I don't know if the new leveling system will really be much better than WoD

In WoD, the leveling was great 1-3 times, but then it became a massive chore. This was mostly due to the horribly linear leveling that it had. It seems Blizzard wants to fix this in Legion, with the pick your zone mentality, While this is pretty awesome, with only 4 leveling zones, it seems that it won't improve much, we will run out of variation quite quickly. I am worried and Ecstatic at the same time.

What, do you want a different leveling experience every time you level a new character? That's not realistic. More WoD leveling please.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    What, do you want a different leveling experience every time you level a new character? That's not realistic. More WoD leveling please.
    ...I didn't say that...I said the new system in Legion looks really good, but with only 4 zones it may fall short.

Honestly that's just how leveling is, on later character it will never be as enjoyable. I'd still much rather do warlords leveling than something like tbc or wrath, and this legion system sounds like a decent improvement on top of warlords.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmahaffe View Post
    ...I didn't say that...I said the new system in Legion looks really good, but with only 4 zones it may fall short.
    Well, but you can arrange the zones as you see fit. For example, I would redo zones I didn't like that much first to have smooth sailing after that.
    That's fine for me.

Deleted
    Also hopefully there will be more content than strictly necessary to level (just like it is now), so you can pick and choose, take some alt paths here or there etc. That + the ability to mix and match zones in any order, or even to hop between zones at will (like, do one storyline in zone A, then another in zone B, come back to finish zone A, run the dungeon quests in dungeons A and B etc). This isn't ideal, as no amount of shuffling will make it magically fresh on you 3rd, 4th or 5th alt, but I guess it *will* increase replayability for sure.

It'll also be easier to skip a zone you don't like, if all zones are the same and there are no semi-mandatory quests (like garrison quests in WoD).

I still hope there's some kind of faster leveling for alts, like they did with the Garrison XP potion. As someone with a ton of alts, leveling gets really tedious and I like how with flying I can just gather treasures to level now when I'm on #10.
    No surrender! 70 Vanguard - The Star Forge

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's good from a couple of perspectives. They spun the friend angle but that's not the true strength of this system.

Primarily, by giving people the choice of which zone they want to play first, they are mitigating the "dogpile into Hellfire Peninsula/Jade Forest/Shadowmoon Valley" problem that occurred with recent expansions. By spreading players out across more zones, with the phasing and zone instancing techniques in place now, we can hope that the godawful "week 1 lag monster" will be silent this time.

Secondarily, if there is a zone you truly hate, you should be able to just ignore it on future alts, and still quest the other zones at whichever level you like and in whichever order you like, without feeling like you have to level in dungeons only to avoid being forced into a zone you dislike until you are high enough level to qualify for quests in the next zone.

Anyway. Frankly I think their #1 goal was to spread people out, but "hey we're spreading you out so our game won't constantly crash for the first 2 weeks" sounds bad, so they said "hey we're making it so you can quest with your friends in any zone anytime", which is a better way to present it in a huge public forum (where they don't typically like to admit their past failings so loudly).