajin View Post
    Didn't you know? The US is the only country in the world with a green pass on bombing people, the bigger the bomb the better !

15+ Year Old Account
    Estimated civilian casualties in the last year of our bombing campaign are lower than the casualties for this single attack
    Hard to know the real story, we only really know what intelligence agencies or "source on the ground" are telling reporters. I would wager it has a lot to do with who defines who is innocent.

The US probably don't consider their own targets innocent, and Russia probably don't consider their own targets innocent.

7+ Year Old Account
    And what do you want to be discussed ? This is just gona be Russia /USA bashing from post to post

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Okey... ?
    Air defense

Which organizations do not have planes?

It's not good for either side, difference being that the US military has a now well established long term reputation for it, thus implying their notion of collateral damage is well nigh doctrine at this point. This is the military and government that thought 500k Iraqi children dying was a price worth paying, thanks Madeleine Albright. Syrian cilivians are fucked either way, due to the tactic of moving soldiers and weaponry into urban areas to use civilians as meatshields.

Quote Originally Posted by Shige View Post
    Didn't you know? The US is the only country in the world with a green pass on bombing people, the bigger the bomb the better !

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Air defense

Sure, but I mean.. They have a base full of people and airplanes, wanting to protect it is natural, and showing force is typical of Russia. There's nothing weird about it.

The US without a doubt has a plan for what to do if something kicks of with Russia, why be surprised that Russia has the same?

Air-defense systems to protect against what exactly? They're bombing groups with zero air power. Their hypothetical scenario to justify it is cringe worthy as well.

Do they really think the U.S. or any other nation operating in the area is going to start knocking their shit out of the air or start bombing their forces? As it's the only reason to have air-defenses present.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Notchris View Post
    Air-defense systems to protect against what exactly? They're bombing groups with zero air power. Their hypothetical scenario to justify it is cringe worthy as well.

Do they really think the U.S. or any other nation operating in the area is going to start knocking their shit out of the air or start bombing their forces? As it's the only reason to have air-defenses present.
    You know that before that USA anounced that it is sending AIR /AIR fighters to their forces there ? Pretty much a reasonable responce to that in my eyes from russia.
    Last edited by Xtin; 2015-11-05 at 10:09 PM.

I am reading that they send S-400 instead of S-300, along side with the Pantisir-S1 and some Club-K to guard the coast.
    This move comes in response of USA sending those F-15s to Turkey. Also, France is sending their aircraft carrier, i won't be surprised if we see some SU-35s heading down that way in the next few days.
    Last edited by Ulmita; 2015-11-05 at 09:48 PM.

*Insert John McCain interview clip talking about arming "moderate rebels" to shoot Russian planes out of the sky*

Taking precautions against anything that the US military/government might do is a wise decision to make.

One reason?

U.S. Brings Dogfighters to Counter Russians Over Syria

The Pentagon is sending F-15Cs—supposedly to fight the ISIS war. But the jets only have air-to-air weapons, and ISIS has no planes. Which means the real adversary is Russia.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Air defense

ISIS has an airforce, it is called the US airforce. The AA is there to make the US behave n not try to bully the Rus airforce, so cowboys don't get any funny ideas.

Uhm, AA has been on the ground since september, how is this news now?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulmita View Post
    Let the games begin!