Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    So now its about fighting paternalism. I can actually respect that since it is about valuing liberty and autonomy.
    Fighting against paternalism - against all forms of oppression - is about valuing equality. Liberty and autonomy flow from equality; you will never have the first two so long as you do not possess the third.

I trust you don't have an authoritarian streak.
    No. But, then again, I do not consider the right to exploit, subjugate, or oppress someone else to be a right worth either having or respecting. There are far too many closeted - and not-so-closeted - authoritarians who scream of tyranny and dictatorship once that right has been properly and justly stripped from them.

Not sure if this has been posted yet (I couldn't find it)

But Mizzou is now telling students to call the police if they witness "hateful or hurtful" speech.

http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=6967

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Illuminance View Post
    Not sure if this has been posted yet (I couldn't find it)

But Mizzou is now telling students to call the police if they witness "hateful or hurtful" speech.

http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=6967
    Oh come the fuck on. Fuck all of this.

Deleted
    Just leave this one here :

http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=6965

lol

Quote Originally Posted by Slybak View Post
    Being paternalistically reduced to a mere tenant of a social body rather than a full and equally respected member - whether that body is as grand as a nation or as small as a university campus - is actually oppressive. And you'd know this if you spent a single moment of your life being treated as such, because we are all, to some extent or another, prisoners of our own experience. It's not important to you because fighting against that kind of paternalism is not within your own experience, and is therefor alien to your politics.

It's not alien to those students. That you are unaware of this is forgivable. That you call them liars without even knowing them and their experience is not.
    There is plenty of paternalism to go around on both sides of the ideological spectrum. By creating 'safe zones' and an ideology of victimization, are we not also creating a culture of lowered expectations, which is itself a strong expression of paternalism?
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Where is the proof of the poop swastika? Where is the proof of anything? Oh wait, you don't need evidence if you yell loudly enough. And good for the administrators who quit. No one should want to deal with these adult babies.